Information on new HD Channels & response to FreeTV's EPG Announcement

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV, November 19, 2007, 02:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightbreed

Kirben

A few more weeks of waiting, there was a response from Daniel Hall in similar thread, at the Australian Media Center Community forums:
To confirm, the current time frame is mid January to have the HD channels up and running, we have had people laboriously watching and writing down everything that has been on for the HD channels since they diverged from what is shown on SD.

dJOS

I wish they'd hurry up, im missing recordings of shows I like!! :(
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

Marc

Please hang in there. Everything possible is being done to support the HD channels as soon as we can.

chopper

Thanks.  Encouraging you to continue with haste.  Look forward to it... as does everyone by the looks  :D

dishy

So, why can't we be told what the actual problem is?

Apparantly it has something vaguely to do with IceTV's "different methods" - but if these methods are failing (which they are) - then why not use the same methods that others like ebroadcast.com.au do?

If they can do it, why not IceTV? I haven't seen an up-front explanation - every mention of this topic is shrouded in mystery, like it is some sort of cloak-and-dagger thing.

Marc

QuoteSo, why can't we be told what the actual problem is?
There's no problem at all. We've been working around the clock since the day HD broadcasts have started. The process just takes time. There's been staff on this all through the entire holiday period. Every single thing that can be done is being done to ensure we have a legal and accurate guide for Ten HD and 7 HD.

QuoteApparantly it has something vaguely to do with IceTV's "different methods" - but if these methods are failing (which they are) - then why not use the same methods that others like ebroadcast.com.au do?
Do you know how ebroadcast.com.au gets their guide data? I couldn't find any information on their site that mentions where it comes from.

Keep in mind that there's a big difference between displaying data on a website and enabling recording features on PVRs and media centers. The later is far more likely to be met with close inspection by the commercial stations.

QuoteIf they can do it, why not IceTV? I haven't seen an up-front explanation - every mention of this topic is shrouded in mystery, like it is some sort of cloak-and-dagger thing.
We've spent a lot of time perfecting our methods of building a completely independent EPG, so it's not likely any IceTV staff member will publish sensitive information like that here.

We're very open about most of what we do though and we're committed to giving our users as much flexibility as possible. If our guide wasn't independent, then we'd be bound by the legal restrictions placed on us by its source. So, it's good for everyone that we do things the way we do.

dishy

I don't see what the legal issue is. Since data such as this is not copyrightable (like recipes, album track listings or geographic information, for example), then why can't you just copy it from ebroadcast?

dJOS

Quote from: dishy on January 04, 2008, 06:42:46 PM
I don't see what the legal issue is. Since data such as this is not copyrightable (like recipes, album track listings or geographic information, for example), then why can't you just copy it from ebroadcast?

Cause a pack of A Holes (aka Telstra) won a court battle that essentially allowed compilations of facts (telephone numbers in this case) to be copy-writable ... surprisingly in the USA the same type of court case went the other way and so anyone can use anyone elses TV guide data with no issues.
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

dishy

So, is anybody doing anything about that ruling? Such as getting the judge drawn and quartered... I mean overturning the bad decision? Or do we just act like typical aussies and sit on our arses? These things have to be defied, as they are pure nonsense. Following foolish law is something only fools should do.

Gary

This all seems very circular and non-productive -

IceTV already did do something in court - they defended themselves successfully.

The TV stations are adding copyright details to all the FTA EPG info they are broadcasting.

It is not the TV show info that is the main basis for copyright, it is the compiling and presenting of the guides.

IceTV have worked out a combination of ways to compile the information in order to avoid any claims of infringement. One of those, I believe is just watching TV and making presumptions on how it will be scheduled based on those observations.

When they are ready to provide the info they will.

(and yes I would like it now too but it ain't happening till they are ready :))

coldchickens

Theres a bit of buzz about tivo coming to town. The commercial stations may be protecting a vested interest in that project.
It is unusual that they would put up such a fight without some return on the associated costs of that fight.
:-\
Another great independent idea squashed my corporate giants cashing in.
What odds am I offered?

nightbreed

I have spent a small fortune on my HTPC system based on the fact that IceTV would be at the heart of it. Without a complete guide it's pretty much useless. I really hope something happens soon or as soon as Tivo is released i'm switching!  >:(

dgaust

Personally I can wait until it is available provided it isn't too much longer.

However, I am disappointed that the Copy SD listing to HD option has been disabled, this still relatively useful. Certainly much more so than the current 'Coming Soon in 2008' that is currently there.

After all, there is only 50 hours of individual programming, and I know when it is (and I daresay Ice do as well by know). Even if they didn't know what shows were going to be broadcast when, just allow us to choose the SD listings to be displayed in the HD channels.

Or even better, do a copy of SD over to the HD channels, but remove the timeslots that commonly have HD programs shown in them. That'll leave a lot of data that we can use.