7HD Started Broadcasting Different Content To 7SD Last Night

Started by amandaandjustin, October 16, 2007, 04:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopper

Hi  :)  1st post.

the PDF says "7HD launched on 15 October and is the first phase of Seven’s multi-channelling plans, broadcasting across late primetime and weekends as part of a  considered strategy leading to the full-strength launch of a second Channel Seven in the coming weeks."

So, since 7HD is officially launched, as is says there, can Ice HD be updated with the content ?

philzgr8

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer. While FreeEPG seem to have things under control the people here at Ice seem to think it's perfectly fine to keep their subscribers in the dark and throw some tiny tidbit occasionally about legal ramifications. Frankly I don't understand their attitude when all people want is to be kept informed!

chopper

Hi,

just checked and http://www.yourtv.com.au/guide/index.cfm has it now as does http://www.yourtv.com.au/guide/index.cfm so hopefully the legal issues have gone away.

Any chance of an update, please ?  I'll also log a support query.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

I don't know what else can be said apart from Mitch's comments earlier in this thread...

Quote from: Mitch IceGuide on November 05, 2007, 04:05:41 PM
As a paying customer for awhile now, we appreciate your business and would have thought you'd understand the legal rammifications of IceTV referring to any Guide provided or connected with any commercial television channel in this country. The links provided in this forum by subscribers are welcome as a tool for fellow subscribers, but certainly not for IceTV to view. We take very seriously our current legal obligations and as a consequence, IceTV will not be providing these Channels until at least 2 weeks after 7 & 10 OFFICIALLY launch their new channels.

This holds true for any information on the guide sites listed above by Halsboss.

Nothing has changed since this was posted. To clarify though when talking about an official launch, for seven this means when full strength programming (as they put it) begins.

Regarding your comments about other so called epg service providers, FreeTV Australia and the other commercial TV networks following on from their recent announcement will be cracking down on any epg that isn't independently compiled or that are unable to prove that the information they provide is not a direct copy of their own copyrightable material or published guides.

Because of the great lengths that we go to in order to provide a legal service for Australian consumers with value adds like IceTV Remote and the soon to be released My Guide, we ask that our subscribers remain patient during the roll out of the new HD channels. Remembering that we receive no assistance from the commercial TV networks themselves.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

dgaust

Daniel,

I'm sure most of us will remain patient, as it in general only affects a small part of the programming day. However, I think most of us are more annoyed at the lack of communication on this issue.

To date, I am not aware of any email being sent to subscribers informing them of the fact that the guide data may be out on certain channels, and the reasons for this. The only official announcement I have seen is the post you quote, and I'm sure you would acknowledge that the majority of your customers never visit this forum.

This is a major oversight on behalf of Ice as we are paying for this product, and while some of us may understand the current situation when it comes to providing this data I would say that many of your subscribers would not.

I think this has highlighted a fundamental flaw in the way Ice communicates with its customers, and I hope it serves as a lesson and will see an improvement in communication from now on.

David.

chopper

Quote from: Daniel Hall on November 16, 2007, 09:47:13 AMTo clarify though when talking about an official launch, for seven this means when full strength programming (as they put it) begins.

Oh.  Same probably holds true for 9 and 10 then...

Quote from: Daniel Hall on November 16, 2007, 09:47:13 AMFreeTV Australia and the other commercial TV networks following on from their recent announcement will be cracking down on any epg that isn't independently compiled or that are unable to prove that the information they provide is not a direct copy of their own copyrightable material or published guides.

Wow, talk about the networks p*ssing on their highly valued customer base who watch their Ads, for no real gain except bad-will.  ... seems to be the fashion with bigger media companies nowadays, losing their corporate way, what with RIAA and whatnot sueing their customer base etc.  :o   Where do they find those guys ?

Quote from: Daniel Hall on November 16, 2007, 09:47:13 AM
Because of the great lengths that we go to in order to provide a legal service for Australian consumers... Remembering that we receive no assistance from the commercial TV networks themselves.

OK Look forward to it.  :)   Any chance of a summary date-countdown listing the channels and current status/issues/advisories, or something, in a pinned area maybe ? (even if t.b.a. dates)

Gary

I'm guessing these new channels are going to be challenging for Ice as one of their main techniques for compiling the guide is predictability, and looking at 7HD so far there is little repeating programming.

philzgr8

Quote from: dgaust on November 16, 2007, 10:20:20 AM
Daniel,

I'm sure most of us will remain patient, as it in general only affects a small part of the programming day. However, I think most of us are more annoyed at the lack of communication on this issue.

To date, I am not aware of any email being sent to subscribers informing them of the fact that the guide data may be out on certain channels, and the reasons for this. The only official announcement I have seen is the post you quote, and I'm sure you would acknowledge that the majority of your customers never visit this forum.

This is a major oversight on behalf of Ice as we are paying for this product, and while some of us may understand the current situation when it comes to providing this data I would say that many of your subscribers would not.

I think this has highlighted a fundamental flaw in the way Ice communicates with its customers, and I hope it serves as a lesson and will see an improvement in communication from now on.

David.

Hear hear! The fact is that plenty of users don't visit this forum for the simple reason that questions to the support people often go unanswered for days on end. Therefore most users would be inclined to think that IceTV do not consider this as a frontline support tool. Frankly I find that astonishing. In any case surely a simple email outlining the legal ramifications and the intended course of action together with regular updates would not be too much to ask for.

philzgr8

Well since I'm happy to criticise when things don't happen I guess it's only fair to praise when they do. I received an informative email from Ice yesterday along the lines of my above suggestion and I must thank Ice for taking the time. It would be nice to see this kind of notification become the norm rather than something that needs to be prompted. What would be even nicer is if the IceTV support team would make this forum a frontline support tool rather than giving it a cursory glance now and then.

dgaust

According to the Australian Financial Review, 7 are telling ad buyers they can start picking up ads from the 1st of December. So it looks like they might start full strength broadcasting then.

Here's the article.

download

Hi ICE,

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as the current ICE HD approach does seem flawed. Primarily, would appear to be continuing to provide scheduling information for the HD channels that is patently incorrect. Whilst I understand the 'reactive' nature of the ICE guide to new stations I wouldn't imagine not publishing information is probably within the bounds of copyright law :) Channel 10 have publicly announced various changes in their evening line up, so continuing to disseminate information to the contrary would seem to be a recipe for upset viewers who are setting HD timers for HD content that will only be shown on the SD channels.

While ICE can obviously continue to use its predictive capabilities outside of the hours where SD and HD diverges, perhaps they could/should provide 'TBA' scheduling for the time periods that for the moment remain unknown?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

philzgr8

If I recall correctly Ice have promised to start providing accurate HD guides within 2 weeks of the launch of the new HD format. On my reckoning that means that you should expect full programming from around the end of the month.

Rest assured that if it doesn't happen there will be a fairly vocal response from users who have become increasingly concerned as is evident in this thread over at the Australian Media Centre Forum: http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/icetv-discussion-only/25859-time-get-times-icetv.html

Kirben

I'm still waiting on a clarification of IceTV's exact meaning of 'full strength programming'.

If the additional afternoon/evening programming added to Seven HD from Monday 10th December 2007. is classed as 'full strength programming'. Then we should be seeing a proper Seven HD from Monday 24th December 2007 onwards.

Since Ten HD launched on Sunday 16th December 2007, we should see a proper TV guide on Sunday 30th December 2007.

philzgr8

Quote from: Kirben on December 17, 2007, 12:10:39 PM
I'm still waiting on a clarification of IceTV's exact meaning of 'full strength programming'.

If the additional afternoon/evening programming added to Seven HD from Monday 10th December 2007. is classed as 'full strength programming'. Then we should be seeing a proper Seven HD from Monday 24th December 2007 onwards.

Since Ten HD launched on Sunday 16th December 2007, we should see a proper TV guide on Sunday 30th December 2007.
Don't hold your breath! In my experience the people at Ice visit these forums very rarely and often choose to ignore the people who provide their very income for days on end!