Diversity remote control

Started by miles, October 09, 2007, 11:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miles

I bought an EyeTV Diversity a few weeks ago, and the remote control is crap. I thought initially it may have been low batteries, but I have replaced them. I've also used the remote both across the room and 2" from the diversity, and it's still no better.

I have to press on each button multiple times, sometimes buttons do random things (I press fast forward, and it rewinds, etc).

Is this just me, or are they just dodgy remotes?

Cheers

Miles.

sunfish

what computer are you using the remote with ? if it supports and apple remote these though not as featured are infinitely more intuitive . and support all basic functions within eyetv .
not much use if your computer doesn't have facilities for or come with an apple remote .

Marc

I'm not a huge fan of them either.

I don't mind the Apple Remote. I'm using that and a Logitech 525.

andrewscott

I might we way off track here but I think the eyeTV Diversity remote communicates directly with the eyeTV diversity unit and not via the Mac's infrared sensor. I did a quick experiment with eyeTV running in my iMac:

• completely cover the eyeTV diversity unit and trying the diversity remote control = no response
  • put the remote directly against the diversity IT sensor (if that's what it is) and shield both from the iMac = immediate response

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

It seems to me if the diversity's sensor is being blocked somewhat you'll get poor control with the diversity remote. When you switch to the Apple Remote you're signals are being received by your Mac's IT sensor.

Well, that's my theory. (I'm new to all this so don't be too hard on me if I've got it wrong. :)

htpcosx

I realise this is an old thread so in case someone in future is interested in a great remote setup for OSX and EyeTV Diversity, consider the Keyspan  Mac Remote.... works through furniture and from 15m+ away no problems.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/errf1/

And to get it to work flawlessly with EyeTV and many other apps, consider SofaControl http://www.gravityapps.com/sofacontrol/....  the combination is truly awesome for a Home Theatre setup, and what I personally use for my EyeTV Diversity setup.

Hope it helps

techydude

i have the later (2008) version of the EyeTV Diversity, and encountered exactly he same flakyness as the original poster did.

i can see where the IR receiver on the Diversity stick is (different to the 2007 version) and have that facing the lounge, unobstructed.  i've tried up close, & at the lounge.  i've replaced the batteries.   but so far it's "junk" - not happy, Jan.

i'd have thought that newer hardware & newer software would address such issues, but seemingly not?

so, what are i/we doing wrong?

i have a Harmony One that i'll get around to programming soon & hopefully that wil work - assuming the problem's with the actual remote control...

futzle

Quote from: techydude on April 23, 2009, 07:44:36 PM
i'd have thought that newer hardware & newer software would address such issues, but seemingly not?
so, what are i/we doing wrong?

Nothing.  It's just really poor quality equipment.  It's almost as if the people at Elgato know that you won't use it.  Like the stupid antennas that come with the Diversity, which everyone leaves in the box.

Quote from: techydude on April 23, 2009, 07:44:36 PM
i have a Harmony One that i'll get around to programming soon & hopefully that wil work - assuming the problem's with the actual remote control...

Do that.  Better, if your Mac is the right kind, program your Harmony Remote to pretend to be one (or more) Apple Remotes, and have it talk to your Mac that way, bypassing the silly EyeTV IR receiver entirely.  Harmony Remote + RemoteBuddy + Mac Mini is almost as usable as a regular PVR.