Ten HD channel number change 1st October 2007

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV, September 30, 2007, 05:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Hall at IceTV

As of 1st October 2007 Channel Ten (in capital cities) will change there channel lineup to be the following:

• 1 - Ten HD
  • 10 - Ten
  • 11 - Ten Guide
  • 12 - Ten HD
  • 100 - Ten Guide

The main change here is that channel 1 which was previously in Standard Definition will now be High Definition.

Anyone using channel 1 for recordings should change this to be channel 10.

On the morning of the 1st October we will be performing a check to ensure that this change goes through, once it does the guide will be updated with the new channel numbers.

Once the change is done the majority of PVR's will require a re-scan of the channels, all PVR's will need to re-map the channels. The best option to do this is a re-setup of the guide for your PVR, the details of which are located on our Support page at http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=list_faqs&faq_cat_id=26.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

JPP

Hi Daniel,

Does anyone know why Channel 10 doesn't (or doesn't want to) follow the "standard" convention that every other channel uses? What is the problem with 1 for SD and 10 for HD? I know it's not following the channel's normal "call sign", i.e one zero, but it makes life a lot easier as just one button press is needed to select it, just like channel 2SD/20HD, 7SD/70HD and 9SD/90HD? Makes life much easier to select channels - that's so obvious that I must be missing something. I've always wondered why we have LCN 12 for Chan 10 HD (was it just so that people would not inadvertently try to tune to channel 10 SD and would not get anything on their SD boxes?)
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Not sure actually, previously they probably kept 1 as Ten so that like 7 and 9 they had a single number option for quick channel changing (whereas channel number 10 would be two numbers).

No idea at all as to why they used channel 12 instead of 100, but its probably the same deal, two numbers instead of three.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Eaglehawk

Probably a stupid question, but does Canberra count as a "capital city"?

Daniel Hall at IceTV

In this case probably not, it shouldn't affect any areas that receive "Southern Cross Ten", just "Ten".

Good rule of thumb, if the channel numbers you currently have for "Ten" are 5 and 50 then you should be fine, if you receive "Ten" on 1, 10 and 12 then it will change.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

bodogbodog

Quote from: Daniel Hall on September 30, 2007, 09:17:03 PM
if the channel numbers you currently have for "Ten" are 5 and 50 then you should be fine, if you receive "Ten" on 1, 10 and 12 then it will change.

I"m using Vista media center - how do I tell what channel numbers I'm using for 10 and 10HD - I've looked under Settings/Guide but cant see anything obvious to tell me what channels I'm tuned to

As I just had to rescan and setup all my recording after have to install the hotfix for "lost channels" I'd like to avoid having to rescan all my channels and resetting my recording schedule - is there a way to do this yet still get the new correct channels for Channel 10's?
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: bodogbodog on September 30, 2007, 10:42:49 PM
Quote from: Daniel Hall on September 30, 2007, 09:17:03 PM
if the channel numbers you currently have for "Ten" are 5 and 50 then you should be fine, if you receive "Ten" on 1, 10 and 12 then it will change.

I"m using Vista media center - how do I tell what channel numbers I'm using for 10 and 10HD - I've looked under Settings/Guide but cant see anything obvious to tell me what channels I'm tuned to

As I just had to rescan and setup all my recording after have to install the hotfix for "lost channels" I'd like to avoid having to rescan all my channels and resetting my recording schedule - is there a way to do this yet still get the new correct channels for Channel 10's?

If you have not changed the channel order then under "Settings" => "TV" => "Guide" and then "Edit Channels" the numbers listed next to each channel are the channel numbers. Unfortunately one of the downsides of installing the "lost channels" patch means that the channel list will not automatically update as background scanning is disabled to stop 7 and SBS from re-scanning themselves.

If you have changed the channel order then unfortunately there is no way to tell what the channel numbers are.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

bodogbodog

Quote from: Daniel Hall on September 30, 2007, 11:16:09 PM
Unfortunately one of the downsides of installing the "lost channels" patch means that the channel list will not automatically update as background scanning is disabled to stop 7 and SBS from re-scanning themselves.

If you have changed the channel order then unfortunately there is no way to tell what the channel numbers are.

Thanks for the late night support Daniel

I have definitely changed the order of the channels to put them in the right order - and I don't know how anyone could not want to install the "lost channels" patch - I thought I was going nuts with the channels appearing and dissapearing on me!

So basically I need to do a rescan for all the channels and then set them up in the right order - and then go through and setup my recordings again....

I suppose with all these new digital channels coming out this is going to be a regular activity over the coming months?
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: bodogbodog on September 30, 2007, 11:32:11 PM
Thanks for the late night support Daniel

I have definitely changed the order of the channels to put them in the right order - and I don't know how anyone could not want to install the "lost channels" patch - I thought I was going nuts with the channels appearing and dissapearing on me!

So basically I need to do a rescan for all the channels and then set them up in the right order - and then go through and setup my recordings again....

I suppose with all these new digital channels coming out this is going to be a regular activity over the coming months?

Definitely agree about the lost channels patch. But yes it is definitely worthwhile doing a new channel scan to get the correct channel information going forward.

The next change for 7 HD will not be until December but even then the channel number will probably not change, just the content so this should not require a new channel scan.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

bodogbodog

Thanks

I think I'm just grumpy because I just installed the patches last Sunday night, did the rescan and setup my recordings - so the thought of doing the rescan and setting up of recordings again so soon isn't something I was expecting so soon

I guess it's only 30 minutes  ;)

Daniel Hall at IceTV

UPDATE:

As of 8am the channels have not been changed in Sydney as yet.

I will check throughout the day and update when the changes are made by Ten.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

UPDATE 2:

As of 11am Sydney time the channel numbers still haven't changed.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

zoszos68

I just scanned in Melbourne due to adding a signal amplifier. (bad area for tv where I am).
Still Channel 10 is the same.
Also anyone knno a link to this change did a search last night and the only thing found on the change was the IceTV site. IceTV site. I think I know that place :D
Zos

Jason W

Quote from: zoszos68 on October 01, 2007, 02:09:51 PMAlso anyone knno a link to this change

The PDF available from http://www.tencorporate.com.au/mediaReleaseDetail.aspx?type=1&id=632 states:
Underscoring its premium status, on any digital-capable device TEN's HD service is located at
channel number 1 (from 1 October) and 12. TEN's SD service is at 10 and the network's video
program guide at 11.

goldcoastguy

Maybe the public holiday in some states today may mean it wont happen until tomorrow.

Evan :->