Ten HD channel number change 1st October 2007

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV, September 30, 2007, 05:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Hall at IceTV

I've just checked again here in Sydney, and still no change...

It does look more than likely that it will be tomorrow at this stage, but I'll keep checking.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

rtraill

The original post said that all PVRs would need to do a rescan after the change.

If you aren't using Channel 1 at present and don't wish to do so in future why would you need to do a rescan if all the remaining stations are unchanged?  In particular 10 and 12?

JPP

Quote from: Daniel Hall on October 01, 2007, 03:24:20 PM
I've just checked again here in Sydney, and still no change...

It does look more than likely that it will be tomorrow at this stage, but I'll keep checking.
Maybe they've changed their minds  ;D. For channel surfing enthusiasts, having to punch in 2 digits instead of one is a real bummer - maybe TEN thinks they might loose out on some viewers. Tomorrow will tell I guess.

BTW Daniel, I didn't get one email notification of the new posts in this thread since my last posting - notification enabled and email address is correct - I just checked it. Anyone else having this problem?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Jason W

Quote from: JPP on October 01, 2007, 10:47:03 PM
Maybe they've changed their minds  ;D. For channel surfing enthusiasts, having to punch in 2 digits instead of one is a real bummer - maybe TEN thinks they might loose out on some viewers.
I think it's a silly idea. LCN 1 should remain as their primary channel (i.e. Ten SD). I hope they have changed their minds for their own sake.

In any case, still the same here on Gold Coast as of now.

JPP

Quote from: Jason W on October 02, 2007, 06:47:46 AM
Quote from: JPP on October 01, 2007, 10:47:03 PM
Maybe they've changed their minds  ;D. For channel surfing enthusiasts, having to punch in 2 digits instead of one is a real bummer - maybe TEN thinks they might loose out on some viewers.
I think it's a silly idea. LCN 1 should remain as their primary channel (i.e. Ten SD). I hope they have changed their minds for their own sake.

Yes, a much smarter idea would be to change the HD LCN to 10 instead of 12. At least they have stayed with the "standard format" 11 for their EPG channel.
Phil.

JPP

Well, I think they've seen sense - The SD stream is still on LCN 1 as at 4.30pm today.
Phil.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

I know, it doesn't seem like the change will go through today looking at the time.

I have put a call into Ten to find out if they still plan on doing the change, we shall wait and see what happens.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: rtraill on October 01, 2007, 10:21:48 PM
The original post said that all PVRs would need to do a rescan after the change.

If you aren't using Channel 1 at present and don't wish to do so in future why would you need to do a rescan if all the remaining stations are unchanged?  In particular 10 and 12?

If you are not using channel 1 and don't intend to use it for HD there shouldn't be any reason to re-scan the channels, as 12 should be the same as 1.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Just got more information from channel Ten, it appears that the change for channel 1 to being Ten HD will not happen until late October (unfortunately nothing more specific at this stage).
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

JPP

Quote from: Daniel Hall on October 02, 2007, 05:15:55 PM
Just got more information from channel Ten, it appears that the change for channel 1 to being Ten HD will not happen until late October (unfortunately nothing more specific at this stage).
You didn't try to talk them out of it did you? ;D.
Phil.

JPP

Quote from: Daniel Hall on October 02, 2007, 05:15:55 PM
I just spoke with Stephen Powell of Channel 10 - I was told that his position is General Manager. He is fully aware of the issue and he said that internally there is a lot of opposition to the proposed changeover as well.

I put it to him that Joe Public would probably prefer to leave the SD LCN at 1 and make the HD LCN 10 rather than the current 12. He said that that was the most popular view internally as well. The decision to switch to the new scheme is purely a marketing one - Channel TEN's marketing arm believes that now that they air the most advanced HD (1920 x 1080), Joe Public should be made aware of this by having 1 lead him to the HD channel.

I also mentioned that the channel surfing Joe Public might not see it that way and he agreed. However, the decision is entirely out of his hand, but he did say that he would pass my comments on to the marketing department.

What can we do? If you are opposed to this change, give Chan 10 a call and speak to Stephen Powell - phone 9650 1010. So far they appear to have had little feedback from the public, so your voice might just count.
Phil.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

It looks like Ten have finally made the change listed above, except they have also removed the guide channels.

The new lineup for Channel Ten is:

• 1 - Ten HD
  • 10 - Ten
  • 12 - Ten HD

The guides have been updated to have the new channel numbers in there.

As before if you have troubles picking up the channel or seeing the guide please run through the setup of your device again and you should be up and running.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Matt at IceTV

An official Service Announcement has just been made regarding the 7HD & TenHD Guide listings within the IceTV Guide on the News & Blog section of the IceTV website;

www.icetv.com.au/news/?p=103

We thank all users for remaining patient while we compile our HD Guide listings for these two new Channels.

Cheers,

mattk
General Manager
IceTV Pty
1300 654 803