Currently available IceTV-enabled PVRs

Started by mingus, June 06, 2022, 12:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mingus

Hi,
Just looking at replacing an ageing Humax with a new PVR.
Seems the only option currently available for a PVR is a Beyonviz with no hard drive?!
Is there anything else available, maybe I am missing something?
Thanks.

MD

Hi Mingus,

The current Beyonwiz "V2" uses an external USB hard drive which can be purchased cheaply from Officeworks etc.  They are roughly the size of a small mobile phone and are fairly invisible behind the PVR case.

It is important that the external HDD is reformatted by the V2 in its initial setup.

IceTV is also working on two options:

1) An IceTV "plugin" that will work on any "Enigma2" PVR which is the underlying hardware for the Beyonwiz PVRs so alternatives can be sourced from us.  It will initially be a 2 tuner with internal 1TB HDD, but supply is held up due to the global supply issues until at least August.

2) We are about 4 months away from a BYOB (bring your own box) IceTV app that will give all IceTV functionality to a PC, Raspberry Pi or MiniPC running Linux.  We will supply the app, tuners and remote control.

IanL-S

Quote from: MD on June 06, 2022, 01:15:02 PM[SNIP]
1) An IceTV "plugin" that will work on any "Enigma2" PVR which is the underlying hardware for the Beyonwiz PVRs so alternatives can be sourced from us.  It will initially be a 2 tuner with internal 1TB HDD, but supply is held up due to the global supply issues until at least August.

2) We are about 4 months away from a BYOB (bring your own box) IceTV app that will give all IceTV functionality to a PC, Raspberry Pi or MiniPC running Linux.  We will supply the app, tuners and remote control.

Supply issues with the V2 probably explains escalation in price; I paid $264.00 for mine in May 2021 and it is now selling for $429.00. I find the V2 more reliable than the T2 (which has a propensity to loose the USB tuner) and supports up to 5 tuners rather than 3.

The bring-you-own (device) sounds interesting - may be time to get my Raspberry Pi out of mothballs.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

mingus

Quote from: MD on June 06, 2022, 01:15:02 PMIceTV is also working on two options:

Ok, thanks for the reply.
These 2 options sound potentially more interesting than the Beyonwiz, especially option 2.
I will sit tight for now and see what develops.

Thanks.

prl

Quote from: MD on June 06, 2022, 01:15:02 PM1) An IceTV "plugin" that will work on any "Enigma2" PVR which is the underlying hardware for the Beyonwiz PVRs

Enigma2 is the underlying firmware, not hardware.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

MD

Hi prl, yes
I should have been more accurate in my comment saying that it will work on any hardware running Enigma2 firmware as do the T, U and V series Beyonwiz PVRs.

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on June 06, 2022, 04:34:13 PMThe bring-you-own (device) sounds interesting - may be time to get my Raspberry Pi out of mothballs.
It will be interesting to me to see what, if any, price IceTV puts on such an app, given that it will already benefit from subscriptions to the IceTV interactive service that it is intended to support.  Also, whether it would only come bundled with the tuners and remote.

I, no doubt like many others, am already in possession of the PC tuners necessary, and have no need for a remote.

Both Emby and Kodi support Enigma2 and NextPVR plugins/addons which enable live TV sufficient for my needs, controlled by a remote that runs the platforms. The only thing missing from these setups is the IceTV Interactive service.

No doubt a business decision for IceTV and for potential subscribers, but as IanL-S says an interesting proposition nonetheless.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

MD

It's a decision made out of necessity as Humax has left the PVR business and Beyonwiz are receding so we decided, maybe a few years too late, to try to become as hardware agnostic as possible. Either via BYOB or possibly easily available and cost competitive "IceTV" miniPCs. Also, to say the expensive Skippa debacle has made me very wary of any specific PVR manufacturer would be an understatement!

vader1111

Quote from: MD on June 06, 2022, 07:26:01 PMIt's a decision made out of necessity as Humax has left the PVR business and Beyonwiz are receding so we decided, maybe a few years too late, to try to become as hardware agnostic as possible. Either via BYOB or possibly easily available and cost competitive "IceTV" miniPCs. Also, to say the expensive Skippa debacle has made me very wary of any specific PVR manufacturer would be an understatement!
Count me in, as someone who would be very interested in buying an "IceTV" miniPC.  One of my 2x Beyonwiz T2s died recently, so I will definitely be in the market for a replacement IceTV box if/when you make them available.

Barista181

Count me in too ICE. I'm a long time ICE customer and really appreciate the ICE capability so would like to help keep it all going. I'm willing to help with early testing too.

Every few years on average I replace a PVR and I now see my last remaining TRF 2400 is playing up. My T2 and V2 are still going strong and would happily purchase another V2 but not seeing that option available to me the moment so very keen on alternatives that will keep me going with ICE.
Beyonwiz V2
Beyonwiz T2
Topfield TRF-2400

MD

Hi Barista181,  Thanks for your support which is much appreciated.  Last week I placed our first order for just five Intel miniPCs from a company who may be our volume supplier which will be the platform for those who wish to buy hardware instead of putting their own system together.  They will be the first units for beta testing and once we are certain the software is debugged and the UI/UX is very user friendly (a first for PVRs?!) we will place a larger order. If you wish to help testing we'll contact you in about two months to set it up.

Barista181

Contact when ready. I'm a 'buy hardware' focussed customer that's keen to keep it all going with ICE and will to lay out a certain amount of $ at risk for the potential of a greater good.
Beyonwiz V2
Beyonwiz T2
Topfield TRF-2400

IanL-S

Quote from: Barista181 on June 26, 2022, 08:39:23 AMCount me in too ICE. I'm a long time ICE customer and really appreciate the ICE capability so would like to help keep it all going. I'm willing to help with early testing too.

Every few years on average I replace a PVR and I now see my last remaining TRF 2400 is playing up. My T2 and V2 are still going strong and would happily purchase another V2 but not seeing that option available to me the moment so very keen on alternatives that will keep me going with ICE.

Already being a beta tester, I am also happy to help with beta testing. I have a number of old PCs which I can use, or even via virtual machine on one of my more recent PCs. Even have a few USB tuners that may be compatible.

Please keep us up to date on progress.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

MD

Hi Ian,  yes I have you on the list with Barista and Vader

bodogbodog

Happy to help out with testing if you're still looking for volunteers
Plenty of technology hanging around here
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare