Netgear WGT634U

Started by Mantorok, July 15, 2005, 12:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mantorok

Anyone here using the Netgear WGT634U to update their IceGuide without the need of a PC?

I'd like to hear what you think of it as I'm considering getting one.

Thanks...

pvogel

There are only three people using it so far, and I am one of them!  If you'd like to be #4, we can offer a 30 day money back guarantee, if you're not happy in any way.

Also, you can flash the software into your own WGT634U if you prefer - we will supply the firmware for free.

Peter Vogel

Mantorok

Thanks Peter,

I may take you up on that offer.

I have a couple of Harvey Norman vouchers that I want to use up so I'll see if I can get it there.  If not then I'll be in touch.

Cheers....

Mantorok

QuoteThere are only three people using it so far, and I am one of them!  If you'd like to be #4, we can offer a 30 day money back guarantee, if you're not happy in any way.
Hi Peter,

I've decided to take you up on this offer.  Do I just order the Router via the Online Store?

pvogel

Yes, order online and it will come in a couple of days with the Ice software installed.  

Note that the firmware also allows file transfers beteen PC and Toppy but not recording downloads, since tehre is a maximum file size of about 2MB.

Please report your experience back to the forum!

mikewilson

Hi Peter

You can make that four.. I flashed my Netgear today and so far it's working very well.

Mike

GrantW

I love the idea but I would also like to use the bridge to connect my Xbox to it. I realise you would not be able to use the toppy and Xbox at the same time but when the toppy is off does any know if you could access the Xbox? I think this device would be similar to the WGE111 from netgear but has the bonus of a USB port. The reason behind this is because the toppy and Xbox are next to each other and i am unable to get an ethernet cable there and would prefer to save a few $$$ and only buy one bridge.

Or is the firmware upgrade primarily for use with Iceguide?

BTW is the 30 day money back trial still available?

pvogel

QuoteI love the idea but I would also like to use the bridge to connect my Xbox to it. I realise you would not be able to use the toppy and Xbox at the same time but when the toppy is off does any know if you could access the Xbox? I think this device would be similar to the WGE111 from netgear but has the bonus of a USB port. The reason behind this is because the toppy and Xbox are next to each other and i am unable to get an ethernet cable there and would prefer to save a few $$$ and only buy one bridge.

Or is the firmware upgrade primarily for use with Iceguide?

BTW is the 30 day money back trial still available?

Unfortunately we were unable to get the required infromation to allow the router part to still work, so once flashed it's toppy-only.  I'll ask our engineers if they have any other ideas.

We're happy to offer the 30 day trial but as we've completed testing now we'd have to charge you a handling fee of $30 if you returned it.

GrantW

Thanks for the info. I noticed that one of the ethernet ports is still active as you can use it as an uplink to a router. It would be very interesting to know if you could use that port to connect it to your Xbox; even if you could only use one at a time.  If you were able to some how get the router part to work this would be so usable as most people now have xbox, playstation, toppy, all near each other.

Thanks for looking into it.

pvogel

I've discussed with our engineers whether the other ethernet ports could be used to connect other devices, and the answer is that it can't be done with the present firmware and the cost of adding this fucntionality is too great to make it viable at this time.

Best regards,

Peter

GrantW

Thanks for following up on it.

RubberChicken

QuoteI've discussed with our engineers whether the other ethernet ports could be used to connect other devices, and the answer is that it can't be done with the present firmware and the cost of adding this fucntionality is too great to make it viable at this time.

Best regards,

Peter

Thats's a real shame, as I wanted to do the same thing. I don't really want to buy a bridge for each. That seems a great waste of money - and yet another powerpoint.

Is it true that this bridge (once flashed) does not support WPA? I currently run a hidden WPA network. Would I have to downgrade my network to connect this bridge?

toddsta

I am also keen to use a network bridge with my toppy. I have a Netgear ADSL wireless router (DG834G) which I don't use. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can be used as a gateway bridge, and if so, whether it can have the firmware upgraded to accept IceGuide. I know this is a long shot, but could save me a couple of hundred dollars if possible.

Cheers

::)

mexiwi

Another question about the WGT634U, as I would like to add it to my wireles network at home with my Toppy, does it support WPA wireless encryption over 802.11g?

xerodude

Hey There...

I understand that once you flash the Netgear, you cannot put the original firmware on. But what happens when you update your ice/netgear firmware? Will I be able to load that.??

I am also not clear on one point. Am I able to load small files to the Toppy? As in new taps etc.

Wayne.