Odd recordings on Beyonwiz T4

Started by prl, October 02, 2020, 05:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Quote from: IanL-S on October 07, 2020, 09:36:33 AM
The first thing I checked was if the USB dongle was being detected, in Openwebif the USB tuner was recognised. One is only DVB-T, the other two are DVB-T/T2; only one support DVB-C if I recall correctly.

The "Recording failed: Can't allocate program source (e.g. tuner)" error happens at tuner allocation in the recording prepare time (starting 20sec before the start of the recording). The tuner may not have been accessible then, but was accessible again when you checked.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

BTW, I recently changed my padding from 5/25min to 5/24 min - this reduces tuner allocation contention between recordings from different broadcasters where the scheduled start time of the second is 30 min after the start time of the first.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

IanL-S

I suspect part of the problem may be long pre- and post padding, but why it should start happening now is unclear.

Found the email for latest instance, and the error was timed 20 seconds before the recording started.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

Quote from: IanL-S on October 07, 2020, 01:50:29 PM
Found the email for latest instance, and the error was timed 20 seconds before the recording started.

That's in line with the error being produced at recording setup time, which starts 20 seconds before the recording start time.

The ability to make the recording is tested when the recording timer is created by IceTV, and each time it is is modified (when the program start or end times change, for example). Not having enough tuners to add or change the recording generates a different error message back to IceTV, "Timer conflict" errors.

So it definitely seems that between when the timer was created, modified, or near-in-time recordings were created or modified), the number of available tuners has changed, most likely by the failure to detect the USB timer.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

grumpy_geoff

Quote from: IanL-S on October 07, 2020, 01:50:29 PM
..., but why it should start happening now is unclear.

The USB tuner isn't hot-swappable, so if you bumped the connection then it'd not be available for use even if you re-inserted it correctly.  You must then reboot.

IanL-S

@grumpy_geoff, so you have to reboot rather than restart the GUI?

As far as I am aware all three have been rebooted in the last two or three days. Will give them another go just to be sure.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

grumpy_geoff

Quote from: IanL-S on October 07, 2020, 05:43:35 PM
@grumpy_geoff, so you have to reboot rather than restart the GUI?

If the USB tuner is in a non-terrestrial mode (one of DVB-C, DVB-C2, or DVB-S2) then a GUI restart will usually get the mode re-assigned (assuming the tuner is detected).
A reboot is needed to reload the drivers et. al. if the tuner is removed and then replaced.  I think it's something like the USB drivers are quick to detect the removal and thus the DVB drivers unload, but on re-insert the DVB drivers don't reload (thus a boot is required).  Apparently the USB tuner stuff is quite an entangled "maze".

IanL-S

Would I be correct to assume that if the USB Tuners show the correct settings (DVB-T or DVB-T2) in Openwebif that the turner is both recognised and working?

Ian
Synology NAS

grumpy_geoff

Quote from: IanL-S on October 08, 2020, 10:18:08 AM
Would I be correct to assume that if the USB Tuners show the correct settings (DVB-T or DVB-T2) in Openwebif that the turner is both recognised and working?

Not necessarily, that's just enigma2 detailing what was there at the last GUI start, but it may not be operational.
The below entries are from the "messages" log file when I unplugged the USB tuner, you can see from the second line that the tuner instance was nuked (the "r820t" reference is because I am using a Rafael Micro R820T / Realtek RTL2832U tuner/demodulator USB dongle).
Oct  8 07:58:16 beyonwizt2 user.info kernel: usb 1-1.7: USB disconnect, device number 3
Oct  8 07:58:16 beyonwizt2 user.info kernel: r820t 0-001a: destroying instance

I plugged the tuner back in after roughly one second of being unplugged and the tuner still shows up in OWIF, as possibly the USB interface is available but the tuner interface has gone as per above.  It can still be set as the preferred tuner, but a zap to a service fails to tune (as expected).   
After restarting the GUI, the USB tuner isn't available in Setup>>Tuners>>Tuner configuration.  After a reboot, it's back to being available.

IanL-S

Thanks for the clarification, it much appreciated. So if in doubt, do a GUI restart to confirm the configuration.

Ian
Synology NAS

grumpy_geoff

Quote from: IanL-S on October 08, 2020, 03:29:36 PM
So if in doubt, do a GUI restart to confirm the configuration.

Actually, the only way to be sure is to force the use of the USB tuner to see if it's available.  Either (i) go into Setup>>Tuners>>Tuner allocation and set Tuner C as the preferred tuner, or (ii) set off two recordings on different broadcast networks.  Then zap to a broadcaster not currently being used as this will force the USB tuner to be used, then check live TV on that new broadcaster; if it works then fine, if not then reboot.  Then reset Tuner allocation back to "auto" if you used method (i).
The reason for the above is sometimes a GUI restart is enough, and at other times it's not (likely to do with how messed up the drivers get).