Main Menu

Motor sport

Started by aeb001, September 15, 2020, 12:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeb001

hi team. The majority of your motor sport listings are typed "motor sport......." but some are typed "motorsport....." so when searching for stuff one has to type both just to be sure. Is it possible for you to go back into your database & edit anything with Motorsport please so everything matches?
Adrian
Windows 7 Media Centre PC
Early days user of IceTV since it's inception in 2005

prl

Preferably "Motorsport", because that's the one that's known in the Beyonwiz IceTV plugin.

The Beyonwiz plugin's handling of genres depends on a stable set of genre names, because they have to be mapped into 8-bit values to be stored in the Beyonwiz EPG, and those values are quite different from the standard genres in the broadcast EPG. The IceTV genre name set is much richer than the broadcast name set.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Jennifer

The database has been adjusted. All programme titles are now 'Motorsport'.

Regards
Jennifer
Guide Team
IceTV Guide Team

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

aeb001

thanks @jennifer. I havent had a pc or tv for a few days.
Adrian

aeb001

Hi @Jennifer

I just did a search and didnt realise that some shows also had a prefix of "Motor Racing:". There's only 3. would you be kind enough to get them changed too?
Motor Racing: Formula E
Motor Racing: Indy Racing League
Motor Racing: Rally Tasmania

Then literally everything past & present that icetv lists will be prefixed "Motorsport:" and easily searchable.

Thanking you in advance

AB
Adrian

prl

There is also a Motor Sport genre. Does that miss things that you want to include in the search?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

MD

II believe that the correct grammar to describe the sport should be used in the genre, ie "Motor Sport".  Equally if any of the networks or brands conflate the two words to make a series looks more attractive (!) then we should always use that expression for the series such as "Motorsport:"

aeb001

Quote from: prl on November 05, 2020, 10:22:51 AM
There is also a Motor Sport genre. Does that miss things that you want to include in the search?

Do you mean on IceTV? If so, on the Android App or website how do I find it?
Adrian

aeb001

Quote from: MD on November 05, 2020, 02:06:17 PM
II believe that the correct grammar to describe the sport should be used in the genre, ie "Motor Sport".  Equally if any of the networks or brands conflate the two words to make a series looks more attractive (!) then we should always use that expression for the series such as "Motorsport:"

@MD
Genre motor sport or motor racing but means anythign with a motor be it car, bike or boat, etc.
IceTV prefix as per my initial post was both motor sport & motorsport and as i spotted yesterday Motor racing too. I dint find any motorracing thankfully.

As per my question to prl just then, is there a way to actually search genre on the app or website, negating the need for the prefix at all?

AB
Adrian

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Realistically if you want to be exact and do a full search then the advanced search on the website allows you to select from a genre list for a specific list of everything with the genre of 'Motor Sport'.

You can also just do a search for "Motorsport:" to search by the tag in the title.

It really depends what you are after I guess... what exactly are you trying to do?

You cannot perform a genre search on either of the phone apps, the other limitation is that you can only search within the guide data for the coming week, not for programmes that are not currently airing (if you wanted to set something to record for the future).
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

aeb001

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on November 05, 2020, 04:19:58 PM
You can also just do a search for "Motorsport:" to search by the tag in the title.

I have always done this to find motor sport stuff (Motor sport: & motorsport: until they were all unified to motorsport:) and until today did not know about genre searches I've just found it on the website & the motor sport genre is actually motoring / motor sport which is cool by me because you'd know that the tweo things i love to watch is anything motor sport / motoring & anything fishing.

The one thing with doing a search by "motorsport:" or fishing is that it shows previously aired stuff in the "Matching shows not scheduled in the next 7 days" do that a person can also add any of those series to their recording choices too which is something I have done for motorsport. obviousl as many shows got taken from by foxtel back in 2010/11 like nascar sprint cup & nationwide series etc those wont ever air again & i removed those from my favourites but you get the idea. A genre search wont show those up unless they are in the next 7 days. the searchy gave me the ability to set future show recording for motor sport stuff like tarmac rallies (eg targa tasmania ) that are on yearly. hope that all makes sense & give you some ideas for making y9our genre / search stuff more flexible / deeper.

PS has @md ever considered a referral business model since the company relaunched? a solid product deserves to be promoted by WoM.
Adrian

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: aeb001 on November 05, 2020, 05:23:36 PM
The one thing with doing a search by "motorsport:" or fishing is that it shows previously aired stuff in the "Matching shows not scheduled in the next 7 days" do that a person can also add any of those series to their recording choices too which is something I have done for motorsport. obviousl as many shows got taken from by foxtel back in 2010/11 like nascar sprint cup & nationwide series etc those wont ever air again & i removed those from my favourites but you get the idea. A genre search wont show those up unless they are in the next 7 days. the searchy gave me the ability to set future show recording for motor sport stuff like tarmac rallies (eg targa tasmania ) that are on yearly. hope that all makes sense & give you some ideas for making y9our genre / search stuff more flexible / deeper.

Doing a genre search on the website does give you all of the showings in the next 7 days along with anything not scheduled (at the bottom of the currently in the next 7 days list) in the same way that all searches do. You can also setup a keyword favourite from here as well, so it will highlight these shows in your my week when they do air (which does also show up in the apps) and then choose to set a series recording for it or not.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

prl

Here's something odd. In the ACT guide, if I select Motor Sport in the Genre drop-down list for with Day: Today, I get "Sorry, there were no matches on your device."

If I set the Genre drop-down to All, and do a search on genre:"motor sport" I get matches over the whole the current EPG and also all the "not scheduled in the next 7 days" that Daniel mentioned, even though Day remains set at Today (and it confirms that there are no Motor Sport genre programs showing today in  the ACT.

The takeaway really is that doing a genre"motor sport" search will give a lot more returns that using the Genre dropdown.

The search on genre also lists shows that have none of "motor sport", "motorsport" or motor racing" in their titles (including a lot that don't have "motor" in their title at all).

Some of the titles that match the genre sport don't sound much like motor sport to me (e.g. "Car Advice", "Car Torque"), but some of the entries that don't have "motor" in their titles, like "Australian Production Car 6 Hour" and "Demolition Derby" clearly are motor sport.

Daniel: the genres on "Australian Production Car 6 Hour" look a bit flaky & it seems that one of its genres is an empty string, since the genres list displays as ", Motor Sport".
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

aeb001

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on November 05, 2020, 05:28:47 PM
Doing a genre search on the website does give you all of the showings in the next 7 days along with anything not scheduled (at the bottom of the currently in the next 7 days list) in the same way that all searches do.......
can you tell me on what page i shoudl be doing this. thats what i asked when prl first mentioned you can search genre. I didnt even know it existed. Ive just done it on my week (doesnt work) & tv guide (only shows now with no results usually or rest of day shows results) and dont get the next 7 days or anything not scheduled.
Adrian