MacGyver vs MacGyver (2016)

Started by Peter_H, July 28, 2020, 11:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_H

Sydney 10Bold is currently running episodes of both the original MacGyver and the 2016 reboot, but your website and XMLTV guides show them as all the same show.
Any chance that the 2016 reboot could be renamed to "MacGyver (2016)"?
Thanks
Using Plex on QNAP NAS & NVidia Shield. In Sydney

aeb001

im not having that issue on the GC guide and the team will tell you i pick up the smallest of glitches
Adrian
Windows 7 Media Centre PC
Early days user of IceTV since it's inception in 2005

Peter_H

What system are you using, and how does it appear to you then? 
Looking at the web guide, there is no apparent difference I can see in the titling, in either the Sydney or GC guides.
If I download a copy of the XMLTV file, I can see that there IS a difference in the <episode-num system="thetvdb.com">
tag for the 2 shows, but unfortunately Plex does not use this, and I have both shows being recorded by the same recording entry in Plex

raymondjpg

The difference is not apparent in TV Scheduler either. I did have a query about episode metadata for the Beyonwiz T/U/V series recently, and was advised that this is available from the IceTV web pages. For example, the episode 'Gx-1' is listed as "Series, 1987, United States, English, Action, Season 3 Episode 6". The episodes from the 2016 series are listed, for example, as "Series, United States, English, Action, Drama, Adventure, Season 4 Episode 4".

It would be nice to have the series and episode numbers visible in both the Beyonwiz and TV Scheduler application, but I do understand that there are limitations with what can be displayed with the fields available. Barring that, I agree that it would be a good idea to distinguish between the two MacGyver series by labelling the 2016 series as MacGyver (2016). I don't think this should present any difficulties with field mapping.

Indeed, it might be worthwhile IceTV following the practice of using the titles from the TheTVDB for all TV shows. TheTVDB is not the only source of TV show metadata around, but it looks to be one of the most comprehensive. For MacGyver, they do distinguish the two series as MacGyver and MacGyver (2016).
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl

Quote from: raymondjpg on July 31, 2020, 09:05:02 AM
It would be nice to have the series and episode numbers visible in both the Beyonwiz and TV Scheduler application, but I do understand that there are limitations with what can be displayed with the fields available.

The main issue on the Beyonwiz is where to store it, rather than limits on what can be displayed. The Beyonwiz firmware uses the DVB-T EPG format to store the EPG, and that doesn't have specific fields allocated to much of the IceTV metadata, and in particular, it doesn't have any specific fields for season and episode.

I think that I've worked out a way that general IceTV metadata can be stored in the DVB-T EPG format, but I haven't tried to implement it yet. If I can do it, it would open up the possibility of storing any (or all) IceTV metadata in the Beyonwiz EPG.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Peter_H

Quote from: raymondjpg on July 31, 2020, 09:05:02 AM
It would be nice to have the series and episode numbers visible in both the Beyonwiz and TV Scheduler application,
Indeed, it might be worthwhile IceTV following the practice of using the titles from the TheTVDB for all TV shows. ... For MacGyver, they do distinguish the two series as MacGyver and MacGyver (2016).
I can't comment on TV Scheduler or Beyonwiz as I've never used those.

I agree that it would be good wherever possible for IceTV to use the names from The TVDB, especially where there are potentially 2 shows with the same name.  I've had a few instances of this where shows come from different years or different countries, with the same title, and also some where there are punctuation characters in the name.  For example, Plex can't recognise "Trial and Error" and "Trial & Error" as the same thing.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Just as an update on this one, we have changed the new series of 'McGyver' to 'McGyver (2016)' and we will look at doing this for new series that come up as well.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on July 31, 2020, 10:37:18 AM
Just as an update on this one, we have changed the new series of 'McGyver' to 'McGyver (2016)' and we will look at doing this for new series that come up as well.

Thanks Daniel. That looks like it works across the Beyonwiz T/U/V series and TV Scheduler (which deploys the XMLTV stream).
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Peter_H

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on July 31, 2020, 10:37:18 AM
Thanks Daniel.  Looks good on Plex too.  Much appreciated.