Discovery Services Key

Started by impact, April 25, 2007, 12:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impact

Just thought I'd mention in case your not aware of it....

Pimp / Keep Key / Sim U Ant / Disable MCE Update is no longer needed to fix the registry key...

Mike Heyton from Microsoft has advised that the hotfix is now built and available that addresses the issue. Currently any customer can call into Microsoft support and request KB935685 even though there isnt a published KB at the moment. Microsoft support will send the customer the hotfix. But the customer has to know which KB to ask for.

Meanwhile the KB is being written and published that will contain a link to the hotfix. Once published, a customer will be able to look up the KB on the web, follow the link and download the hotfix.

So - hot off the press, if you ask for it - you get it - or wait a period of time to find it on the web. This disables the microsoft discovery service key change, so you can turn it off, so that it no longer is always looking at Microsoft for its MCE update.

Unfortunately it does not fix the other EPG problems we experience with the guide screw up.

Nomad

Thanks for the info, do you have this hotfix yet ? if so can you post it somewhere so we all don't have to go thru the pain of calling Microsoft?

Thanks Damon

impact

No - not as yet.... Spent the better day with the MS call center as my Xbox 360 blew up - that was hard enough....

Anyone else get it... let us all know where to find it easily...

Freefall

I got the hotfix for Vista 32bit and have it on my Internode homepage.

http://www.users.on.net/~freefall/Windows6.0-KB935685-v2-x86.msu

I assume there is a 64bit version available but as I'm running 32bit that's all MS sent me.  I've installed the hotfix and it looks like it works.  I disabled the fix registry key option in PimpMyMCE then ran the mcupdate scheduled task and I can still update my EPG.

pgriffith

Thanks for the fix Freefall, mucho appreciated.

Cheers

Freefall

I'm still getting the "Invalid Country or Region" error when the EPG goes to update and I have to use Pimp to fix the registry key :(  Do we need a new version of the IceTV grabber for Vista to go along with the hotfix?

*Edit* I failed to create the disableUpdateDiscSvc registry key, which I've done now.  I'll see how it goes.  See the thread on xpmediacentre.com.au for what you need to set after installing the update: http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/vista-epg-discussion-support/19002-disableupdatediscsvc-key.html

Shane

Here is the registry key you need to load - just download to your Vista Machine, run the update from the link above and then run this reg key - it will add the disableUpdateDiscSvc to the registry (only for 32bit Vista).

Regards,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

jtrembath

Applied the hotfix and Vista lasted three days. Lost Seven last night.

Shane

This hotfix has nothing to do with the losing channels issue.

This hotfix is to resolve the issue of Media Center losing the guide download link from the registry that points Media Center to the IceTV servers. By default, Media Center will just report no guide available in your region, but IceTV's installer turns that off and points Media Center to their server.

There was a bug that caused a background service in Vista Media enter to reset this link back to the default, which had the effect of stopping your guide from updating.

Microsoft are working on a fix for losing channels, but it will take more time.

Regards,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE