Great Indian Railway Journeys Sat 5 May - India or Europe?

Started by IanL-S, April 29, 2020, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

The is an inconsistency on the guide data for Great Indian Railway Journeys, SBS HD Saturday 2 May 2020. The program description is:
Kiev To Odessa
With his Bradshaw's 1913 Continental Railway Guide in hand, Michael Portillo ventures east .....

SBS seems to get confused as to which "@@@ Railway Journeys" is being shown - the content is usually more accurate than the Guide entry.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on April 29, 2020, 01:24:16 PMSBS seems to get confused as to which "@@@ Railway Journeys" is being shown - the content is usually more accurate than the Guide entry.

Not just Railway Journeys. They get titles wrong and quite frequently even programs wrong. If it were a purely commercial operation it might be put down to inadequate resources to get things reasonably right. As it stands, as a publicly funded broadcaster, it is for me an inexcusable scandal that they persistently and apparently willfully, ignore any attempts to get things right. They are thumbing their nose at the audience that feeds them.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

Quote from: raymondjpg on April 29, 2020, 02:07:24 PM
Not just Railway Journeys. They get titles wrong and quite frequently even programs wrong. ....

There one instance when it is not the fault of SBS, rather the makers of the program: we started out with "Chris Tarrant: Extreme Railways" and it eventually became "Chris Tarrant: Extreme Railway Journeys". SBS seems to exclude the "Chris Tarrant" but if memory serves me correctly, 7Two includes it. Even more confusing is that they have substantially overlapping episodes at their disposal.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on April 29, 2020, 02:25:18 PMThere one instance when it is not the fault of SBS, rather the makers of the program: we started out with "Chris Tarrant: Extreme Railways" and it eventually became "Chris Tarrant: Extreme Railway Journeys". SBS seems to exclude the "Chris Tarrant" but if memory serves me correctly, 7Two includes it. Even more confusing is that they have substantially overlapping episodes at their disposal.

I'm sure that there are exceptions that prove the rule, but I have had so many occasions to point out that SBS english program scheduling is shoddy at best I am past making excuses for them. IceTV has tried to put things right but it's almost as if with pride that SBS persists with incorrect information.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Alison

Hi All,

I have just been looking into this! I see SBS has updated their guide saying this episode is "S6,E5 of Great Continental Railway Journeys" (still the wrong episode number) and it was "Indian Railway" as a repeat in the data given to us. I must have found this error in the past and entered it correctly into our database as "Episode 1 of Continental" as found on IMBD/TVBD. I will change it to this now and put a note on this episode.

I thank you all for your comments, the inconsistent data coming from SBS is an inconvenience to us all!
Regards,
Alison.
IceTV Guide Team

raymondjpg

Quote from: Alison on April 29, 2020, 03:25:33 PMI see SBS has updated their guide saying this episode is "S6,E5 of Great Continental Railway Journeys" (still the wrong episode number)

Yes. As Series 8 had only two episodes according to Wikipedia and the TVDB, S6,E5 would be manifestly wrong. I recorded this episode from SBS 13 October 2019 and retitled it (I think correctly) as Great Continental Railway Journeys S06E01 (Kiev To Odessa).

raymondjpg

Just to add to the confusion IceTV has an episode entitled Extreme Railway Journeys (London To Monte Carlo) scheduled for Monday 4 May at 4.30 pm. I've seen the description for this particular episode (London To Monte Carlo) fairly recently, again possibly under an incorrect title, so took a look at the SBS schedule and discover that they are now listing it, probably correctly, as Great Continental Railway Journeys.

So it looks like SBS had found yet another way to mistitle Great Continental Railway Journeys, presumably in what was provided to IceTV, and like the program scheduled for Saturday 2 May, since corrected by them.

At least the corrections by SBS provide some ray of light in an otherwise scenario of apparently capricious random mistitling of this series.

For the record London To Monte Carlo was the very first episode of the series Great Continental Railway Journeys, so S01E01.

Alison

Hi raymondjpg,

Thanks for pointing that out, it was in the data file as a new under  "Extreme Railway Journeys". But this episode has also aired the under  "Great Continental Railway Journeys" and "Great Indian Railway Journeys"! This has been corrected. I have contacted SBS about these issues and is maybe why we are seeing changes.

They said no to changing "Great Canadian Railway Journeys" to the real title " American" and "Great Irish Railway Journeys" to "British" (but I do see some of the timeslots changed in the guide now!) so I will keep naming it that anyway, along with many other shows across all their channels. Progress is happening!

Regards,
Alison.
IceTV Guide Team

raymondjpg

Quote from: Alison on April 30, 2020, 11:22:44 AMThey said no to changing "Great Canadian Railway Journeys" to the real title " American" and "Great Irish Railway Journeys" to "British" (but I do see some of the timeslots changed in the guide now!) so I will keep naming it that anyway, along with many other shows across all their channels. Progress is happening!

Astonishing! What Charley would think that wasn't an insult to Canadians, Americans, Irish and British alike?

Progress maybe, and it looks like they changed Extreme Railway Journeys without prompting.