Prefer standard definition

Started by csutak40, November 23, 2019, 09:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

Quote from: ChrisW on November 25, 2019, 03:12:30 PM

I realise I could remove the HD channels, but then I wouldn't be able to record the occasional thing I do want in HD.

That is exactly how I feel
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

csutak40

Quote from: MD on November 25, 2019, 02:54:53 PM
Hi cstak40,

The reason we have removed these options is that having technically complex options to suit the few expert edge cases is simply not a good business model. The vast majority want a simple foolproof click and record choice or else they delve in and mess up and we lose far more "keep it simple" customers than the expert edge cases will ever add up to.

Sorry, I really don't understand what puts this in the "technically complex" category.  OTOH, I would love some instructions online for setting keywords - I find that to be more complex.
I would also have been nice to be actually told of the change.
Cheers,
Judy

raymondjpg

Quote from: ChrisW on November 25, 2019, 03:12:30 PMI realise I could remove the HD channels, but then I wouldn't be able to record the occasional thing I do want in HD.

No need to remove the HD channels. Just use the Channel option as advised by Daniel Hall.

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on November 24, 2019, 06:35:47 PMAs going through all the scenarios available (and looking at how often these options were used) you could get the same effects by either disabling the channels you don't want to record on, but also using the "Channel" option and whether you wanted "repeats" or not, and this would simplify things tremendously.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

ChrisW

Quote from: raymondjpg on November 26, 2019, 10:48:06 AM
No need to remove the HD channels. Just use the Channel option as advised by Daniel Hall.

That still means I have to make a change on nearly every recording I set, which was the original complaint.

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on November 25, 2019, 10:02:43 PM
I would love some instructions online for setting keywords - I find that to be more complex.

https://support.icetv.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/227076207-Using-Series-Recording-Favourites-Keyword-Recording-and-Keyword-Favourites - found by searching for "keyword" on the Help>Customer Support page.

Also, if you go to the TV Guide>TV Guide page and click on the Create Keyword Recording or Favourite link, that takes you to a form page that helps construct queries for Keyword Recordings and Favourites.

There are two minor issues with all that.

The first is that the customer support page says that you create the Favourite or Keyword Recording by going to that page, constructing the query and then clicking on the Add Keyword Record button. However, there is no such button, only PREVIEW KEYWORD. But if you click on PREVIEW KEYWORD, it does the search, and then there's an "Automatically favourite or record shows based on the following keyword (search parameters)" link (which could do with a bit of rewording).

The second is that at the bottom of the Create Keyword Recording or Favourite, there are two buttons, PREVIEW KEYWORD and Reset, but the text in the Reset button appears to be white on white.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

raymondjpg

Quote from: ChrisW on November 26, 2019, 11:12:56 AMThat still means I have to make a change on nearly every recording I set, which was the original complaint.

I understand what you are saying but the requirement to select an SD option was there before the change. I'd say that your suggestion to default to last selected option (per user) would likely fall into the category of additional cost to the IceTV business, and having been through a couple of periods where IceTV faced the possibility of extinction, I'd rather have an IceTV without some user-selectable or user-specific options than no IceTV at all.

Others may disagree, but you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

MD

csutak40,

Re keywords - use the "Create keyword recording or favourite" under the TV Guide search bar (in red text).  We'll improve its position and identity when we can but we are simply snowed under right now.  See attached where I've entered a title, series and episode in each section and the search term is shown in the top slot, growing as each is added.

csutak40

Quote from: ChrisW on November 26, 2019, 11:12:56 AM
Quote from: raymondjpg on November 26, 2019, 10:48:06 AM

That still means I have to make a change on nearly every recording I set, which was the original complaint.

I don't suppose there is any point debating this, but, as it happens, I prefer "any channel" simply because there have been times when shows changed networks. The whole idea of IceTV is that if I have a favourite show and it disappears and then reappears (where ever) IceTV will notice for me, if I don't  :D and set a recording for me.
And, to be clear, I wasn't asking for any change ATM  (although, as Chris did, I did ask long ago, if there could be a way to set ones preferences, eliminating the need for fiddling with each setting) in fact I was asking why there was a change, especially without any notice and especially a change to something that I doubt anyone found "technically complex"
Cheers,
Judy

Matt69

so...don't update Android App ???
How does rewriting and updating websites downloading updates (bandwidth) equal cost savings ,   ???

TimC

Its taken since the end of my Xmas hols to get around to having a look at the forum.
I too an unhappy with losing the Prefer SD option.
Further, it always bugged me to have to set it every time I wanted to make a recording.

The simplest way to make the one touch concept work would be to move the setting to the My Account area (Apple TV has something similar).
For those more tech minded we could go there and set it once (perhaps for each PVR set up).
For the one touch devotees, you just leave it set to the default.

It can't be that hard.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

MD

Hi Tim,

So as to get to the best solution, why would you want to set "Prefer SD" every time you set a recording?

ChrisW

QuoteSo as to get to the best solution, why would you want to set "Prefer SD" every time you set a recording?

My 2c worth (seeing as I started this aspect of the topic):

• SD means smaller files on several near-capacity HDDs.
  • I only use HD for shows that are worth it, like nature/space docs, some sci-fi.
  • Playback of SD files seem to be smoother/quicker when it comes to ad jumping on multiple devices.
  • HD files seem more prone to issues (reboots) on my Skippa during recording.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

There are two ways that SD can still be specified, one is by using the option to restrict the recording to a channel. If however you only ever want to record on SD channels (as it looks like you do) then you can also disable all of the HD channels in your account and then all series recordings will only ever record on SD channels, this wasn't as much of an option before it was a true simulcast, but it is now.

The filesize can be comparable between both SD and HD, it really depends on the bitrate of the broadcast.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

prl

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on January 02, 2020, 05:26:31 PM
The filesize can be comparable between both SD and HD, it really depends on the bitrate of the broadcast.

I posted some SD vs HD bit rate examples earlier in the topic.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on January 02, 2020, 05:26:31 PM
There are two ways that SD can still be specified, one is by using the option to restrict the recording to a channel. If however you only ever want to record on SD channels (as it looks like you do) then you can also disable all of the HD channels in your account and then all series recordings will only ever record on SD channels, this wasn't as much of an option before it was a true simulcast, but it is now.

Sorry Daniel, none of those "solutions" are really workable
As I mentioned earlier, sometimes shows change channels, even networks and there are shows that only show on HD  (there was an example the other day, can't remember what it was)
I have posted examples of the difference in file size - it can be quite large.
Anyway, I would have thought that setting recordings to one channel only negates most of the advantages of subscribing to IceTV
I really think that this was a case of fixing something that wasn't broke (nor could it have saved any work/time for you, I don't think) and as I said before, I don't understand why that was " technically complex"
Cheers,
Judy