Seachange ... Wrong season number

Started by BazzaG, August 14, 2019, 01:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjpg

Quote from: grumpy_geoff on August 16, 2019, 06:30:21 PMThat won't work, as IceTV will get the manual timer and adjust it to match the program event it best matches to in their guide and then resend it.

That's a nuisance, if IceTV modifies a manual timer set when there are no other IceTV timers set to fire.

BazzaG could always extend the timer set for the program preceding what he saw as a Seachange repeat in the FTA EPG.

I don't see how setting a manual timer from the FTA EPG then reverting to IceTV would be any different from the situation from setting a manual timer from the IceTV EPG, but then I've never done it and you may well have experience with that process.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

grumpy_geoff

Quote from: raymondjpg on August 16, 2019, 06:48:27 PM
Quote from: grumpy_geoff on August 16, 2019, 06:30:21 PMThat won't work, as IceTV will get the manual timer and adjust it to match the program event it best matches to in their guide and then resend it.

That's a nuisance, if IceTV modifies a manual timer set when there are no other IceTV timers set to fire.

The "manual" timer becomes an IceTV timer.

Quote from: raymondjpg
BazzaG could always extend the timer set for the program preceding what he saw as a Seachange repeat in the FTA EPG.

Nup, same issue - IceTV will readjust that timer.

I don't see how setting a manual timer from the FTA EPG then reverting to IceTV would be any different from the situation from setting a manual timer from the IceTV EPG, but then I've never done it and you may well have experience with that process.

If the timer is created when IceTV is disabled, then it is _not_ sent to IceTV, so it doesn't know about it and therefore can't touch it.
Trust me - I know this stuff.

raymondjpg

Quote from: grumpy_geoff on August 16, 2019, 06:54:34 PMIf the timer is created when IceTV is disabled, then it is _not_ sent to IceTV, so it doesn't know about it and therefore can't touch it.
Trust me - I know this stuff.

That I will. Makes sense to me now.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

BazzaG

Quote from: grumpy_geoff on August 16, 2019, 06:54:34 PM

Nup, same issue - IceTV will readjust that timer.

Hi Grumpy ...

Are you saying that if I were to edit a timer via the U4 OpenWebif by manually updating the END Date/Time of the IceTV set timer then after 15 mins or so IceTV will reset the End/Date time to that of the EPG?

If yes, then I can say that does NOT happen. During the Cricket World Cup a month ago I updated the END Date/Time of the IceTV set recording by adding an extra 1 hour to the recording. I did so, several hours before the recording ended. Had I not done so, I would have missed the end of most matches broadcast by Nine.

The discussion of the interaction between IceTV and manual timers is interesting as it has answered some questions I was going to ask in a more appropriate thread.

MD

My guide team start at about 7am doing late changes for that day and the next full 7th day and the changes within them all, across all capital and regional channels. Sometimes we hold off on late changes if we are unsure. They finish at about 5 -6pm. As long as you have a PVR that logs in every 15 minutes and it can cope with timer changes, as the Beyonwiz V/U/T series can (but some earlier ones had problems and would use a second timer for the update hence holding off as a second change wouldn't find a tuner plus other issues), then final changes will be updated in its guide.  So just set it now and it will auto-correct via IceTV to whatever time it finally airs. Getting impatient is pointless as the staff have to go home and, with a new PVR, just set it and it will change via the PVR login and IceTV for updates according to any change that may occur. Please be sure we are aware of discrepancy you now see, or are thankful that a forum post has alerted us, but the staff can't work 12 hours a day and we will update tomorrow. 

With sport that runs over, and cricket is the prime example, we haven't got a crystal ball so have to go with the length of the show that the channel dictates however the simple solution is to always record the following show as well, or even two shows depending on their length.  Then you can be sure to capture it all.

BazzaG

Quote from: MD on August 16, 2019, 08:17:11 PM
With sport that runs over, and cricket is the prime example, we haven't got a crystal ball so have to go with the length of the show ....

Hi, I wasn't saying that IceTV got anything wrong with the live cricket broadcast, or any live broadcast for that matter. They can run overtime which is no fault of IceTV. I was simply saying that my solution of manually editing the IceTV timer on the U4 worked AOK.

In most cases, the Aussie matches started at 7pm, so I watched most of the match (until about 1-2am) and when I updated the timer for the final session of the match the timer was active. It was for those few matches that didn't start until 10pm that when I changed the end time of the 2nd session (innings) the timer wasn't active.

Anyway, we seemed to have well and truly digressed from the actual issues initially raised in this thread.

grumpy_geoff

Quote from: BazzaG on August 16, 2019, 07:54:27 PM
Hi Grumpy ...

Are you saying that if I were to edit a timer via the U4 OpenWebif by manually updating the END Date/Time of the IceTV set timer then after 15 mins or so IceTV will reset the End/Date time to that of the EPG?

If yes, then I can say that does NOT happen. During the Cricket World Cup a month ago I updated the END Date/Time of the IceTV set recording by adding an extra 1 hour to the recording. I did so, several hours before the recording ended. Had I not done so, I would have missed the end of most matches broadcast by Nine.

The discussion of the interaction between IceTV and manual timers is interesting as it has answered some questions I was going to ask in a more appropriate thread.

Not always, if IceTV issue a change for the EPG event (e.g. start time change) then the timer will be resent with the new times and you'll lose your time changes.
Same if you change the recording location or after event action - sometimes for a timer change, IceTV will issue a timer delete and a timer add for that program event rather than just the (simple) change for the same timer (i.e. new ice_timer_id c.f. same ice_timer_id).  The plugin on the Wiz will delete the old timer and add the new one as instructed, losing your location/after action; compared to just updating the start/duration times.

Try setting a manual timer for say, a few hours duration, and see how long it stays intact before IceTV gazump it and change it back to the duration of the "closest matching" EPG event.

raymondjpg

Quote from: grumpy_geoff on August 16, 2019, 11:31:04 PMNot always, if IceTV issue a change for the EPG event (e.g. start time change) then the timer will be resent with the new times and you'll lose your time changes...

...Try setting a manual timer for say, a few hours duration, and see how long it stays intact before IceTV gazump it and change it back to the duration of the "closest matching" EPG event.

I'd try it myself, but you seem to have experience with this, so maybe know the answer.

If a manual timer (not an autotimer) were set from the OTA EPG, then the PVR switched back to IceTV, would *modifying* the manual timer then trigger a report back to the IceTV server that would then be subject to IceTV modification?

According to my understanding manual timers once set will not be modified automatically with changes in the EPG, and on occasion need to be tweaked manually.

Tiphanee

Hi All -

9 has been updated for both Saturday and Sunday. Depending on the region and scheduled live sport events, capital cities may have differing programming of repeat screenings of Seachange and The Block.

Have a lovely day,

Tiphanee
Regards,

Tiphanee
IceTV Guide Team Leader

grumpy_geoff

Quote from: raymondjpg on August 17, 2019, 10:27:52 AM
I'd try it myself, but you seem to have experience with this, so maybe know the answer.

If a manual timer (not an autotimer) were set from the OTA EPG, then the PVR switched back to IceTV, would *modifying* the manual timer then trigger a report back to the IceTV server that would then be subject to IceTV modification?

According to my understanding manual timers once set will not be modified automatically with changes in the EPG, and on occasion need to be tweaked manually.

A manual timer that IceTV knows nothing about will be sent to IceTV (and hence become an IceTV managed timer) if it's tickled and the PVR is in an IceTV enabled state.
It'll stay in its edited state unless IceTV decides it wants to change the timer (be that minutes, hours, or days later).

raymondjpg

Quote from: grumpy_geoff on August 19, 2019, 02:08:19 PMA manual timer that IceTV knows nothing about will be sent to IceTV (and hence become an IceTV managed timer) if it's tickled and the PVR is in an IceTV enabled state.
It'll stay in its edited state unless IceTV decides it wants to change the timer (be that minutes, hours, or days later).

Thanks for that advice.