Guide screwups (SBS and 7) need to be addressed

Started by timble, March 30, 2007, 09:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

This issue has nothing to do with the guide provider, it just appears to be because it is the most user viewable area that is effected. Vista by itself is losing the channel frequencies for specific stations at random timeframes. I have a strong suspicion that even if we had a legitimate Microsoft provided guide this issue would still be occurring (unless they'd caught it in beta testing - but I'm not sure they would have).

To prove this to you all:
Next time it happens and before fixing it, go into Settings/TV/Guide/Edit Channels, and if "Seven" (or the channel effected) is still listed but without a tick, and there is a "7" in small type next to it and no (at xxxMHz) frequency next to it, then Vista has lost the tuning frequency, not the guide data.

e.g. It will look something like this

[tick] 9 "Nine" (at xxxMHz)
[     ] 7 "Seven"

Seven would normally look like:
[tick] 7 "Seven" (at xxxMHz)

No tuning frequency, and therefore according to Media Center no channel, so therefore it doesn't display a guide for it. It's also why you can't just hit the channel number and tune to it.

These are identical symptoms to what happened with MCE2005 when we first got Rollup 2, and why just a few days later MS fixed it with a "Rollup for Rollup 2". Problem is, this time the issue isn't happening to everyone as consistently as then, so finding the root cause is taking MS time.

The Microsoft Media Center team are WELL AWARE of this issue, have test binaries in the field locally, and will hopefully have a fix for this soon.

Whilst I understand people are frustrated (I am!), pointing fingers at Ice for this problem isn't helping. Also be aware, this issue effects other guides as well, so moving away from Ice won't resolve this any faster.

Regards,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

philzgr8

Personally I'm not interested in blaming Ice for this issue but the silence has been deafening on compensation for those who waited for Ice to say they had the EPG ready for Vista before upgrading only to find there is still a major issue. I am one who waited and I am just suggesting that Ice should consider extending the subscriptions of those who are using Vista as a measure of good will. I don't personally think it's too much to ask.
Cheers,

Phil

freddyfinn

QuoteFor what it's worth rather than rescanning try scrolling around for a while in the mini guide. It has been reported that this can have the effect of repairing the guide.

Not for me unfortunately. :(  But thanks for the tip Phil. :)  I hope a fix will be released soon. 

philzgr8

Quote from: freddyfinn on May 08, 2007, 11:42:18 AM

QuoteFor what it's worth rather than rescanning try scrolling around for a while in the mini guide. It has been reported that this can have the effect of repairing the guide.

Not for me unfortunately. :(  But thanks for the tip Phil. :)  I hope a fix will be released soon. 
For what it's worth it doesn't work for me either!  :(

philzgr8

BUMP
Quote from: philzgr8 on April 27, 2007, 12:00:00 PM
It might be nice to get a reply from Ice on this!
Quote from: philzgr8 on April 23, 2007, 09:11:45 AM
Ok I would like to say this to the people here at IceTV. I am now into my third subscription period with IceTV and I had planned to move from 3 month to annual subscriptions on my next renewal but I am now rethinking. Yes I know it has been said that the issue with the guide screwing up is not the fault of IceTV and I'm not disagreeing with that. What I do want responded to is this: As a long time user of XPMCE and with the benefit of experience I deferred my move to Vista knowing that there could be problems. One of my main criteria was that I must have a working and reliable EPG otherwise the move was definitely not worthwhile for me. OK so I waited until Ice announced that they had a working solution for Vista and not just a beta. With most of my other concerns now addressed I decided about a week and a half ago to move to Vista in the belief that all of the problems had been resolved. Now having relied on Ice's statements about Vista compatibility I find that I do not have a relieable EPG and as far as I'm concerned that's not good enough. In my opinion IceTV should extend the subscriptions of all those subscribers who relied on their announcement in moving to Vista. The extension should be as long as it takes to ensure that the guide works reliably as would reasonably have been expected from Ice's statements.

Your response is eagerly awaited!

Matt at IceTV

Quote...Now having relied on Ice's statements about Vista compatibility I find that I do not have a relieable EPG and as far as I'm concerned that's not good enough

IceTV's statements are correct. The current version for Vista does work, there is nothing wrong with the guide or IceTV's service for Vista... the problem lies with Vista and Vista doing channel re-scans and then losing tuning information as a result. Unfortunately the problem seems to be affecting users at random and a lucky few are not affected at all.

This current bug with Vista is similar to that which occured with MCE Update Roll-up2 , but as far as we know only seems to be affecting Australia (Ch7 & SBS), so in Microsoft's minds this is not a high priority, especially with all of the other worldwide problems still to be resolved with Vista.

Quote...In my opinion IceTV should extend the subscriptions of all those subscribers who relied on their announcement in moving to Vista

As the bug has nothing to do with IceTV, this is not a reasonable request. However having said this, we make it a point to keep those loyal subscribers happy and we will compensate those affected by this known Microsoft issue to a certain extent that we deem reasonable given the circumstances.

On behalf of IceTV, I thank all those Vista users for waiting patiently and I hope that Microsoft can resolve this matter as soon as possible in the interests of everyone affected by the problem.

Cheers,

MattK
IceTV
General Manager
IceTV Pty
1300 654 803

philzgr8

Quote from: mattk on May 09, 2007, 10:49:39 AM
IceTV's statements are correct. The current version for Vista does work, there is nothing wrong with the guide or IceTV's service for Vista... the problem lies with Vista and Vista doing channel re-scans and then losing tuning information as a result. Unfortunately the problem seems to be affecting users at random and a lucky few are not affected at all.

Given that the issue was acknowledged by IceTV and a workaround anounced, I think this comment ignores the facts.

Quote from: mattk on May 09, 2007, 10:49:39 AMAs the bug has nothing to do with IceTV, this is not a reasonable request. However having said this, we make it a point to keep those loyal subscribers happy and we will compensate those affected by this known Microsoft issue to a certain extent that we deem reasonable given the circumstances.
Nobody has to my knowledge suggested that this is IceTV's fault only that statements made by IceTV were relied on by some who subsequently upgraded to Vista as a result. I don't believe that this is about incriminating anyone just about fair service in exchange for payment and any offer of compensation is appreciated.

jgrffin

QuoteGiven that the issue was acknowledged by IceTV and a workaround anounced, I think this comment ignores the facts.
Out of curiosity, can you point me to these?

philzgr8

Quote from: jgrffin on May 14, 2007, 04:11:18 PM
QuoteGiven that the issue was acknowledged by IceTV and a workaround anounced, I think this comment ignores the facts.
Out of curiosity, can you point me to these?
No I can't. From memory IceTV announced Vista support by way of emails to existing subscribers and announcements on their main website. Quite rightly the announcements have been removed and I don't have the time nor inclination to go trawling through all my emails to find them. Interesting that only in the last couple of days they posted this in their news/blog section on the website:
Quote from: IceTV
New Bug in Vista
May 14th, 2007

We have had reports of a new bug in Windows Vista that has an affect on channels and guide data dissapearing for some Vista users.

There is currently a bug in Windows Vista Media Center that can drop certain channels from the system. Microsoft are aware and have acknowledged the issue. Primarily this appears to affect both SBS and 7. The only solution available at the moment is to re-scan the channels and re-setup the guide within Media Center until Microsoft releases a patch to fix the issue.

P.S.... Just a quick update! The home page of the IceTV website states the IceTV is compatible with Windows Vista. While this is not misleading by deception it might be considered to be misleading by omission! Not a legal issue, just an ethical one.

lukeronalds

It is possible for someone to email me this hotfix?  Microsoft tech support is not available after hours.

kjfarrell

Quote from: lukeronalds on June 16, 2007, 07:58:33 PM
It is possible for someone to email me this hotfix?  Microsoft tech support is not available after hours.

Do a google search for KB938927 and you will find another forum that has it for download  ;)