Guide screwups (SBS and 7) need to be addressed

Started by timble, March 30, 2007, 09:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philzgr8

Good work impact. Thanks for the update.
Cheers,

Phil

Nomad

A bit more info for you to pass on Impact.

I use Websceduler for most recording on an XP machine, for the last 2 weeks I have set up to record 24 Ch 7 Wednesday nights both on SD and HD channel, just after 24 has finished on Ch7 (23:34:19 to be precise) both weeks the HD capture has failed for no apparent reason.  SD sails along fine and stops at correct time.  According to the capture engine there is no data but signal strength is OK.

Now for the link to Vista, I set up a record of 24 HD only on MCE, Guide was fine when I put the machine in standby. It did as it was told woke up recorded for 90 minutes and shutdown.  When I started the MCE this morning the Guide was messed up on Ch7.  Looking at the recorded show there is a small stutter at 21:34 which I reckon is Ch7 doing something and bang there goes the guide.

Not much to go on but I am pretty sure you have watching or recording the channel for the Guide to mess up.  For example I hardly ever watch SBS live and have only seen one corruption and that was after a live session.

rgds Damon 

jtrembath

Yes I too lose 7 Adelaide on a regular basis, but now SBS 1 & 2 are diappearing with SBS radio on the guide. Also is annoying is when this happens I have to regularly re input future recordings again. Channel Id must change each time I search channels and re-edit. Family is getting fed up! Also have set up several friends hon]me theatre with Vista. Now I get calls from them also. So for now no more Ice with Vista until it's stable (at least 3 months without a hitch). This is not production quality. Don't know how other platforms are going?

philzgr8

It might be nice to get a reply from Ice on this!
Quote from: philzgr8 on April 23, 2007, 09:11:45 AM
Ok I would like to say this to the people here at IceTV. I am now into my third subscription period with IceTV and I had planned to move from 3 month to annual subscriptions on my next renewal but I am now rethinking. Yes I know it has been said that the issue with the guide screwing up is not the fault of IceTV and I'm not disagreeing with that. What I do want responded to is this: As a long time user of XPMCE and with the benefit of experience I deferred my move to Vista knowing that there could be problems. One of my main criteria was that I must have a working and reliable EPG otherwise the move was definitely not worthwhile for me. OK so I waited until Ice announced that they had a working solution for Vista and not just a beta. With most of my other concerns now addressed I decided about a week and a half ago to move to Vista in the belief that all of the problems had been resolved. Now having relied on Ice's statements about Vista compatibility I find that I do not have a relieable EPG and as far as I'm concerned that's not good enough. In my opinion IceTV should extend the subscriptions of all those subscribers who relied on their announcement in moving to Vista. The extension should be as long as it takes to ensure that the guide works reliably as would reasonably have been expected from Ice's statements.

Your response is eagerly awaited!

jgrffin

But it's not ICETV's fault that you chose to upgrade to Vista. They are providing the guide data OK, if your choice of end device doesn't work properly, that's hardly their fault. I mean, why should they provide a free service, when you could just as easily revert to MCE2005 and have a working service?

Nomad

Quote from: jgrffin on April 27, 2007, 06:49:02 PM
But it's not ICETV's fault that you chose to upgrade to Vista. They are providing the guide data OK, if your choice of end device doesn't work properly, that's hardly their fault. I mean, why should they provide a free service, when you could just as easily revert to MCE2005 and have a working service?

Not trying to start a fight here BUT Ice is not a free service ! They say it works with Vista and it doesn't.  So remove the bull from their web site saying "Vista Ready" until its fixed.  Ice have been really quiet on the subject and thats a pain for their loyal users.

Damon

philzgr8

Quote from: jgrffin on April 27, 2007, 06:49:02 PM
Huh!!! Perhaps you didn't read the post. The simple fact is that I relied on Ice's representations that they had resolved the guide issues for Vista. I now pay for a subscription service which doesn't work. I specifically said that I know the fact it doesn't work isn't Ice's fault but the fact that they represent to me that they have the issue resolved certainly is their fault and I'm simply asking as a paying customer what they will do to rectify my loss! Surely that's not too hard to understand!

mbedford

I have the same issue ALL THE TIME,

* Loose channel 7 once a week or every couple of weeks,

* Loose SBS & SBS World News after MINUTES of putting it on the guide and attaching a ICE guide data stream to it. At best it lasts a few hours and its gone.

When I return to the edit channels list all the SBS related channels loose there channel number next to them and have a smaller number in the next column, really strange? I go and tick ALL SBS related channels, go look at the guide and no SBS channels are there. I go select ALL channels and everything is listed apart from SBS related channels.

I do NOT re-arrange my channels as i've heard this annoys the guide.

Come on ICETV / MS get a solution togther its killing us VISTA MCE USERS there are loads of us having this problem!

nigel984

It is a problem with VMC and not IceTV.

If your TV signal is weak VMC will drop channels - the community has been trying to work on a way to lock the channels but havent been successful yet.

I just lost 7 Adelaide and there was huge issues at home because all the favourite shows didnt record. When I heard things like "the old VCR was better than this" it really brings a tear to the eye after all the effort that goes into building a media center.

I decided to try PIMP out fully now - I found the VMC series recordings had to be reset after I "restored default settings". For those that are interested, scan for new services didnt pick up the lost channels but restoring default settings did. Go figure.

Once restoring default settings, series records are in the list but they no longer queue programs to record. They actually cause conflict if you setup a new series record.

So my thought: if VMC wants to screw up again (usually due to signal issues - especially recently due to rainstorms), at least I wont loose all my series now that they are inside PIMP/IceTV.

IceTV is starting to show me why I subscribe to the excellent development/service. Now if only they could syncronise series recordings between PIMP Website and the Vista Media Center.

philzgr8

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: philzgr8 on April 27, 2007, 12:00:00 PM
It might be nice to get a reply from Ice on this!
Quote from: philzgr8 on April 23, 2007, 09:11:45 AM
Ok I would like to say this to the people here at IceTV. I am now into my third subscription period with IceTV and I had planned to move from 3 month to annual subscriptions on my next renewal but I am now rethinking. Yes I know it has been said that the issue with the guide screwing up is not the fault of IceTV and I'm not disagreeing with that. What I do want responded to is this: As a long time user of XPMCE and with the benefit of experience I deferred my move to Vista knowing that there could be problems. One of my main criteria was that I must have a working and reliable EPG otherwise the move was definitely not worthwhile for me. OK so I waited until Ice announced that they had a working solution for Vista and not just a beta. With most of my other concerns now addressed I decided about a week and a half ago to move to Vista in the belief that all of the problems had been resolved. Now having relied on Ice's statements about Vista compatibility I find that I do not have a relieable EPG and as far as I'm concerned that's not good enough. In my opinion IceTV should extend the subscriptions of all those subscribers who relied on their announcement in moving to Vista. The extension should be as long as it takes to ensure that the guide works reliably as would reasonably have been expected from Ice's statements.

Your response is eagerly awaited!

Nomad

kjfarrell

You advertise that your product is Vista ready when it isn't, and your lack of responce to this issue is getting out of hand. I shall be reporting this to Consumer Affairs soon.

freddyfinn

If you think you guys have got it bad try being here in Newcastle. I loose Prime Northern every afternoon forcing me to rescan the channels every day. >:(

philzgr8

Quote from: freddyfinn on May 03, 2007, 05:11:26 PM
If you think you guys have got it bad try being here in Newcastle. I loose Prime Northern every afternoon forcing me to rescan the channels every day. >:(
For what it's worth rather than rescanning try scrolling around for a while in the mini guide. It has been reported that this can have the effect of repairing the guide.

jtrembath

Signal problems causing program guide issues? Find this hard to believe, that would mean that everyone has poorr Seven signal everywhere. I checked last night just befor the football on Seven, yes ready to record. Flicked over to watch the last 5 mins of another show on nine, went to go back to Seven and it was gone! Looked at the guide and 7 Digital 1 was on 6. This was around 8:30 Friday night.
With so many users on both XP and Vista having this issue ICE need to respond one way or the other. My subscription is ending soon and although when working ICE has the best EPG I'll look at OzTivo/BladeRunner Pro again.
Come on ICE, if it's an MS problem have you placed a support call?