Plex Setup Instructions - Enhanced Guide setting & frequent program refreshes

Started by Peter_H, April 15, 2019, 11:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_H

The installation instructions for Plex say that you should NOT tick the Enhanced Guide setting, because "(IceTV includes enhanced program guide images and information)"
However, I found that for quite a few programs, especially movies, there was no cover art displayed on the EPG, whereas ticking this box and refreshing the guide displayed the correct cover art.  Is it OK then to leave this box ticked?

FYI, there are few things in your setup instructions that need updating.  For instance "DVR (Beta)" in the settings menu has been replaced with "Live TV & DVR".

The option to "Enable more frequent program guide refreshes" does not exist in the current Plex server (at least not on QNAP NAS).  Without this option, I'm not sure how to make the guide update just before prime time as the setup instructions suggest?

Peter
Using Plex on QNAP NAS & NVidia Shield. In Sydney

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the heads up, we will have the setup instructions updated.

As for the "Enhanced Program Guide" setting, we would still recommend disabling that as we were definitely seeing issues in that past where the wrong show or episode was listed in the guide as the "Enhanced" guide was overriding some of the IceTV metadata.

But yes, it does look like the option to change "Enable more frequent program guide refreshes" has been removed, so we will remove that from our setup instructions as well.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Peter_H

Thanks Daniel,
I did disable the enhanced programming immediately after trying it yesterday, so based on your advice, I will leave it that way.
Overnight, the guide has been updated with next Sunday's movies.  Of these, more than half (8 of 14) have no cover art when looking at them in Plex.  Would the IceTV guide normally miss that much cover art from your own metadata?
Without the "more frequent..refreshes" I'm guessing there's no way then to make sure the guide is updated before primetime each evening as your documentation suggests?
Peter

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Peter,

From some additional testing it looks like this is now the default option, and I can see that multiple updates have occurred during the day as we expect.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Peter_H