Disabling the ice_epg_loader tap

Started by dclayw, July 17, 2006, 12:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidhazy

I've managed to stop the ICE EPG Uploader TAP from auto reinstalling by using the 0 byte TAP method mentioned above - but this doesn't stop the ICEBOX2 still downloading and installing the EPG data to the Toppy once a week.

And because the ICE EPG TAP isn't there to consume the EPG data the ICE EPG directory just keeps filling up with old EPG info.

We need the ICEBOX2 to completely disable TAP and EPG data downloads if we disable all the days in the ICEGuide settings.
Thanks,
kidhazy.

machunter46

Quote from: djos on July 26, 2006, 11:00:30 PM
I have the original Icebox and it annoys me no end that I cant prevent it from transferring the ICE_TAP to my Toppy once a week! I use TEDS-ICE + EPG_Uploader and I only have the ICE box to provide wireless connectivity to my Toppy for remote programming etc.
Ice, can you please add an option to both IceBoxes that allows the automatic upload of the TAP to the toppy to be disabled for TEDS-ICE Users?
I have an ICEBOX 1 and thinking of upgrading to an ICEBOX2.  I originaly was not an ICETV subscriber using TEDS and now am a subscriber using TEDS configured for ICe (formerly TEDS-ICE).  I have never entered my TEDS password in to the Netgear box as TEDS does the retreiving not Netgear/ICEBOX1. Teds knows my ICETV password ,ICEBOX1 does not. No ice_tap has ever appeared in my Toppy and none is wanted.
1. Am I misunderstanding this thread?? I don't see a problem.
2. Won't ICEBOX 2 perform the same way??

mtb

Quote from: machunter46 on August 21, 2006, 09:14:04 PM
No ice_tap has ever appeared in my Toppy and none is wanted.
1. Am I misunderstanding this thread?? I don't see a problem.
2. Won't ICEBOX 2 perform the same way??

Not having tried removing the user id and password, I can't say about the data side of things though I would expect it would stop the data download.  However, technically there is no reason why the IceBox2 would not still be able to drop the ice tap onto your Toppy, with or without data, when the conditions occur which cause this event - I use TED/S but have seen the Ice tap come back too.  The problem is simply one of having an extra (and redundant) tap running on your Toppy which could potentially interfere with other taps.  It's not a big issue but is an inconvenience.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

icneale

I've made the changes outlined in Richard's reply (No. 13) and all works well ... EXCEPT ...the ICE epg files are added at each scheduled update (overnight), but the old files remain on the Toppy. They gradually build up until justepg displays a message saying there are over 100 epg files and it is deleting the lot. Result - no epg data until the next scheduled update (or I crank up the PC and do a manual fetch).

Is there a way to have the old ICE data deleted automatically? ???

(Using Icebox2, justepg, ProgressBarKeys)

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

brianh

If you are using Ice through the Icebox only to bypass using a PC, then I think you need to run the Ice_EPG_loader TAP which probably (I'm guessing here) would take care of that?

If you are not using the Ice TAP, I'm guessing you would need to run Tony's EPG Uploader which can be set to delete the existing files before loading the new...I'm not aware of whether JustEPG will do this for you, you would need to check the readme.

I hope I have understiood your situation correctly, I wasn't quite sure from your post.

Cheers,
Brian H

mimac

icneale,

if you keep a copy of the Ice_EPG_loader TAP in the ProgramFiles folder (in addition to the fake one in Auto Start) you can start it up manually each day or two for a few minutes and it will delete the old files. I know it's not the fully automated solution you are after, but until you find another alternative, it saves having to "...crank up the PC.."

pmedak

I had this method of the fake file working for a while but all of a sudden I was getting pretty regular freezes when restarting the Topfield. It was like it was trying to load it (which I guess makes sense) but couldn't because it is just a text file with the same name of the Ice epg loader.

As soon as I removed the fake file it all came good. The problem then went back to the Topfield would not spin down the hard disk (as set by PBK) as the Ice Loader was running.

The way around it I have done is to use Tap Commander to enable/disable the Ice Loader Tap. As I rarely turn the unit off this works OK. Every once in a while I restart the Topfield, this will then launch the Ice Loader, wait a few minutes to clear out the old Ice files, then I just go to Tap Commander and disable the Ice Loader tap.

If JustEPG fails at 100 old Ice Files I anly have to this once every few months and if the Ice Loader is updated I won't even notice and the update will occur.