Fail to set channel 7 timers Monday 23 April 2018

Started by Pauloz53, April 24, 2018, 03:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauloz53

We have three different Beyonwiz devices set to record channel 7 shows Home and Away and My Kitchen Rules. These are a DP-P2, a T3 and a T4. Last night, none of these received timers for these two channel 7 shows, which nearly ruined our evenings viewing.

A check of the T4 log revealed no timer was sent to the T4. The shows both appear before and after Monday but not on Monday. So what went wrong Monday?

Fortunately, the other half manually entered a timer for MKR after it started. And we also record Home and Away on Foxtel too. This is because we find our paid IceTV service unreliable at key times and do not trust it. It is not at all encouraging that our money is well spent if primetime shows on the main channel we watch have to be recorded on independent devices or manually checked daily to have some prospect we will get to see them.

Also, later in the evening I note that 7HD has suddenly become 7 Mate HD. The guide was listing 7 HD programs but what was playing was 7 Mate shows. This does not explain the failure to send timers though; our setting is prefer high def but the shows were available in SD too.

grumpy_geoff

Hi Paul,

I was going to suggest that you hadn't taken a settings backup immediately prior to USB flashing your T3 and T4 with 20180417 in the wee hours of Wed Apr 18.  The timers get sent 6 days out, so they would've been sent the previous (Tues) evening. Your settings restore would've been from an older backup that didn't have the timers for Mon 23-Apr. A resend all timers from your IceTV account would've fixed that up.
That all sounded plausible to me - apart from the fact the timer wasn't set on your DP-P2 as well :)

Did your Ice account expire for a period?  I think the DP-series timers get sent 5 days out, so if your account expired for a few days before you renewed then that could also be a possibility.

IanL-S

Looks like 7 Network has been playing silly-buggers. I had The Blacklist recording on my T2 and toward the end the content changed from 7HD to 7Mate HD (lost the last 10 minutes of the program). Not sure if they made any announcement they were going to do this but doing it in the middle of a program is unprofessional.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Pauloz53

Quote from: grumpy_geoff on April 24, 2018, 12:16:05 PM
Hi Paul,

I was going to suggest that you hadn't taken a settings backup immediately prior to USB flashing your T3 and T4 with 20180417 in the wee hours of Wed Apr 18.  The timers get sent 6 days out, so they would've been sent the previous (Tues) evening. Your settings restore would've been from an older backup that didn't have the timers for Mon 23-Apr. A resend all timers from your IceTV account would've fixed that up.
That all sounded plausible to me - apart from the fact the timer wasn't set on your DP-P2 as well :)

Did your Ice account expire for a period?  I think the DP-series timers get sent 5 days out, so if your account expired for a few days before you renewed then that could also be a possibility.

Hi GG,

If it were only the t3 and T4 then I too would attribute it to having mucked around with firmware. But it doesn't explain why the P2 failed to receive timers for channel 7.

Your theory is probable for the T3 since it gets the least attention these days. Didn't really bother with the timers and it's backup was after the USB update (it was set up from scratch) so I can wear that one.

For the T4, I took a backup on 17/04 @ 12:16 pm. Just checked it though and it only contains timers to Sunday evening. So, if Monday's timers weren't sent until later on the 17th then that backup would not have contained them. Flashed the firmware on the 18th. Your point is that if IceTV thinks a timer has been sent and received, from there it only updates the timer but doesn't send it anew. So the lesson here is to backup immediately prior to reflashing a T/U series.

That leaves the P2 with no explanation. It did not record anything either, according to the other half. She said she had to manually enter the channel 7 timers. If it had been sent a timer for 7HD, it may have recorded the wrong show because of 7 converting 7HD to 7 Mate HD suddenly and without warning last night.

My subscription renews automatically on the 26th.

Cheers, P.

Carljh

I too got caught out by the 7 Network last night and had set 7 News and Home & Away to record on 7HD.  When I played them back, found that I had recorded 7Mate.  Couldn't make out what had gone wrong and checked the broadcasts on my Fetch and the TV's own FTA and the same, 7Mate was showing on all despite the channel showing as 7HD.  As I have been having some problems with the new TV, went out to the sleepout which has its own aerial and the same there as well.  I emailed Channel 7 and this is the reply I got;

"Channel 7's HD channel has switched to 7mate today to ensure we show tonight's AFL match between Melbourne and Richmond in HD. It will switch back to a HD broadcast of our regular 7 channel at midnight tonight.
Regards,
7 Digital Support Team"

Typical arrogant 7 reply with no apology for any inconvenience (have had similar replies from them in the past).  I now remember that part of the deal of 7 showing AFL was that all transmissions were to be in HD, but why couldn't they reschedule the normal programs the same as they do when there is Thursday night footy?

IceTV should have picked this up though as the Fetch guide, the day before had no listing for 7HD on Tuesday night but thought at the time they were waiting for details from 7 as they are quite often late in releasing their schedules.

csutak40

Weird....  I just watched the Blacklist and mine was fine  :P
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,