Grand Designs Season/Episode numbering

Started by DaveBinM, July 12, 2017, 09:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBinM

Hello again!

When I've been recording episodes of Grand Designs, I've noticed that the season and episode information doesn't match up with what IMDb or TheTVDB have listed for the show. Which means when I correct the numbers, I miss out on episodes, because the season and episode numbers are done differently. Any chance you guys can have a look at this, and see if the data can be amended to follow IMDB / TVDB? I don't believe there are any episodes airing at the moment, but it's something I've come across in the past, and wanted to bring up.

Typically, these are airing on ABC either on Weekdays at 6:00pm, or on Sundays at 7:30pm.

Thanks,
David

MD

Hi David,

The problem is virtually insolvable. The eps you see in IMBD are those of the original airings but the ABC mixes up different eps from different seasons and numbers them as they choose. If we renumber them to match their original airings it would confuse ABC viewers who will see the differences between IceTV's and the ABC's ones, plus those from different seasons would be impossible to fit in order. Any suggestions most welcome as we've wrestled with it and come to the conclusion we have to match the current airings on the ABC.

prl

Quote from: DaveBinM on July 12, 2017, 09:37:20 PM
... I don't believe there are any episodes airing at the moment ...

Grand Designs New Zealand is currently airing on ABC/ABC HD. I don't know whether it has the same issues with season/episode numbering, because though IMDb lists it, it says there are "No episodes", even though it's dated as 2015, and one episode has shown in the current run on ABC.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

DaveBinM

@MD Yeah, it certainly doesn't sound simple :/ I'm using the guide with Plex's DVR, and so I'm trying to match the recorded episodes with theTVDB for metadata, but it's become a fairly manual process in recording and then changing the information. I had wondered if it was possible to use the season numbering provided by the ABC, and then link the IMDB or TVDB reference to the "correct" episode (even if it has a different number, but that might just complicate things further.

@prl Grand Designs New Zealand is a separate show with independent season and episode numbering, and fortunately doesn't have this issue.

icedaddative

Hi David
TVDB (while generally reliable) is a mess for Grand Designs. Strangely I've found the best record is Wikipedia. It's easy to search within the pages to find the, say, 11 episodes set in Hertfordshire all of which the ABC will helpfully title "Hertfordshire" despite each episode having an actual name!
Also each revisit episode cross references to the original episode and any other revisits (as some have been revisited more than once) - very handy.

I suspect the problem *partly* arises from TVDB's insistence that numbering be based on chronological air date instead of production numbering which does not play well for many series as other broadcasters will naturally air based on production numbering. I've certainly found that TVDB has completely bungled GD (though not GD (AU) or GD (NZ)), and has locked it.