SBS Viceland errors when scheduling recordings

Started by Melb137, June 30, 2017, 07:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melb137

Hi there

I seem to be getting a great many errors when scheduling new recordings for SBS Viceland.  The initial item appears to be ok, but after about 24hrs it appears with the little yellow error triangle/icon in my recording list. Even if I delete it and recreate it later, the error reappears. And ultimately nothing record. Is anyone elsé experiencing this and/or could offer advice?

Cheers

IanL-S

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Melb137

IanL-S

Toppys can have problems when updating timers when there are consecutive timers on the same LCN. This may be what you are seeing. The problem tends to happen more frequently with commercial networks, who tend to adjust the start time of programs several times before transmission.

What happens is that you have two timers one scheduled for 8.30 and the other for 9.30. IceTV data base is updated changing them to 8.40 and 9.35 respectively. The way Toppys update a timer is that it is deleted and a new timer is created, however the updated 8.40 timer cannot be creaed as it clashes with the old 9.30 timer, and for some reason the subsequent timer is not updated as well.

The only solution I have found is to go to the Toppy, open up the EPG go to the time when the second timer is shceduled, and create a timer on another sercvice by pressing the record button (you may need to create seveal on various services) until timer clash is reported, then delete the timer you want and the 'spare timers', then create the updated timer, by pressing the record button; you wil then be able to create the first timer. Messy but it works.

There are cases where the problem happens with a single timer, but in that case it does not (in my experience) result in lost recordings.

PS 1: Merely deleting the timer does not help; if you then try to create a replacement timer you get an error message that the timer already exists.

PS 2: I assume that when you look at the error message it says there is a timer conflict - not sure if this is easily found on the IceTV Interactive site, but if you get email error messages that is probably what you will get.

PS 3: In some cases you also get error message when the program is not in the Toppys EPG data base - sometimes the EPG data is incomplete, with either blanks, or whole network data missing.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Melb137

Thanks Ian for the advice.  I also logged a call with IceTV support who advised me to clear all timers, reset the EPG data on the actual  Topfield device, and re-download the timers.  The assumption being that a file in the EPG had been corrupted.  Anyway that seemed to fix it.  But I was fortunate to have been home and therefore able to deal with it in person.  As I travel extensively that would not always be the case and I will certainly follow your suggested process if dealing with this remotely.

Thanks again
Cheers

Melb137

And I might invest some effort in getting remote access via my NAS working. That would help.

Cheers