Missing recordings - timer log

Started by eafywan, May 28, 2017, 09:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eafywan

Hi all, I have a T4 connected to ICE which works great when it is working. However, lately there are recordings that just go missing randomly. The missing timers are not in the list of completed recordings in the T4 and they are't sitting there waiting past the record date.

For example, a few weeks ago, the movie John Wick was on, I set it to record a one time only. The date and time passed, the movie did not record and it wasn't in the list of waiting or completed timers. The same thing happened again on Friday night with the Graham Norton Show which was a single recording.

I have verified that these timers are synced in the ICE TV app prior to the date, is there a viewable log to see what happened, why the ICE server has "chosen" to remove it or whether the T4 has done it etc? I recently deleted the ICE guide from the T4, reset it all from scratch but continue to have missed recordings.

prl

There is an IceTV log, accessed through MENU>IceTV>Show log, but it's cleared on shutdown, reboot or GUI restart, so you may not have the relevant part of the log available any more.

I'm not sure what you mean by "deleted the ICE guide from the T4", but you can get a full resend of both the EPG and all timers by doing MENU>IceTV>Disable IceTV on the T4, "Resend all recordings for this device" on the IceTV Web page, then on the T4 MENU>IceTV>Enable IceTV and then MENU>IceTV>Fetch EPG and update timers now.

When you do that you should see entries for all timers either being updated (for both newly created timers and updates of existing timers), deleted (if they have been removed on the IceTV server side since the last timer update to the T4, or an error. Unfortunately, the deletion messages don't say which timer has been deleted, if there are deletions.

You should then be able to check timer updates logged against timers in the timers list.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

eafywan

Hi Peter, thanks for that, I'll check the logs as it has been a while since the GUI has been restarted. I believe I went through that process to reinitialise the ICE EPG and timers, I am fairly certain I had to set it all up again from scratch since the last major firmware update (USB only) which was sometime in the last couple of months from memory.

prl

You can page back and forward in the log using the UP/DOWN remote buttons. The log isn't limited in length while the GUI stays running, and it isn't cleared if you disable IceTV (MENU>IceTV>Disable IceTV).

Unfortunately, the IceTV log isn't saved to a file, so it's not possible to search the log entries or cut/psate snippets from the log.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

grumpy_geoff

Quote from: prl on May 29, 2017, 05:21:12 PM
You can page back and forward in the log using the UP/DOWN remote buttons. The log isn't limited in length while the GUI stays running, ...

The Ice log doesn't extend past 40 entries on my T4 - are you seeing it extend further?
Box Uptime:   5d 9:08
As you know, I'm running your alpha fix for issue #590

eafywan

I'm not seeing anything prior to this afternoon, essentially there are two pages of logs. I'll keep a closer eye on it over the next week.

prl

Quote from: grumpy_geoff on May 29, 2017, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: prl on May 29, 2017, 05:21:12 PM
You can page back and forward in the log using the UP/DOWN remote buttons. The log isn't limited in length while the GUI stays running, ...

The Ice log doesn't extend past 40 entries on my T4 - are you seeing it extend further?

You're right, I didn't look deeply enough at the code. The log only shows the last 40 log entries.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

eafywan

I didn't catch the log file in time but the Graham Norton Show didn't record again last Friday. Is anyone from ICE able to check their server log and see what the issue was? It was on WIN HD Toowoomba, we record plenty of shows from the same channel that work OK. The only difference is that this was set as a single recording not a series recording. Once again, no notification of a failed recording. I am happy to provide any further info needed, just let me know.

prl

Is there still a (finished) timer entry set on the Beyonwiz for Graham Norton? The finished timers follow the active and waiting timers in the Beyonwiz's timer list (TIMER button from live TV).

If there is a timer entry, what's in the timer's log? (Navigate to the timer in the TIMER list and press INFO to get the timer log)

Did you notice whether a timer was sent to the Beyonwiz after you set it on IceTV?

A timer log for a timer that runs normally should have:
Quoteactivating state 1
Found enough space to record
Filename calculated as: filename path
prepare ok, waiting for begin
activating state 2
start recording
activating state 3
stop recording

The timestamps on the "start recording" and "stop recording" entries should correspond with the timer start and end times.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

eafywan

Quote from: prl on June 12, 2017, 05:34:05 PM
Is there still a (finished) timer entry set on the Beyonwiz for Graham Norton?

Hi Prl, there is no entry in the expired timers for the GNS. I can't say with 100% certainty the timer was sent however it definitely registered as sent in the app as the red donut turned to a red circle shortly after the timer was added. I got a PM from MD with a link to clear the cache so I'll try that.

MD

Hi, The problem is that a red dit only means that IceTV has sent the recording.  If the T4 has a problem it should send back a waring symbol but if it's got in a knot nothingncomes back so IceTV thinks all is OK and the phone app shows the same.  prl - any comments?

Our "dream" is to get proper tight IceTV integration so we can both see and control the PVR from IceTV, not have this separation ping-pong in the dark where if the PVR isn't setting correctly IceTV can't get at it remotely to solve it.  As pay tv networks do.

prl

Quote from: MD on June 12, 2017, 06:55:50 PM
Hi, The problem is that a red dit only means that IceTV has sent the recording.  If the T4 has a problem it should send back a waring symbol but if it's got in a knot nothingncomes back so IceTV thinks all is OK and the phone app shows the same.  prl - any comments?

Sometimes a timer will be sent from IceTV to the Beyonwiz, the Beyonwiz sets the timer and acknowledges, but the timer icon doesn't changed from "queued" to "set" ("hollow" icon to "solid" icon) on the IceTV server side. But the timer is set on the Beyonwiz. Usually the next time a timer is sent from IceTV, IceTV's display for the timer will be updated. But this does not seem to be eafywan's problem.

The Beyonwiz IceTV plugin does send a failure response to the IceTV server if it can't set the timer, but it appears to have sent a "timer set OK" response in eafywan's case.

It's hard now to be sure whether the problem was that the Beyonwiz sent a "timer set OK" response without actually setting the timer, or whether the timer was set but later deleted for some reason.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

eafywan

Thanks all, I have now done the cache clearing process. The timers have all been resent and I can confirm in timers list on the T4 that all timers have been sent. I'll see how it goes.

eafywan

Another recording has completely vanished. I set the Graham Norton Show to record last Friday night as usual. Note that I only ever do a single recording, not series recording for this show (depends on who he is interviewing).

I verified that after the red circle filled in to solid red that the timer was set on the T4, which it was. I am unable to check the T4 until Saturday night, which I did and there was no Graham Norton Show. The timer that was in the list was gone completely, not still waiting and not in the completed timers. So I am still none the wiser what is causing this timer to vanish. I set the timer earlier in the week, it was in the list of timers right up until Thursday night.

I think I will change the Ice TV retrieval time on the T4 so that there is a longer time frame kept in the Ice TV log list to see if there is anything there removing this timer.

prl

Could you post when you next set a single Graham Norton Show timer and I'll set a parallel timer, and see if I can catch something in the debug logs (if it disappears for me, too).

I assume that you are setting the timers through the IceTV Web page, rather than from the Beyonwiz UI?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use