Main Menu

Maigret

Started by simoncasey, April 16, 2017, 07:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simoncasey

The Maigret on ABC tonight isn't the 1992 Michael Gambian version but a new version staring Rowan Atikinson

Tiphanee

Hi there -

Many thanks for your note.  This was corrected just after your forum post so should have been caught in the update prior to the programme start time.

Cheers,

Tiphanee
Regards,

Tiphanee
IceTV Guide Team Leader

prl

And meant that because I didn't see the post, I missed recording it, because it was set up to record using the "old" Maigret series recording :(

I've set up a series recording for the new series. iView for the first episode, I guess.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on April 17, 2017, 07:18:36 PMI've set up a series recording for the new series. iView for the first episode, I guess.

Is there anywhere an indication that ABC will be showing [reputedly] all four episodes? Like one astute reviewer observed it will take a while for Mr Bean to disappear.

I thought that the greatest Maigret character was Rupert Davies. There were 3 DVDs of his 1950s-60s BBC series released recently, but regrettably only with German audio. I would have thought that adding an English audio track would have assured some extra sales, but perhaps copyright issues interfered with this. Over the years I have searched in vain for some recordings of the Rupert Davies series, only to find a plethora of references to the Michael Gambon version from the 90s.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl

The ABC EPG says that the episode broadcast last Sunday (16 Apr) was Series 1 Episode 1, which is hopeful, but the timeslot on Sun 23 and Sun 30 has, variously, repeats of Grantchester, Dr Blake and DCI Banks. :(

I've never seen this version of Maigret, or the Rupert Davies one, only the one starring Michael Gambon.

IMDb also throws up a French-language Maigret series with Bruno Cremer as Maigret. It's one of those now-typical European series with multi-country production, in this case from France, Belgium, Switzerland & Czech Republic. IMDb has it listed as a single "season" that ran 1991-2005.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on April 19, 2017, 05:48:27 PMI've never seen this version of Maigret, or the Rupert Davies one, only the one starring Michael Gambon.

The first of this current series (Maigret 2016) with Rowen Atkinson was screened by ITV a bit over a year ago. There have been two more episodes screened, with (I think) a fourth to come. Rupert Davies was said to have been Georges Simenon's ideal pick for the TV realisation of his creation. I watched the series in the UK in black and white 4:3 before such things as VCRs and PVRs were invented, and remember the opening theme music by Ron Grainer and Maigret lightning his pipe with what almost looked like a Swan Vestas advertisement, in the days when smoking was still cool. I have tried poking the BBC to re-release the series without success, as it is said that they still have all 52 episodes in the archives.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

simoncasey

Quote from: prl on April 17, 2017, 07:18:36 PM
And meant that because I didn't see the post, I missed recording it, because it was set up to record using the "old" Maigret series recording :(

I've set up a series recording for the new series. iView for the first episode, I guess.
Yes, I wished I hadn't mentioned it as I too missed the recording but fortunately caught the repeat on the next day.

In the end it wasn't that great, nice views of Paris but I kept expecting Maigret to come up with a "cunning plan".

prl

Quote from: simoncasey on April 20, 2017, 07:53:56 AM
... I kept expecting Maigret to come up with a "cunning plan".
Wasn't Baldrick (Tony Robinson) the one with the "cunning plans"?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

IanL-S

Quote from: prl on April 20, 2017, 10:29:19 AM
Quote from: simoncasey on April 20, 2017, 07:53:56 AM
... I kept expecting Maigret to come up with a "cunning plan".
Wasn't Baldrick (Tony Robinson) the one with the "cunning plans"?

Yes, that is my recollection also.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: raymondjpg on April 19, 2017, 07:13:54 PM
Quote from: prl on April 19, 2017, 05:48:27 PMI've never seen this version of Maigret, or the Rupert Davies one, only the one starring Michael Gambon.

The first of this current series (Maigret 2016) with Rowen Atkinson was screened by ITV a bit over a year ago. There have been two more episodes screened, with (I think) a fourth to come. Rupert Davies was said to have been Georges Simenon's ideal pick for the TV realisation of his creation. I watched the series in the UK in black and white 4:3 before such things as VCRs and PVRs were invented, and remember the opening theme music by Ron Grainer and Maigret lightning his pipe with what almost looked like a Swan Vestas advertisement, in the days when smoking was still cool. I have tried poking the BBC to re-release the series without success, as it is said that they still have all 52 episodes in the archives.

For those who may be interested, all 52 episodes were released on DVD/Bluray in October 2021. A search on Amazon will find them.

I cannot see them anywhere on BBC iPlayer, but this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maigret_(1960_TV_series) advises "In 2022 the series was broadcast by UK television channel Talking Pictures TV."