Skippa not recording

Started by TimC, January 18, 2017, 11:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimC

I have found that my Skippa hasn't been recording lately.

I initially thought that it was the Christmas non ratings period, but I can see programs in the My Week list that aren't being recorded.

Further, when I press the Record button nothing happens.

I tried deleting a few recordings, but that didn't help either. There seems to be a reasonable amount of space on the hard drive

I am also getting a few records showing up in the "Failed Recordings". I've never had that happen before.

Is anyone else having a similar problem? 

Any solutions?

It also gets shut down for a few minutes every day.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

bodogbodog

No problems with mine at the moment
But that sort of things happens from time to time - sadly it's all part of being a Skippa
Have you tried powering it off and back on - that fixes mine - fortunately I don't have to do that often though
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

TimC

It gets powered on and off daily.  I set up a power timer to do it.

Dave at IceTV

Hi Tim,

The power timer would just switch it to standby which would not clear some issues.

Try a full reboot by going to "Menu > Settings > General > Restart".

Also try clearing the EPG to force a full update by going to "Menu > Settings > icetv > Reset EPG".
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

TimC

Hi Dave,

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on January 19, 2017, 12:38:53 PM
The power timer would just switch it to standby which would not clear some issues.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. It seems to go through all the reboot processes.

Try a full reboot by going to "Menu > Settings > General > Restart".
I have tried this as well.

Also try clearing the EPG to force a full update by going to "Menu > Settings > icetv > Reset EPG".

I haven't tried this yet.

However, in the interim,  I am now looking for a way to move all my series recordings onto my spare Skippa. i.e. from the one Labelled SKIPPA to the one Labelled SKIPPA2.

There was a time when you resurrected my series recordings after they were somehow wiped.  Can you do this transfer for me?

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: TimC on January 19, 2017, 11:05:19 PM

I haven't tried this yet.

I would try the Reset EPG menu option before trying anything else as resetting the IceTV EPG is quick and simple to do.

However, in the interim,  I am now looking for a way to move all my series recordings onto my spare Skippa. i.e. from the one Labelled SKIPPA to the one Labelled SKIPPA2.

Both of your skippas are checking in every 10 minutes. Your TOPPY2460 is checking in every 15 minutes. But I'm not sure about PVR1. Check in PVR1's IceTV menu to make sure the device label has PVR1 selected (and not SKIPPA).

Quote from: TimC on January 19, 2017, 11:05:19 PM
There was a time when you resurrected my series recordings after they were somehow wiped.  Can you do this transfer for me?

Adding an option on the website for customer to do copy or move series between their devices themselves is still on our to-do list.

It could take a week or more to get someone at this end to move all your series from 1 device to another device. I don't want to manually move 192 series. I'd suggest that you manually start copying any series that are currently airing so the current shows are recording on Skippa2. If you do it from My Week on the phone app you can tap on an episode and tap on 'Schedule show on another device'.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

TimC

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on January 20, 2017, 04:30:19 PM
I would try the Reset EPG menu option before trying anything else as resetting the IceTV EPG is quick and simple to do.

Yep, Tried that to no avail

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on January 20, 2017, 04:30:19 PM
Both of your skippas are checking in every 10 minutes. Your TOPPY2460 is checking in every 15 minutes. But I'm not sure about PVR1. Check in PVR1's IceTV menu to make sure the device label has PVR1 selected (and not SKIPPA).

I am seeing the set timers on all the machines except SKIPPA2 (which has none at the moment).  Its just that the SKIPPA machine simply doesn't save the data to the disk.
Note! I can delete recordings OK, but even simply pressing the record button doesn't work.  Neither does selecting Record from the guide.  The Red "R" appears for about 15 seconds and disappears again.

The upshot is that it doesn't appear to be a Timer issue.   

I suspect, the only solution may be a Format, but I have too many recordings for that action at the moment,

I have one idea that might work, being to log off both machines and start SKIPPA2 as a new user, name it SKIPPA and then do a "Resend all recordings for this device" for the SKIPPA from the website.  I will probably need to swap the network addresses as well.

Does IceTV use the MAC address to identify the machines as well?

It was something vaguely similar that wiped all my timers once before.

What are your thoughts?

Can you send me a list of my current Timers, so that if this approach fails I could at least manually enter them manually?

TimC

Dave,

I have to say, the idea of manually setting up the timers on SKIPPA2 is daunting.
I have just spent an 2 hours trying to do this week.

The web site is an appalling tool.

To explain, currently for most of my recordings I use my two toppys as backup devices for the SKIPPA.
All the timers go on the SKIPPA which has enough tuners to handle most situations.  Everything set on the SKIPPA on Nine and Seven is also set up on one Toppy and Everything on Ten, ABC and SBS gets set up on the other toppy.
There are a couple of discrepancies but not all that many.

On your website I started by having a look at all my series recordings i.e. I selected all recorders.  The result was a list of one of each program recorded Sometimes the duplicated timers are shown for one device and sometimes the other.

So I went to My week for the SKIPPA and for the first of each timer listed set a series recording for SKIPPA2.  The result was about a third of the timers appeared in the My Week for the SKIPPA2.

I waited a while to see if they would come through later.

I then had a look at the guide for the various items and found that they were showing as a series recording but not being recorded. Initially I tried deleting the series recording and setting it again.  The trick was to do it on the first appearance in the guide.  That seemed to work. Later I simply selected to "record it anyway" and that worked, but hunting through the guide to find them all was frustrating.

That website needs some work.   

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: TimC on January 20, 2017, 07:41:11 PM
I am seeing the set timers on all the machines except SKIPPA2 (which has none at the moment).  Its just that the SKIPPA machine simply doesn't save the data to the disk.
Note! I can delete recordings OK, but even simply pressing the record button doesn't work.  Neither does selecting Record from the guide.  The Red "R" appears for about 15 seconds and disappears again.

<snipped>

Does IceTV use the MAC address to identify the machines as well?

Yes.

You could swap the HDDs to see if the SKIPPA machine will then record. And with the "faulty?" HDD in SKIPPA2 you can still play your existing recordings.

Or you could swap the mainboards, so that SKIPPA2 would be seen by IceTV as SKIPPA - which should now be able to record if the mainboard was the cause of the issue.

Either way you should not need to change any of your IceTV series. They should continue to be sent to SKIPPA.

Quote from: TimC on January 20, 2017, 07:41:11 PM
Can you send me a list of my current Timers, so that if this approach fails I could at least manually enter them manually?

Check your email.

By the way, all you needed to do was open My Week on the website, select SKIPPA as the device, highlight the shows for the week, press Ctrl+P and select "print selected".
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: TimC on January 21, 2017, 12:17:20 PM
Dave,

I have to say, the idea of manually setting up the timers on SKIPPA2 is daunting.
I have just spent an 2 hours trying to do this week.

The web site is an appalling tool.

I could have manually "moved" all of SKIPPA's 142 series over to SKIPPA2 in less than an hour.

You only had 18 schedules for SKIPPA for the next 7 days and 8 of those were the same series another schedule in my week. So you only had to copy 10 shows which are listed in My Week.

In My week, click on an episode, click on 'Schedule new recording', change Device to SKIPPA2, click on Add recording'. Repeat for the remaining 9 series.

This is easier on the phone app because it lists all devices schedules on 1 screen.
On the website when you start with SKIPPA selected and set a new recording for SKIPPA2 the selected device changes to SKIPPA2. So you would need to change the device back to SKIPPA after 'copying' each series to SKIPPA2.

In My Series it stays set to the device you selected so it is easier to 'copy' or 'move' series to another device from My Series. But you if you are only doing this week's shows you need to know which series to 'copy' or 'move'. I always do it with 2 browser Windows open. One open showing My Week with the source device selected. And the other open to My Series, also with the source device selected. If you 'move' the series they vanish from the list which makes it easy to see what series are left to 'move'. They vanish from SKIPPA's series list because they are no longer assigned to SKIPPA and are now in SKIPPA2's series list.

To 'move' all series from SKIPPA to SKIPPA2 I'd do the following:

• Go to My Series on the website.
  • Set Device to SKIPPA.
  • Click on any series recording.
  • Click on 'Update series on SKIPPA'.
  • In the 'Update series recording' popup window change 'Device' to SKIPPA2.
  • Click on the red 'Update series recording' button.
  • Repeat steps 3 to 6 for all remaining SKIPPA series, and keyword recordings.

If you do them in groups it goes quicker. e.g. Do the shows with long names first. Then the shows with a single word name. Then shows with the year at the end. Then do all the shows that start with 'The' in their name. By now you only have about 30 left and the task ahead doesn't seem too bad. Before you know you have finished.

"Copying" series from one device to another is much the same except the series don't vanish from the list as you do them so it is a lot harder to see which ones you have left to do.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

TimC

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on January 21, 2017, 02:11:04 PM
In My week, click on an episode, click on 'Schedule new recording', change Device to SKIPPA2, click on Add recording'. Repeat for the remaining 9 series.

Dave, this is pretty much what I did, but for some reason some of the timers did not show up in My Week.  When I checked the guide, they showed up as series recordings but greyed out.  Much of the time I spent was trying to figure out what was going on. 

On reflection, it is possible that I didn't select the first instance of the series when I added the new recording and as a result the working timers before that were not set. 

However I'm not convinced that is the answer as one of the "Family Feud" timers that were not set was pretty much in the middle of the list.

I am hoping getting the rest on the My Series page works better. Given that the timers for those recordings are in the future, it will probably go better.

By the way, my apologies if I sounded harsh. "Appalling" was probably a bit strong.

I my defence I am currently dealing with a wife in hospital and I am only getting a few free minutes each day to deal with my problem.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: TimC on January 21, 2017, 09:07:58 PM
By the way, my apologies if I sounded harsh. "Appalling" was probably a bit strong.

I my defence I am currently dealing with a wife in hospital and I am only getting a few free minutes each day to deal with my problem.

No apologies needed. I could sense your frustration.

Hope your wife comes home soon.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

TimC

Dave,

All the timers have been moved.  So I am now looking for a way to transfer the video files on the SKIPPA over to SKIPPA2. 

The lack of an FTP client on the Skippa seems to prevent this.

I can see both the Skippas (and their recordings) on the computer and I can Cast the programs to either of the Toppys and the smart TV (but not to the Skippas), but I am at a loss as to how I can move the files from one Skippa to another.

If I can do this I will try a factory reset and a format on the SKIPPA to see if that resolves the recording issue.

brianc

I now have exactly the same problem as that reported by TimC back in January 2017.

My SKIPPA seems to be interacting correctly with the IceTV system. The "My Week" entries are updating as expected. I can even set a program to record by using the "RECORD" button on my remote while viewing the EPG. The entry turns up in "MY WEEK", but the last time that my SKIPPA actually recorded something was back on 2nd May 2017.

I have tried all of the remedies described in this thread, including a RESTART, totally disconnecting the power while in STANDBY, and an EPG RESET but to no avail.

My HDD is just under 70% full.

Any ideas?

magpies1

I'm having this issue as well.

Nothing records using any method. Have done the EPG reset, it made no difference.

Any clues?