Windows 10 Anniversary Update ate my WMC!

Started by a4x4kiwi, September 25, 2016, 09:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a4x4kiwi

The anniversary update uninstalled WMC!

Looks like that is the end of that. Time to go back to Win7!
WMC was the best media centre PVR IMHO.

Or MythTV, but that can't schedule recordings from Ice, so it might the end of IceTV for me.

I couldn't find a solution last night, and a reinstall failed. See below output.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package Microsoft-Windows-MediaCenter-Package~31bf385
6ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384
[==========================100.0%==========================]
An error occurred - Microsoft-Windows-MediaCenter-Package Error: 0x800f0922

Error: 0x800f0922

DISM failed. No operation was performed.
For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Installing package failed, reverting...

You may reboot and try again
refer to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log to find error details

Press any key to exit.

Dave at IceTV

IMHO Windows 7 is better than Windows 10 so I can't understand why anyone with a Media Center PC would want to upgrade to Windows 10.

Error: 0x800f0922 when installing a Windows update in Windows 10 is apparently very common. It can be caused by 3 issues:

1. Low System Reserved partition space. When there is no enough free space for the system reserved partition, the computer will not be able to load new Windows 10 installation files without an error code such as 0x800F0922.

2. Failed to connect to Microsoft Windows Update server. VPN connection or Firewall settings etc.

3. The .Net framework installation portion of the Windows 10 update faieds. This seems to be the most common cause talked about on the web.

DISM errors (Deployment Image Serving and Management) are also a common theme. In fact the version of the Media Center Pack you are trying to reinstall specifically mentions DISM errors being fixed.

There is a nice troubleshooting page for Error 0x800f0922 here:
http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/system-backup/windows-10-update-with-error-code-0x800f0922-issue.html

If it was me, I'd go back to Windows 7 and never have to worry about Microsoft's updates breaking Media Center or Windows.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dave at IceTV

PS The clever people at the mydigitallife forum have created an updated version of the last Win10 Media Pack that does not use the DISM installer. This version is specifically for people getting DISM errors when trying to install the Win10 Media pack v12 which uses the DISM based installer.

v8.8.1 is based on v8 but with all the bug fixes and improvements from v12. See the following post on the mydigitalife forum:
https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/61061-DISCUSSION-Patch-WMC-to-run-on-Windows-10-final-amp-possible-alternatives/page532?p=1244333&viewfull=1#post1244333

The download link as at the end of that mydigitallife forum post. On the page that the link takes you to make sure that
before clicking on the Download button you click on the tiny grey shield next to "Download with Secured Download manager" otherwise you may download something you don't want! If you look closely the shield has a tick inside it and when you click on it the tick vanishes. You want the tick to be gone before you click on the Download button.

PPS The download link from that forum post only has a x64 version so you may be out of luck if your Windows 10 is 32bit and you cannot install the normal v12 media pack.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

raymondjpg

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on September 28, 2016, 12:29:21 PMIf it was me, I'd go back to Windows 7 and never have to worry about Microsoft's updates breaking Media Center or Windows.

Well, at least until 2020. I share your preference for Windows 7 over Windows 10 but it comes, increasingly, with transaction costs in the form of less attention paid to Windows 7 support in favour of Windows 10. Not just from Microsoft who would like to be rid of the troublesome OS because it is a nuisance to maintain but from other software and hardware vendors. For example Skylake that Microsoft was determined not to support with anything other than their newer products but had to because folk were just as determined to keep using Windows 7. Personally I live in hope that MS will come to a realisation that Windows 10 as it stands is not a worthy successor to Windows 7 and that it would be to their commercial advantage to develop and eventually provide one.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

raymondjpg

Quote from: a4x4kiwi on September 25, 2016, 09:12:12 AM

It also ate my classic shell. If anything was designed to put people off using Windows 10 this is a prime example. MS are not doing themselves any favours here.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Dave

It ate my WMC also.
Previously I could only get the WMC v11 running on my Windows 10.
The new WMC 8.1.1 installs and works first time and all looks good.
With version 11 I found that WMC would lock up and if it was in Full Screen mode I had to hard boot the box.
Let's see if version 8.1.1 is better.
Dave.
Antec NSK2480B Case & PSU, Asus M4A785TD-M-EVO motherboard, AMD Phenom II 965 3.40Ghz quad core CPU, 4Gb RAM, Hauppauge HVR2200 Dual Tuner, 1Tb and 500Gb WD HDDs, Windows 10 running NextPVR

raymondjpg

Quote from: Dave on September 30, 2016, 05:39:06 PMThe new WMC 8.1.1 installs and works first time and all looks good.

Was that the 64 bit version? I am waiting on a 32 bit version.

csutak40

Quote from: raymondjpg on September 30, 2016, 09:18:34 AM
Quote from: a4x4kiwi on September 25, 2016, 09:12:12 AM

It also ate my classic shell. If anything was designed to put people off using Windows 10 this is a prime example. MS are not doing themselves any favours here.
Oh!  Is that what happened to it :-)  Funny thing is - I have two computers running with Win10 and it only ate it on one of them!  I only just noticed and was asking myself if I had forgotten to install it on that one.  Now I know what happened :-)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

raymondjpg

Quote from: csutak40 on October 02, 2016, 06:23:30 AMOh!  Is that what happened to it :-)  Funny thing is - I have two computers running with Win10 and it only ate it on one of them!  I only just noticed and was asking myself if I had forgotten to install it on that one.  Now I know what happened :-)

I may have jumped the gun. The update could have just switched the user interface back to the Windows 10 tiles. Classic Shell re-installed without any problems.

csutak40

Quote from: raymondjpg on October 02, 2016, 02:35:32 PM
Quote from: csutak40 on October 02, 2016, 06:23:30 AMOh!  Is that what happened to it :-)  Funny thing is - I have two computers running with Win10 and it only ate it on one of them!  I only just noticed and was asking myself if I had forgotten to install it on that one.  Now I know what happened :-)

I may have jumped the gun. The update could have just switched the user interface back to the Windows 10 tiles. Classic Shell re-installed without any problems.
Yeah, it did re-install, but it still ate it  ;D  It had to be re-installed  >:(
Cheers,
Judy

csutak40

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on September 28, 2016, 12:29:21 PM
IMHO Windows 7 is better than Windows 10 so I can't understand why anyone with a Media Center PC would want to upgrade to Windows 10.

If it was me, I'd go back to Windows 7 and never have to worry about Microsoft's updates breaking Media Center or Windows.
I took that advice and stuck with Win7.
Seems I won't be able to do that for much longer, as Win7 support will stop soon.

So any advice for an alternative?  (without a huge learning curve  :P)
I suppose I could live without  WMC, but I like the system I currently have. That is, record stuff I want to keep on my HDD with WMC and everything else with the Wiz.  Save me having to move things around  ;D
Cheers,
Judy

MD

Ditto for me.  Win 7 may become unsupported but that won't mean it will stop working so unless a re-install is needed it will keep going for ever.  And I'm sure copies of Win7 will exist for years!! My MCE is cut right back with no updates, no other software running, so nothing to trip up MCE.

raymondjpg

Quote from: csutak40 on July 22, 2019, 07:39:44 PM
Quote from: Dave at IceTV on September 28, 2016, 12:29:21 PM

I took that advice and stuck with Win7.
Seems I won't be able to do that for much longer, as Win7 support will stop soon.

So any advice for an alternative?  (without a huge learning curve  :P)
I suppose I could live without  WMC, but I like the system I currently have. That is, record stuff I want to keep on my HDD with WMC and everything else with the Wiz.  Save me having to move things around  ;D

Dave's advice was, IMHO, spot on for 2016, but not for the latter half of 2019. I agree that Windows 7 was far and away a superior OS to Windows 10, but we are lumbered with it and have to make do. You could go OSX if you are that way inclined, I never have been, or Linux if you are prepared to put up with networking infrastructure that as far as I can make out has never been able to bridge ethernet and wireless NICs with the same IP address.

Even while Windows 7 remains supported, some things definitely work better in Windows 10. That is not to say I have switched to Windows 10 because of that, but to my mind it is a similar situation to trying to stay with Firefox 56. Things started not to work, some pages would not open. Mostly fixable probably with a bit of effort, for example Waterfox, but I doubt that much effort is still going into development of applications and drivers for Windows 7. The focus is more towards trying to make things work in Windows 10.

I don't know what Microsoft's thinking pumping out a bug-ridden "feature update" every six months or so. As one user commented they would be better off putting out a stable update every two years or so, and not be trying to make their flagship OS look like a Fisher Price toy.