Prefer Standard Def Option

Started by ChrisW, September 16, 2016, 11:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW

Could I please request a facility that allows the Advanced Options - Quality selection to be remembered for future timer settings?

I would imagine the last option used could be retained in the cookie or account database (as the last Device and Time/Channel currently are), or an option added in the account config to set the prefered default.

Reason being: I ALWAYS prefer my recordings to be standard def, but I want to retain the duplicate hi-def channels for the very occasional show I may prefer to watch in better quality, such as the Olympics recently.

Currently, every time I set a timer for SBS, TEN, Nine or 7mate I have to go into Advanced Options and change the Quality to "Prefer Standard Def", which frustratingly adds three mouse clicks to every timer setting.

Apart from the increased file size of hi-def recordings, the Skippa beavers away unsuccesfully for hours trying to process ad-skipping on these hi-def files. Im sure this extra disk and CPU activity is just shortening the Skippa's life expectancy.  :'(

Thanks in advance for any consideration.

prl

I've long been of the opinion that if you set up a recording on, say, SBS, it should default to "Prefer standard definition", and if you set it up on SBS HD, it should default to "Prefer high definition".

But then I also think that "Prefer high definition" should only refer to programs that have a HD program source, not just lots of pixels in the broadcast.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

ChrisW

Quote from: prl on September 16, 2016, 01:35:23 PM
I've long been of the opinion that if you set up a recording on, say, SBS, it should default to "Prefer standard definition", and if you set it up on SBS HD, it should default to "Prefer high definition".
That would work for me.

In fact you've just made me realise why it bugs me: I've made the effort to identify and select the standard-def show/channel when it is available on multiple channels, then I have to go extra effort to ensure it actually records on the channel I selected!

Thanks - I feel a bit better now.  :)

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on September 16, 2016, 01:35:23 PMBut then I also think that "Prefer high definition" should only refer to programs that have a HD program source, not just lots of pixels in the broadcast.

Search for Hens' Teeth in the egp.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD