Did WW II start rather earlier than we were led to believe in school?

Started by prl, August 06, 2016, 06:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

From the summary of The Kaiser's Pirates (SBS Sun Aug 7 17:30):
QuoteIn November 1916, German raider SMS Wolf set out for a 15 month long voyage through the oceans, finally reaching Australia and Papua New Guinea. ... This documentary sheds light on this forgotten chapter of the Second World War.

Now, there are various times that different countries might consider to be the start of the Second World War: the invasion of Sudetenland, the invasion of Poland, the invasion of USSR, the bombing of Pearl Harbour, and perhaps others, but I don't think any of them happened as early as 1916 :D

I know that this is probably simply taken from SBS (that's what's in their guide, too), but perhaps someone could be persuaded to fix it.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

Yes. Apologies for the multiple posts. I think I must have hit "post" when I meant "preview" a couple of times.

The date is correct. The SMS Wolf was a WW 1 ship. In WW 2, German ships no longer were called "His Majesty's Ship" (translation of the German for SMS), as the leader of the Third German Empire gave himself a rather different title.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Alison

Nice pick up ;)
Yes, you are correct in saying that the descriptions for all SBS channels come directly from the network. I have corrected it on our end now. I don't always read all the description for content errors, but only glance for typos and foreign characters :)

Cheers All,
Ally.
IceTV Guide Team