Skippa Non-Responsive Intermittently

Started by TimC, July 29, 2016, 11:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimC

Recently My router died and was replaced, but since the Skippa becomes non-responsive to the remote from time to time.
The behaviour is similar to when the IceTV servers were down.

The network seems to be OK but the network address is different i.e. Changed from 10.1.x.x to 192.168.x.x.

I'm guessing it something to do with this but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Any Ideas?
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

Carljh

Hi TimC,

I had the problem of the Skippa not responding to the remote, both my Logitech and the original on several occasions, so think it is just a coincidence that it has happened after your troubles with the router.  I fixed it by restarting the Skippa and think it is unfortunately  just another one of the gremlins that affect this device.

Dave at IceTV

Hi Tim,

As Carl said, the Skippa can stop responding to the remote sometimes. Ands sometimes it will stop responding for 10, 20 or 30 seconds and then come good once whatever it was doing in the background has finished.

Make sure it has the 1.1.10604 software which you can download here:
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/97066117-How-to-update-the-software-from-a-USB-stick

If you are in a regional area it could be related to the July 1st channel changes.

It could be that the Skippa (like some other PVRs) can't see your WiFi network if the network is using WiFi channel 1, 2, 3 or 4. Or maybe the router is using WiFi channel 12 or 13 and the maybe the Skippa won't connect to channels above 11 (channels 12 and 13 are illegal to use for WiFi in some countries). The solution here would be to disable auto WiFi channel on your router and manually set it to a channel from 5 to 11. You can get phone apps that will show you which WiFi channels your neighbours are using and which channels have the strongest signal.

Possibly your new router is set to a limited range of IP addresses and they are all being used, so when the Skippa's address lease expires and it asks for a new address there are none spare. Setting the router's DHCP address pool to a larger amount would solve this.

Disabling DHCP is another option that may help. Manually set the gateway and secondary DNS server the same as they are when DHCP is enabled. Then set the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8  (008.008.008.008) which should help if the non-responsiveness is due to slow or failed IP address lookups. Finally set the IP address to an address outside the router's DHCP pool (but within the legal range).

Or it could maybe possibly be some weird unknown bug in the Skippa's software that retained the old 10.1.x.x gateway and/or DNS addresses and tries to use it/them only for certain functions. A factory reset would be the only way to be 100% sure that it only has the current addresses saved.
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/95752697-How-do-I-reset-my-SKIPPA-and-set-it-up-again
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

TimC

Thanks Dave.
I'm using wired, but I'm going to try switching over to WiFi to see if that breaks the lock on the old address

TimC

Interesting. The Skippa is now operating on both WiFi and Wired. I expected that setting up WiFi would disconnect the Wired connection, but it didn't.
The issue is a bit improved but still present.

Is a connection to both Wired and WiFi likely to cause the problem?

How do you disconnect a network type?

Dave at IceTV

I can't imagine that having both wired and WiFi active would be good. Unplugging the network cable then rebooting from the General menu should be enough to disable the wired connection.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service