Cooling fans

Started by Carljh, May 28, 2016, 11:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carljh

As I have said in previous posts, apart from a few hiccups now and again, I am quite pleased with my Skippa.  However, I am very aware that if I strike any major problems, then it is a bin job and therefore I need to treat the unit with kid gloves.  It does run hot at times but I don't believe mine is as bad as some other owners have reported.  I noted in some earlier posts that some people have been using cooling fans and am just wondering if anyone that is using one has noticed any improvement in reliability and would recommend their use.  The thing that concerns me is that they are mainly designed for notebooks and therefore are not intended for continuous use so was wondering about their suitability for use with a PVR?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

IanL-S

I have some that have been running 24/7 for several years - used with my Toppys.

I have used one with my SKIPPA and T-2 from day one, so I cannot say if using one makes a difference. All I can say is that both are working without issue.

The main thing is to get one that is not too noisy. I have tried some that are too noisy. Others are great. The larger the fan, the less noise (as they do not need to rotate a fast). My preferred solution costs about $10 including postage from China. The only thing that I do not like is the blue light it emits. On some larger units it is possible to turn the blue light off.

Hope this helps

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Carljh

Thanks for that, Ian, think I will give it a go.  The one I have been looking at is the Deepcool N19 from eStore as it seems to be one of the few that you can use flat and doesn't have the hump to suit notebook use.

Carl

JPP

Hi Carl,

Before I sold my Skippa, I fitted it with an internal small and very quiet fan, running of the internal power supply. I still have the photos and other details, so if you're interested, send me a PM
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor