Stopping multiple recordings of the same show.

Started by BruceJG, May 11, 2016, 01:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceJG

How do I stop IceTV recording multiples of the same tv show.

I thought the REPEAT option was the way to achieve this, but I think it only stops REPEAT, as distinct from FIRST RUNS, shows from recording.

I know the answer is  out there some where .......

Thanks

Bruce

Dave

Bruce,
There are a few options.
Normally a new show not have the Repeat flag so just recording first runs will solve the issue.
If there are multiple shows that are not flagged as repeats, you can restrict your recording criteria by the number of episodes per day to record, or specify the time of the episode you want to record.  These are a couple of the advanced features in series recordings.
Dave.
Antec NSK2480B Case & PSU, Asus M4A785TD-M-EVO motherboard, AMD Phenom II 965 3.40Ghz quad core CPU, 4Gb RAM, Hauppauge HVR2200 Dual Tuner, 1Tb and 500Gb WD HDDs, Windows 10 running NextPVR

BruceJG

Thanks Dave

I had thought the FREQUENCY "One Per Day" was the option for me.

I have just tried it on Mega Breakdown's Italian Bridge, and it worked.

As always, thanks.

Bruce

Dave at IceTV

It depends on the program and which channels it is being shown on.

For example, ABC News shows new episodes seemingly every hour on channel 24, but only once a day at 7pm on channel 2. In this case the ABC News 24 channel is HD and ABC One is SD. So you can set ABC News to only record if it is in SD. Note: Prefer SD won't do it so you need the SD Only advanced setting.

But if the program is shown multiple times per day but always on an SD channel (or always on a HD channel) you can limit it to "1 per day". Of course that won't help if it is only on once per day but the same repeat episode is shown multiple times per week.

If "only SD" or "Only HD" or "1 per day" won't solve it for a particular program you can use the "at this time only" setting though I would use that with extreme care. And if you do use it you need to monitor the program each week to make sure it hasn't moved to a different time. The "This time only" means exactly that. There is no leeway or allowance on the starting time.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

BruceJG

Dave

Understood. A lot of flexiblity.

But, when choosing a particular TV show, and then clicking on "View upcoming episodes", repeat occurrences of that show might often be displayed. At times, they are on different days, and/or at different times.

Should I have several shows at the same time that I want to record on my T2 (usually at night between dinner and midnight), I might want to find out and record one of those shows at an odd time (wee small hours) and/or on a different day, so as to reduce congestion. Both my wife and I use our phones to record, and we don't realise we are causing congestion until we get those IceTV conflict emails.

So, if one of those shows is on different times and/or dates, it would be great to be able to simply click on/record that show at some other day/time in the 'View upcoming episodes / TV Showtime' area of IceTV, and thus exclude all the other offerings of that same show.

(I do understand and appreciate the filtering of HD/SD, one per day, etc.)

Hope this makes sense.

Bruce

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: BruceJG on May 11, 2016, 07:09:06 PM
But, when choosing a particular TV show, and then clicking on "View upcoming episodes", repeat occurrences of that show might often be displayed. At times, they are on different days, and/or at different times.

You do know that you can click on any of the episodes with a grey icon and click on "Record this episode". Then cancel just the single new episode that is going to cause a conflict (or ignore it if it already has a timer conflict error).

Quote from: BruceJG on May 11, 2016, 07:09:06 PM
So, if one of those shows is on different times and/or dates, it would be great to click on/record that show at some other day/time.in the 'View upcoming episodes' / 'TV Showtime' area of IceTV.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Bruce, it does make sense.

The ideal setting would be one that would enable logic to automatically find an upcoming repeat episode if the new episode would cause a conflict. But it would need not only know what repeat episodes are upcoming but also which shows are more important to the customer (in cases where there are multiple conflicts). Programming the logic code to handle every different model recorder would be a nightmare - for what is realistically a fairly rare occurrence overall.

The best scheme is to send all the schedules to the recorder and the let the recorder decide what it can record and what it cannot. Then if something gets rejected IceTV sends an email to alert the customer so that they decide how best to handle the conflict.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

csutak40

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on May 12, 2016, 04:04:52 PM

The ideal setting would be one that would enable logic to automatically find an upcoming repeat episode if the new episode would cause a conflict. But it would need not only know what repeat episodes are upcoming but also which shows are more important to the customer (in cases where there are multiple conflicts). Programming the logic code to handle every different model recorder would be a nightmare - for what is realistically a fairly rare occurrence overall.

The best scheme is to send all the schedules to the recorder and the let the recorder decide what it can record and what it cannot. Then if something gets rejected IceTV sends an email to alert the customer so that they decide how best to handle the conflict.

Good old TED had a star system, so that you could give more or less stars to a program according to your preferences, so if there was a conflict, it would decide according to the number of stars you've given
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

IanL-S

Quote from: csutak40 on May 12, 2016, 11:28:52 PM
Good old TED had a star system, so that you could give more or less stars to a program according to your preferences, so if there was a conflict, it would decide according to the number of stars you've given

There is something similar in the SmartEPG TMS TAP for current generation Toppys; you can assign importance to particular programs. It works quite well in my rather limited experience.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

TimC

I'm noticing something strange is happening on my Skippa at the moment. I am getting multiple recordings of the same show on the same channel.  The only difference being the start and end times which seem to differ by 5 to 15 minutes. e.g. Master Chef on Channel 10 on was set to record from 7:25 PM to 9:30PM and from 7:25 PM to 9:45 PM.
It look like the timer was updated and the old timer wasn't removed.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: TimC on May 16, 2016, 09:50:56 AM
I'm noticing something strange is happening on my Skippa at the moment. I am getting multiple recordings of the same show on the same channel.  The only difference being the start and end times which seem to differ by 5 to 15 minutes. e.g. Master Chef on Channel 10 on was set to record from 7:25 PM to 9:30PM and from 7:25 PM to 9:45 PM.
It look like the timer was updated and the old timer wasn't removed.

I wonder if the channel 7 update confused the Skippa (assuming you are in a capitol city that now has 7HD).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

TimC

I have my doubts that it is related to 7 HD as it has been happening on channel 10 as well as channel 7.
I always set my timers for Prefer SD as well.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)