Weird happenings again

Started by csutak40, May 08, 2016, 05:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

I generally update using USB when there is one available, but mainly because I'm a beta tester and I mess around with the firmware on my T series boxes a lot. It's useful to me to make sure I regularly get the firmware back to a known state.

Otherwise, I'd say that it's simplest to do online updates unless the release announcement says that you need to do a USB update or if your PVR isn't network connected. However, if you're using IceTV, it will be :). The online updates are applied directly without messing about downloading to a computer, unpacking, copying to USB, etc. You also don't have to restore settings or re-install downloaded plugins like IceTV.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Quote from: prl on May 09, 2016, 05:21:58 PM
I generally update using USB when there is one available, but mainly because I'm a beta tester and I mess around with the firmware on my T series boxes a lot. It's useful to me to make sure I regularly get the firmware back to a known state.

Otherwise, I'd say that it's simplest to do online updates unless the release announcement says that you need to do a USB update or if your PVR isn't network connected. However, if you're using IceTV, it will be :). The online updates are applied directly without messing about downloading to a computer, unpacking, copying to USB, etc. You also don't have to restore settings or re-install downloaded plugins like IceTV.

Thanks for that.  I thought that maybe there is a reason to do it with USB.  Last time I updated on line, was about to do the same again, then noticed the email advising of the update and it only mentioned the USB option, so I thought I'd better do it that way.

Know better next time  ;D
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

prl

The first paragraph of the update notice for the last update says "Download and install the USB update for your model number below, if your Beyonwiz T-series is connected to the internet this same update will be available via online update over the next couple of days." I.e. talks about it being available as both a USB update and online.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing