House of Cards - It's a repeat of the original UK series

Started by prl, March 16, 2016, 07:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

House of Cards (starting on GEM, 21:10, Tue, 22 Mar) is being advertised as starring Ian Richardson as Francis Urquhart, which means that this is a repeat of the UK version of the show, where (from IMDB) "Francis Urquhart is the chief whip of the [UK] Conservative party". The show synopsis says that it's about "Congressman Francis Underwood" played by Kevin Spacey in the later US remake.

Even the IceTV synopsis is confused, because the keywords for this series that's supposed to be about US politics say "Series, 1990, United Kingdom, English, Adult, Medical". Again, 1990 is the date of the original UK version: the US remake was 2013.

And "Medical"? The nearest show this gets to "Medical" is a lot of backstabbing, and while there may be a lot of figurative blood on the floor, "Medical" just isn't quite right. ;)

And, of course, it's a repeat. It is on GEM, after all ;)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Tezza007

raymondjpg

Quote from: Tezza007 on March 17, 2016, 12:26:59 AM
I was looking forward to it til I saw 1990!

1990 or not it is still worth watching if you haven't seen it before.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

If you have not seen the UK original before, you should watch it. I have seen it at least twice.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Tezza007

I'm sure it's good acting and writing but I couldn't handle the poor quality of a 30yo show

MD

Believe me, just because it's 30 years old does not mean it's poor quality. It was the basis for the Netflix version and they wouldn't have chosen poor material. In my opinion it's actually better. Ian Ruchardson was a superb actor who brought a wonderful malevolence to the role. Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect is another example of old (25 year) yet still superb television.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Tezza007 on March 17, 2016, 10:00:10 AM
I'm sure it's good acting and writing but I couldn't handle the poor quality of a 30yo show
About the only thing that is poor quality about it is 4:3.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl

Quote from: Tezza007 on March 17, 2016, 10:00:10 AM

"You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment."

We'll be watching it again. It really is very good.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

IceTV has fixed up the synopsis, but still isn't flagging it as a repeat. Good or not, it's still a repeat.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Tezza007

Quote from: Chairman on March 17, 2016, 10:16:46 AM
Believe me, just because it's 30 years old does not mean it's poor quality. It was the basis for the Netflix version and they wouldn't have chosen poor material. In my opinion it's actually better. Ian Ruchardson was a superb actor who brought a wonderful malevolence to the role. Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect is another example of old (25 year) yet still superb television.
I disagree. It will be poor quality just because it's 30 years old, including 4:3 as mentioned
I never said it was poor material, in fact the opposite, I said the acting and writing is probably good

csutak40

Quote from: prl on March 17, 2016, 12:50:54 PM

We'll be watching it again. It really is very good.

Grrr.  I hate you!  ;D  I promised myself that I am not watching anything new (let alone repeat  ::) ) as I will have to live well over 100 to watch everything I have recorded and still keep recording.  Now you talked me into it  ::)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

MD

Quote from: Tezza007 on March 17, 2016, 01:33:18 PM
Quote from: Chairman on March 17, 2016, 10:16:46 AM
I disagree. It will be poor quality just because it's 30 years old, including 4:3 as mentioned
I never said it was poor material, in fact the opposite, I said the acting and writing is probably good

I guess we'll see.  Pun intended.

Alison

The repeat flag is now corrected on this program. My apologies for the delay in fixing this oversight!
IceTV Guide Team

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

The IceGuide says that the repeat of House of Cards that's about to show (the original UK mini-series) is wide screen. IMDb says it's 4:3.

Given its age, I'd guess that IMDb is right.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use