Main Menu

Which PVR

Started by csutak40, March 11, 2016, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

My son and heir needs a new PVR.  He is (yes, it is possible) a LOT less tech savvy than his mother.  I am his official IT person ;D - that should tell you something  :P

Anyway, he just asked me what he should buy.  I think it would be a good idea to get something that works with IceTV, but other than that, I have no idea.  Which one is the most user friendly one?

Actually, I just remembered!  He has no Internet (except for a dongle) so IceTV may not be of much use.  He comes over here to update his software.  :-)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

Paul55

As you know, good PVRs last quite a few years - probably longer than his non-connected condition.
As such, I'd recommend a PVR that is Ice capable but not dependant. The T series Beyonwiz probably needs a tech savvy carer so, IMO, that leaves  the TAP and IceTV capable Toppies.
The 2400 is good if you can find one and the the new 53xx should be very similar - though I haven't read much about them.

IanL-S

Quote from: Paul55 on March 12, 2016, 08:13:29 AM
As you know, good PVRs last quite a few years - probably longer than his non-connected condition.
As such, I'd recommend a PVR that is Ice capable but not dependant. The T series Beyonwiz probably needs a tech savvy carer so, IMO, that leaves  the TAP and IceTV capable Toppies.
The 2400 is good if you can find one and the the new 53xx should be very similar - though I haven't read much about them.

Unfortunately the 5300 series uses the same hardware platform as the 2400, 7160, 7260 and 7170. However it may have fewer problems with IceTV due to the possible allocation of more memory for EPG management.

I suspect the Beyonwiz T series may be much more of a challenge than Topfield with TAPs. Although, bang-for-bucks the T2 overwhelms any current Toppy.

I suppose you could go for an idiot proof Panasonic, but at a much higher price.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Dave at IceTV

The most user friendly PVR (with or without IceTV) is the Humax HDR-7500T. Can only record 2 shows at once but that may be all he needs. Has built in show name based series recording - just click on the show in the EPG and it records the series, as long as the title doesn't change.

A Topfield 5300 would be a little more complicated (the menu system would be familiar to you if you needed to help him). Can record 4 shows from 2 networks at once. Has built in show name based series recording - just click on the show in the EPG and it records the series, as long as the title doesn't change.

The T2 would be a nightmare for a non-tech savvy user. Can record a gazillion shows from 3 networks (comes with USB tuner). Has very flexible series timer settings if he is capable of figuring them out.

The main advantage the T2 has is that you would never have to explain to him why his Humax or Topfield recordings sometimes don't have the end padding added (when he records back to back shows). Or why sometimes he can record 2 shows and watch a 3rd and other times he can't.

The 500GB Humax HDR-7500T costs a measly $265 with WiFi dongle included.
The 500GB T2 for $399 (WiFi dongle $59 extra) is actually quite a bargain for someone capable of operating it.
https://www.icetv.com.au/store/pvrs/
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

csutak40

Thank you very much, Dave
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,