Vera ‘Ghost Position’ repeat?

Started by prl, January 21, 2016, 04:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Surely Vera (2012) 'Ghost Position' ABC, Sun, Jan 24 20:30pm is a repeat?

I don't recall that episode from the synopsis on IMDB, but I'm pretty sure I've seen 'Sandancers', the last episode in the series (Series 2, 2012).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

IanL-S

Earlier series were first shown on 7 network; the repeated them all during the second half of 2015. Subsequent series were first shown on ABC. These earlier series are now being shown on ABC - Like the Sherlock episodes they are advertised as 'new to ABC' rather than new.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

Quote from: IanL-S on January 21, 2016, 05:25:23 PM
... advertised as 'new to ABC' rather than new. ...
::)

Do TV network PR folk really believe that we never watch any TV channels but their own?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on January 21, 2016, 05:55:29 PM
Quote from: IanL-S on January 21, 2016, 05:25:23 PM
... advertised as 'new to ABC' rather than new. ...
::)

Do TV network PR folk really believe that we never watch any TV channels but their own?

This proliferation of "new to ABC" is saying something to me about the control of quality content from our national broadcaster. As was pointed out over Christmas, anyone looking for anything new is going to be disappointed. However ABC is looking doubly desperate, repeating stuff already shown by the (don't mention the commercial channels}.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl

It's all too reminiscent of breathless 7TWO advertisements for the nth-time-round repeats of old UK crime series that make them sound like new programs without ever actually saying so.

But then Crawfords (Previously Crawford Productions) seems to think they can sell boxed DVD sets of Bluey and The Box.  ::)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

Is there any reason to think that Vera (2012) 'Silent Voices' 20:30 Sun 7 Feb, ABC isn't a repeat? IceTV has it marked as first run. So does the ABC guide, but I suspect that's in the "you surely never watch any other channels so we think we can get away with pretending it's not a repeat" sense.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

IanL-S

Yes, it should be listed as a repeat.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: IanL-S on February 05, 2016, 08:32:59 AM

Technically it is a repeat. Generally IceTV flag episodes as repeats if they have aired on any digital channel in that region before. But ABC only flag episodes as repeats if they have aired on ABC before. 

In this case, and future similar cases, we chose to not flag this episode as a repeat because:

- It has not been aired on the ABC before.
- Some other seasons were shown on the ABC.
- Anyone who has this series set to record only on the ABC would not have seen this episode.
- People who only watch or record ABC and SBS would never have seen it before.
- It is better for people to record an episode that they have already seen than to miss one they have not seen.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

simoncasey

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on February 05, 2016, 02:13:11 PM

Technically it is a repeat. Generally IceTV flag episodes as repeats if they have aired on any digital channel in that region before. But ABC only flag episodes as repeats if they have aired on ABC before. 

In this case, and future similar cases, we chose to not flag this episode as a repeat because:

- Anyone who has this series set to record only on the ABC would not have seen this episode.
- It is better for people to record an episode that they have already seen than to miss one they have not seen.

That sounds to me like a fundamental change in philosophy, and probably one that very few users whould agree to. Refer to the similar discussion relating to Sherlock where the opposite decision was made.

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on February 05, 2016, 02:13:11 PM

Yes, it is a repeat. You said so. About the only argument you cite for not flagging it as a repeat that I could see as new in my experience of IceTV would be "People who only watch or record ABC and SBS would never have seen it before." As far as I can make out such people would hardly have sufficient discrimination to tell one program from another, as long as it is aired on one or other of these channels.

Quote from: simoncasey on February 05, 2016, 02:56:01 PMThat sounds to me like a fundamental change in philosophy, and probably one that very few users whould agree to. Refer to the similar discussion relating to Sherlock where the opposite decision was made.

From what I recall I think simoncasey is right. Even if he weren't, I am in the camp of if it's been shown anywhere on FTA TV before, it is a repeat showing.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Tezza007

simoncasey

I still dont understand why repeats of Vera from a couple of years ago are flagged as first run because some people only watch ABC and SBS (and aren't able to set it to record repeats) and yet Jake and the Fatman, which hasn't been shown in over 20 years, is listed in coming soon and in recommendations but yet is flagged as a repeat.

It seems a fairly arbitrary decesion that has been made. Surely if a show has been broadcast before on FTA then it is a repeat.

Tezza007

Some silly decisions have been made

When I saw Jake ATFM in Coming Soon, I thought they'd remade it. Why I don't know, it was a bad show 29 years ago. IMDB confirmed it hadn't been remade, so what the hell is it doing in Coming Soon?