Missing recordings etc

Started by csutak40, January 10, 2016, 06:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

I have replied to Vortical in another thread, as I have the same problem he has.  I was going to repeat the post in Beyonwiz, but having thought about it, it makes more sense to write it here, as I am convinced now that the problem is IceTV not Toppy and/or Beyonwiz

I have been having all sorts of weird problems since IceTV Mark II came into operation.  As this happened to coincide with my acquisition of the Wiz, I wasn't sure what caused the problem.  However, Vortical has a Toppy....

I have written to IceTV each time a problem arose, but by the time/if they get back to me the problem is no longer there.  Not because it has been fixed (it is sure to reappear later) but because the date of the problem is now in the past.

I keep getting timers with no names, although I just checked, I only have one this time, and that is for the 18th, which I am surprised to even find a timer for already.
However, the missing timers are still an issue. (well, not sure if they are actually missing, or just don't record at the time – I certainly have two set for next week, and I am nearly sure that I had two set every time, including the times when only one ended up recording)  The last time I noticed that happening, it coincided with the random timer problem, so I presumed that the random timers prevented legitimate shows from recording. 

There has still not been any explanation forthcoming for those random timers.

However, I have no random timers this week, so that is not the reason (of course, I have no way of knowing if both Goldbergs will end up recording this week, also not sure if I had random timers last week).

Anyway, while I sympathise with the IceTV staff being overworked, I really do wish they would look into this.  If one has to sit there every day and carefully check all the timers, (Have all the shows set to record actually recorded?  Am I recording repeats?  Am I missing new/reoccurring shows?)  then one may as well set them manually (free of charge).  ::)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

simoncasey

What is your default padding before and after. Prl noticed a problem when that is very high as the BW can get confused as to the correct show.

prl

Quote from: simoncasey on January 10, 2016, 07:18:30 PM
What is your default padding before and after. Prl noticed a problem when that is very high as the BW can get confused as to the correct show.

That's when a timer is set on the Beyonwiz T series and sent to IceTV, not when IceTV sends the timer to the Beyonwiz.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Quote from: prl on January 10, 2016, 08:00:50 PM

That's when a timer is set on the Beyonwiz T series and sent to IceTV, not when IceTV sends the timer to the Beyonwiz.

I am confused.  I never set (well, haven't so far) recordings on the Wiz.  Just had a look, it is set for 2 & 20 on there, under settings.   Is that what you mean?
On IceTV (and for the life of me, I can't find the settings for that ATM)  I am sure it is 2 -30
Cheers,
Judy

prl

No need to be confused. I just dont thonk the problem simoncasey posted about is relevant to the problem you're  having.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

simoncasey

Quote from: prl on January 10, 2016, 08:00:50 PM

I was trying to rule out complications and was considering a scenario where icetv sends a timer to the BW and there is an issue with the timer being created at the wrong time (clock issue or issue from one of the transmitters) and icetv then sees it as a different timer and it gets sent back to icetv as a single timer and triggers further issues.

Judy gets lots of random timers which are probably not completely random but are triggered by something. The random timers seem to be single timers and not series timers so they may originate from the BW.

csutak40

Quote from: simoncasey on January 10, 2016, 09:25:18 PM

Judy gets lots of random timers which are probably not completely random but are triggered by something. The random timers seem to be single timers and not series timers so they may originate from the BW.

I don't think so (mind you, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing  ;D) all the random timers seem to only be show on IceTV only, not on the Wiz.  Although I did notice that their presence resulted in  some actual timers not being set around the same time
Cheers,
Judy

simoncasey

Actually, the clock thing might be an issue. I notice you watch C31 a lot. I wonder if you were getting your time from the transmitter and C31 were unreliable with the time that might cause the timers to get created at the wrong time. It would explain random timers, blank titles and misaligned meta data. It wouldn't just affect c31 but any timer that had been created after you had been watching c31.
Or it could also be a problem with your BW clock.

I see you have a t2 and a t4. Do you get the same problem in both?

csutak40

Quote from: simoncasey on January 10, 2016, 09:33:32 PM
Actually, the clock thing might be an issue. I notice you watch C31 a lot. I wonder if you were getting your time from the transmitter and C31 were unreliable with the time that might cause the timers to get created at the wrong time. It would explain random timers, blank titles and misaligned meta data. It wouldn't just affect c31 but any timer that had been created after you had been watching c31.

I actually  only record three shows from C31 (although they don't seem to always mark repeats, so one of them records itself two three times a week  :P)  It was possible to set TED to only record it on Mondays, but can't do that with IceTV  :'(

I have got a T2, yet to be connected  :-[  The way I plan to use it, I won't be recording much on it - it will be mostly used for networking purposes, will put a very small SSD drive in it.
Cheers,
Judy

simoncasey

Quote from: csutak40 on January 10, 2016, 10:38:20 PM
Quote from: simoncasey on January 10, 2016, 09:33:32 PM

I actually  only record three shows from C31 (although they don't seem to always mark repeats, so one of them records itself two three times a week  :P)  It was possible to set TED to only record it on Mondays, but can't do that with IceTV  :'(

I have got a T2, yet to be connected  :-[  The way I plan to use it, I won't be recording much on it - it will be mostly used for networking purposes, will put a very small SSD drive in it.

Do you ever see a problem with your clock? I'm trying to see if there is anything different with your setup that would trigger a problem. I know you are in Melbourne, as am I, but I never watch c31 so that is a difference. And, quite a few of your past issues seem to relate to recordings that are out by an hour.

prl

The name on an IceTV recording should be set directly by the timer message from IceTV. It shouldn't matter what's in the EPG or whether the PVR's clock is set correctly or not.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

simoncasey

Quote from: prl on January 10, 2016, 11:27:28 PM
The name on an IceTV recording should be set directly by the timer message from IceTV. It shouldn't matter what's in the EPG or whether the PVR's clock is set correctly or not.

I wasn't thinking about what should happen but consider blank titled timers. If they were sent an hour out, they could get allocated the wrong title by the BW and then get sent back to icetv and appear as random recordings. Or they could have the right title and get subsequently resent by icetv with the correct time so there are duplicates an hour apart (I think this happened with the Hungarian news a few weeks back) or the timer gets allocated the wrong description (ie from an hour earlier) but icetv updates the timer correctly so it appears ok but has the wrong description. There just seems to be a lot of issues where the errors are out by an hour. To me that suggests time zone, daylight saving or very long padding. It seems odd to just be an icetv issue as we are both in Melbourne and I see nothing like Judy's issues.

csutak40

Quote from: simoncasey on January 10, 2016, 11:19:49 PM

Do you ever see a problem with your clock? I'm trying to see if there is anything different with your setup that would trigger a problem. I know you are in Melbourne, as am I, but I never watch c31 so that is a difference. And, quite a few of your past issues seem to relate to recordings that are out by an hour.

No, i have never seen  a problem with the time.  The only time I was out by an hour was around the new year, when lots of other people had that same problem, and if I remember rightly, Daniel found the cause and fixed it.  That fixed most of the problems but some of the errors created by it being an hour out didn't fix themselves automatically, whereas others did.  That is when the random timers in IceTV started appearing too

However, you are right, quite a few of my problems were caused by C31, but I have no idea why.  The first thing that happened was that it disabled itself, so I replaced the tick, which sent everything berserk, creating lots (and I mean LOTS) of random timers (not all on C31),  which were setting up timers on the Wiz and caused the arrival of hundreds of emails, warning me of clashes.  I had to delete them all manually one by one.

Dave did something (not sure what) and told me that he has reinstated C31, but it still wasn't ticked and I wasn't game to tick it again.  It took a couple of weeks for Dave to get back to me to assure me that it was now safe to tick it, so I did so.  That didn't seem to create any obvious problems that time.
The one hour problem and the random timers (which now don't seem to create timers on the Wiz) happened after that, but not immediately
Cheers,
Judy

csutak40

[quote sauthor=simoncasey link=topic=4918.msg26007#msg26007 date=1452431600]

[/quote]

I wasn't thinking about what should happen but consider blank titled timers. If they were sent an hour out, they could get allocated the wrong title by the BW and then get sent back to icetv and appear as random recordings. Or they could have the right title and get subsequently resent by icetv with the correct time so there are duplicates an hour apart (I think this happened with the Hungarian news a few weeks back) or the timer gets allocated the wrong description (ie from an hour earlier) but icetv updates the timer correctly so it appears ok but has the wrong description. There just seems to be a lot of issues where the errors are out by an hour. To me that suggests time zone, daylight saving or very long padding. It seems odd to just be an icetv issue as we are both in Melbourne and I see nothing like Judy's issues.
[/quote]

Yes, I did get doubled up recordings.  It had all to do with that hour problem I talked about above and the fact that some of the timers didn't correct themselves, so, you are right, the incorrect timer remained and a new correct one was created as well.  And yes, if I remember rightly around that time there was a random timer on IceTV for a different channel.  As I said, those random timers never got sent to the Wiz

What ever that was about, I don't have any random timers ATM (knock on wood :P)
Cheers,
Judy