Missing recordings

Started by Vortical, January 10, 2016, 04:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simoncasey

Quote from: prl on January 15, 2016, 06:51:27 PM
Quote from: csutak40 on January 15, 2016, 06:31:28 PM
... This brings me to an OT question.  Can one edit the ts files (and save the edited version as ts again) to remove padding, ads etc?

Yes. The initial editing just creates a list of "leave this bit out on playback" instructions. That doesn't recover any space, but there's a pre-loaded plugin that can apply the edit list and cut the file size down.

See Movie Player (MEDIA from live TV), then MENU>Cut-list editor... and MENU>Execute cuts...

I don't think the editor allows you to cut out to a new file (as the old DP series editor did), so if you want to cut two episodes in one recording into two separate recordings, you have to make a copy first, then delete the bits you don't want in the two copies.

Bu it's all good for just removing padding and ads.

Quote from: csutak40 on January 15, 2016, 06:31:28 PMWould that damage anything?

I don't think so. I haven't heard any reports of it breaking.

The cutset editor is a bit clunky to use. You can get into a loop if you create the wrong cut point and then can't get back to it to delete or edit it. But it works ok usually.
When you execute the cuts, you get the choice of overwriting the file or creating a new copy.

csutak40

Quote from: prl on January 15, 2016, 06:51:27 PM

Yes. The initial editing just creates a list of "leave this bit out on playback" instructions. That doesn't recover any space, but there's a pre-loaded plugin that can apply the edit list and cut the file size down.

See Movie Player (MEDIA from live TV), then MENU>Cut-list editor... and MENU>Execute cuts...

I don't think the editor allows you to cut out to a new file (as the old DP series editor did), so if you want to cut two episodes in one recording into two separate recordings, you have to make a copy first, then delete the bits you don't want in the two copies.

Bu it's all good for just removing padding and ads.

Quote from: csutak40 on January 15, 2016, 06:31:28 PMWould that damage anything?

I don't think so. I haven't heard any reports of it breaking.

I think we're talking about two different things.  I'm yet to RTFM, or study the Forum. :-[  Lots of great excuses that I'm sure you're not interested in.   :P Hence, know nothing about the ability to edit within the Wiz.  I have been fiddling on my computer, with VideoReDo (which, I discovered, CAN save ts)  I had a quick experiment with this show (as I had to play it anyway to confirm that I had both episodes) - only removed the padding, not the commercials, and saved 660 odd mb, but wasn't game to replace the file on the wiz, in case it brakes something :-)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

Vortical

Unfortunately I'm not continuing with IceTV after going through a lot of my old shows there has just been too many recordings where the show I wanted to record was not recorded so in essence this ruins numerous series for me, pretty much all of them were due to scheduling changes that seem to either not be picked up by icetv at all or until it's too late and the pvr can't update the timer properly.

In most situations the start of the shows were right at the end of the recordings that were a minimum of 1 hour long  :o >:(

I'm also sure there are many shows with incorrect repeat tags that don't get picked up or picked up too late also.

Not sure if it's just suddenly my bad luck but it's just not good enough anymore for me.

Sadly I'm just gonna go back to the old tv guide with the paper and yourtv.com.au for a double check.  :'(

Perhaps when the service becomes what it used to be with almost zero problems I'll return but until then I'm not going to pay $8 a month for something I have to repeatedly keep an eye on.  :-\

IanL-S

You could try using SmartEPG TMS TAP. While it cannot pick of repeats (except if it is in the database it creates of programs it has recorded). I use it on my back-up Toppys and it is quite reliable. You can also adjust the pre and post padding for individual timers.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Vortical

Quote from: IanL-S on February 19, 2016, 12:59:06 PM
You could try using SmartEPG TMS TAP. While it cannot pick of repeats (except if it is in the database it creates of programs it has recorded). I use it on my back-up Toppys and it is quite reliable. You can also adjust the pre and post padding for individual timers.

Ian
After some further thought I'll probably barely even bother with FTA TV anymore. I have hardly any time these days to mess around with setting and checking timers that IceTV used to be rock solid with.

Nowadays I mostly just watch Stan. & Netflix hence why I had a huge backlog of old recordings going back around 6 months into last year, every now and then I'd binge watch a few episodes and I'd reach a point where the programming became eratic and some (not all) shows were missed as outlined in my post above.

My wife can live with just her Bold & the Beautiful and Neighbours which are both available via TenPlay, so perhaps the PVR's can be retired.

Also I received an email directly from Colin O'Brien today essentially stating that things were expected to improve in the next few weeks, but I think I'll leave it for 6-12 months then see how I feel about whether I can live with or without IceTV

Thanks to all the numerous hardworking IceTV staff that I chatted with and helped me throughout the years I've been with IceTV your efforts are greatly appreciated.
And also a big thanks to all the helpful forum members who make this forum a truly great place to come to whether the problem is big or small.

So long and thanks for all the fish  ;D