Coming Soon Useless

Started by Tezza007, December 13, 2015, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezza007

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on December 18, 2015, 07:17:34 PM
Quote from: Rowdy on December 18, 2015, 06:01:19 PM
Why should Coming Soon be restricted to new shows?

Surely it is an indication of upcoming shows which some of us may not have seen yet.

Exactly. All this complaining about repeats being listed in coming soon is missing the purpose of the coming soon section. It is not "New Shows Coming Soon". It is for listing popular or interesting old and new shows that are airing soon and are worthy of a mention.
You've just made it more useless than ever

simoncasey

Quote from: Tezza007 on December 19, 2015, 12:12:18 AM
Quote from: Dave at IceTV on December 18, 2015, 07:17:34 PM
Quote from: Rowdy on December 18, 2015, 06:01:19 PM
Why should Coming Soon be restricted to new shows?

Surely it is an indication of upcoming shows which some of us may not have seen yet.

Exactly. All this complaining about repeats being listed in coming soon is missing the purpose of the coming soon section. It is not "New Shows Coming Soon". It is for listing popular or interesting old and new shows that are airing soon and are worthy of a mention.
You've just made it more useless than ever

I'm not sure I quite agree with Tezza but I do find that the reality of what we have in coming soon doesn't really reflect the intention that Dave describes.

At the moment, approximately half of the shows are repeats, and almost all are reality/lifestyle shows, being shown at in the early morning or daytime. I know that reflects what is on but it has missed a lot of high quality shows (eg The Fall) that are on primetime. And why all the reality shows, there's loads of British detective shows that are being rerun and never get a mention even though if you look at what's popular with IceTV customers, that would be a good thing to list.

I also have an issue with the ones shown as Coming soon with no date. Apart from one or two, those shows have already started and some started in November.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: simoncasey on December 19, 2015, 08:06:18 AM
I'm not sure I quite agree with Tezza but I do find that the reality of what we have in coming soon doesn't really reflect the intention that Dave describes.

At the moment, approximately half of the shows are repeats, and almost all are reality/lifestyle shows, being shown at in the early morning or daytime. I know that reflects what is on but it has missed a lot of high quality shows (eg The Fall) that are on primetime. And why all the reality shows, there's loads of British detective shows that are being rerun and never get a mention even though if you look at what's popular with IceTV customers, that would be a good thing to list.

I personally don't feel that midnight, early morning or daytime shows should get listed - unless they are big sporting events. But someone who watches popular daytime soaps might disagree.

Again, I personally don't feel that reality/lifestyle shows rate a mention ever 8)  But someone who watches reality/lifestyle shows might disagree.

I also have an issue with the ones shown as Coming soon with no date. Apart from one or two, those shows have already started and some started in November.

Agreed. Once we know their start date that date should be inserted, before the show airs. And weekly shows that started more than 15 days ago should get removed from the list regularly.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Tezza007

So I'll just have to continue to plow through the guide every day to look for the REAL new/returning first-run shows

simoncasey

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on December 19, 2015, 11:39:30 AM

I personally don't feel that midnight, early morning or daytime shows should get listed - unless they are big sporting events. But someone who watches popular daytime soaps might disagree.

Again, I personally don't feel that reality/lifestyle shows rate a mention ever 8)  But someone who watches reality/lifestyle shows might disagree.

It's a matter of balance rather than personal choice. Currently there is too much emphasis on daytime repeats of lifestyle shows and not enough on first run primetime drama etc. Man cannot live by bread alone, even if it is brioche.

simoncasey

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on December 19, 2015, 11:39:30 AM

Agreed. Once we know their start date that date should be inserted, before the show airs. And weekly shows that started more than 15 days ago should get removed from the list regularly.
Yes. We all know this and continue to point it out / complain about it.

prl

We never stopped using the newspaper guide, especially the "coming up this week" part of the guide, as an additional source of information about upcoming shows.

While I don't agree with some of the complaints about "Coming Soon", it does seem to be being updated less often and less accurately than it previously was.

"Recommendations" in my Android app has been showing only a single show ("The Embassy") for several days, even though it's a series that started on 30 Nov, and which, according to the Canberra IceGuide, isn't on this coming week.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

simoncasey

Quote from: prl on December 19, 2015, 12:07:41 PM
We never stopped using the newspaper guide, especially the "coming up this week" part of the guide, as an additional source of information about upcoming shows.

While I don't agree with some of the complaints about "Coming Soon", it does seem to be being updated less often and less accurately than it previously was.

"Recommendations" in my Android app has been showing only a single show ("The Embassy") for several days, even though it's a series that started on 30 Nov, and which, according to the Canberra IceGuide, isn't on this coming week.
Have you tried flicking left/right in the recommendations, I have fallen for that in the iOS app.

Mine is current for last week. Mekong river last Tuesday and rabbit proof fence tomorrow.

prl

Quote from: simoncasey on December 19, 2015, 12:09:51 PM
Have you tried flicking left/right in the recommendations, I have fallen for that in the iOS app.

Yes, I have. I've been using the Android app since it came out, and Recommendations used to be quite useful.

Quote from: simoncasey on December 19, 2015, 12:09:51 PM
Mine is current for last week. Mekong river last Tuesday and rabbit proof fence tomorrow.

Mine is still doggedly stuck showing only "The Embassy". I've synched at least three times today, and it's still like that. Maybe it's a regional thing. Out in the boondocks of the nation's capital, and all that ;)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

simoncasey

I do have the embassy for last Monday. Plus Mekong river and dateline Tuesday and then rabbit proof fence on Sunday. So maybe it is regionally based and you only get political based recommendations in Canberra.

prl

The Mekong River isn't political?  :o

And yes, I know who the presenter is, and she has actually touched on some of the politics, especially the effects of planned hydro schemes on the lower parts of the river.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

simoncasey

Quote from: prl on December 19, 2015, 02:01:51 PM
The Mekong River isn't political?  :o

And yes, I know who the presenter is, and she has actually touched on some of the politics, especially the effects of planned hydro schemes on the lower parts of the river.

And that great British bake off gets very political too ;D

raymondjpg

My two penn'orth

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on December 18, 2015, 07:17:34 PMComing Soon has always listed "new shows and returning shows". It is not just for new shows.

OK, fine.

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on December 18, 2015, 07:17:34 PMA highly acclaimed movie from the '60s can be included regardless of whether it's been on before or not.

I don't think so. It looks to me like most of the week is taken up with repeats of what has gone before, some of which may have been highly acclaimed. I would prefer to see what is upcoming that hasn't been seen over and over again.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Tezza007

Quote from: raymondjpg on December 19, 2015, 03:18:28 PM
I would prefer to see what is upcoming that hasn't been seen over and over again.

+1

One of the main reasons for using IceTV, avoiding old shit and repeats

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: prl on December 19, 2015, 01:54:10 PM
Mine is still doggedly stuck showing only "The Embassy". I've synched at least three times today, and it's still like that. Maybe it's a regional thing. Out in the boondocks of the nation's capital, and all that ;)

Not a regional thing as 'Coming Soon' on the website lists all the expected shows with the region is set to your region. I think you've broken the app  :)

Try 'Clear Data' and 'Clear Cache' from the Android device's "Settings > Apps > Downloaded" menu.

Or try uninstalling the Android app then downloading it again.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service