Coming Soon Useless

Started by Tezza007, December 13, 2015, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjpg

Quote from: simoncasey on December 23, 2015, 07:07:47 PMI still miss Xmas in England when we bought the double edition of Radio Times and planned all the 2 weeks TV, what I would have to watch and what would be taped (only 3 channels made it easier but still had to miss some stuff). Xmas was the best time of the year for TV, but you couldn't go outside...

The difference is in the climate. Winter in England and much of the US is confined to indoors, so Xmas TV should be better. Not that I recall anything much beyond carols from Kings and a raft of old movies mostly with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. I always thought that Forbrydelsen went on forever because the Danes had little else to do at that time of year but watch TV, until a power outage of course...
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

simoncasey

Quote from: raymondjpg on December 23, 2015, 09:01:24 PM
Quote from: simoncasey on December 23, 2015, 07:07:47 PMI still miss Xmas in England when we bought the double edition of Radio Times and planned all the 2 weeks TV, what I would have to watch and what would be taped (only 3 channels made it easier but still had to miss some stuff). Xmas was the best time of the year for TV, but you couldn't go outside...

The difference is in the climate. Winter in England and much of the US is confined to indoors, so Xmas TV should be better. Not that I recall anything much beyond carols from Kings and a raft of old movies mostly with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. I always thought that Forbrydelsen went on forever because the Danes had little else to do at that time of year but watch TV, until a power outage of course...
Yes, the two Xmases are very different and I don't normally compare, but in the last 20 years I've only had one winter Xmas.

And the ratings closedown doesn't help much either.

Tezza007

Quote from: simoncasey on December 23, 2015, 04:35:52 PM
Then maybe we would all be happier if there were two sections in "Coming Soon" - Old S%$# and New S%$#.

I don't want the old stuff. I think the only time a repeat is worth listing is if it hasn't been on for 10/15 plus years or before digital TV. I don't think domestic blitz from 2 years ago should be flagged as coming soon. My comments where more about rubbish vs quality being very subjective.[/quote]
Then you must be thrilled with Sex And The City being listed in Coming Soon. Only 18 years old

I did a bit of a search and found 44 new series and 70 returning series. It wasn't hard so I think they could be doing a hell of a lot better than they currently are

simoncasey

Quote from: Tezza007 on December 23, 2015, 09:16:12 PM
Quote from: simoncasey on December 23, 2015, 04:35:52 PM
I don't want the old stuff. I think the only time a repeat is worth listing is if it hasn't been on for 10/15 plus years or before digital TV. I don't think domestic blitz from 2 years ago should be flagged as coming soon. My comments where more about rubbish vs quality being very subjective.
Then you must be thrilled with Sex And The City being listed in Coming Soon. Only 18 years old

My point was "if it hasn't been on for 10/15 plus years", not if it has been repeated every year for the last 10/15 years. So Sex in the City repeats shouldn't be listed but I'd be happy it they listed the upcoming repeats of Prime Suspect.

Tezza007

Something like Prime Suspect you already know about and can be easily automatically recorded if you want it without having to do anything
I still think Coming soon should be new shows, stuff we don't already know about and might very well miss if it's not pointed out

simoncasey

Quote from: Tezza007 on December 23, 2015, 10:34:29 PM
Something like Prime Suspect you already know about and can be easily automatically recorded if you want it without having to do anything
I still think Coming soon should be new shows, stuff we don't already know about and might very well miss if it's not pointed out
How would we know about Prime Suspect being rerun and how would I automatically record it?

csutak40

Quote from: simoncasey on December 23, 2015, 10:39:28 PM
How would we know about Prime Suspect being rerun and how would I automatically record it?
Well, I suppose if you set up a timer for  it when it was on and didn't set it "first runs only" then it would record every time it came back on
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

simoncasey

Quote from: csutak40 on December 23, 2015, 10:53:47 PM
Quote from: simoncasey on December 23, 2015, 10:39:28 PM
Well, I suppose if you set up a timer for  it when it was on and didn't set it "first runs only" then it would record every time it came back on

I don't think icetv existed when Prime Suspect was last on, I certainly didn't have a pvr. But what you mention is my point. I don't want to see repeats of shows in coming soon that if I wanted to watch then I probably already had series recordings for (as per Tezza's Sex in the City example, if I wanted to record that). But if it's been so long since it's been on that I wouldn't have a series recording, then I think there would be people who would want to know that is was being rerun.

Tezza007

So we'd end up with a list full of old repeats rather than new shows

You can set recordings for any old shows you can think of. They don't need to be on now

Good to see they've finally added about 5 of the 40+ new shows already announced by the networks

simoncasey

Quote from: Tezza007 on December 24, 2015, 10:59:50 AM
So we'd end up with a list full of old repeats rather than new shows
No, it doesn't have to be one or the other. We get a list of shows that are coming soon that people are interested in, which is either new shows or reruns of shows that we wont have already had series recordings for.

Quote from: Tezza007 on December 24, 2015, 10:59:50 AMYou can set recordings for any old shows you can think of. They don't need to be on now
No you can't. Only if it has been in IceTV and still exists as a series recording, which isn't the case for old shows being rerun. You would have to set up complicated keyword searches. And why would I set up a series recording for any old show I can think of, that would be hundreds of shows. It would be better if a rerun of an old classic show that hasn't been on for many years would be flagged as coming soon.

Quote from: Tezza007 on December 24, 2015, 10:59:50 AM
Good to see they've finally added about 5 of the 40+ new shows already announced by the networks
It's reasonable that shows get added once there is an idea of what channel they will be on rather than coming sometime in 2016. But, I agree there could be more.

Tezza007

Set new preference is quite simple

The 40+ new shows are already announced by the networks, so we know what channels they're on.
Many of those in Coming soon don't have a channel. it doesn't matter, they can still be set up to record

simoncasey

Quote from: Tezza007 on December 24, 2015, 03:00:43 PM
Set new preference is quite simple

So you are suggesting that I go through all of the classic TV shows from the first 30 years of my life and add a series record preference for each one on the off chance they might get rerun and that's simple?

Anyway, I'm with you ie the epg could be better and repeats of shows from last year dominating the list when new shows don't appear is frustrating but there are lots of viewers who are enjoying reruns of shows that haven't been seen for many years and I thinking is valid that they appear in coming soon.

Tezza007

5 minutes a day and you'd be finished in a week.

simoncasey

Quote from: Tezza007 on December 24, 2015, 03:47:00 PM
5 minutes a day and you'd be finished in a week.

I think we're talking at cross purposes. I don't see how I could compile a list of hundreds of classic shows and set them up in 35 minutes, it would take months to do it and only 1% of it would ever be used.

simoncasey

Whilst all this discussion has been going on, the icetv people seem to have tidied coming soon I to a reasonably useful state for the next few weeks.