Coming Soon Useless

Started by Tezza007, December 13, 2015, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjpg

Quote from: Paul55 on December 22, 2015, 02:10:43 PMI may be in the minority, but my main priority is the EPG being as accurate as possible. I don't think this task is as easy as many assume and hopefully, the recent disruptions will soon be behind us.

I don't know that you are, but I am already on record as saying that I regard Coming Soon (or New Shows rebadged) and What's On This Week as being as important to me as a subscriber as an accurate EPG and I don't think I am alone in that. Let's just say that we would all like to have as accurate and up-to-date an EPG as possible and intelligent advice as to what's upcoming on the TV.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Tezza007

Quote from: prl on December 22, 2015, 12:03:06 PM
Quote from: Tezza007 on December 22, 2015, 11:53:02 AM
... People are posting, but it's being ignored
Two people have posted new content there in the last three weeks, both of them today.
People have been posting new stuff since 6 weeks ago - all ignored, while they post the 18 year old Sex and The City to Coming Soon

I think I need a break, they're really starting to get to me

simoncasey

How is Blindspot on the list?

Tezza007

simoncasey

Quote from: Tezza007 on December 22, 2015, 08:49:06 PM
A new or returning show?
Neither. We're just about the finish the first series, it's been on every week for the last 2 or 3 months.

Tezza007

OK. I'm only up to the 7th of May  ::)

Mac37

Blindspot still has a yellow star (new show) in the main guide !?!
Mac
Beyonwiz T2 X 2
IceTV Interactive EPG - HDMI to   Linden TV 65

simoncasey

Quote from: mac37 on December 23, 2015, 10:26:05 AM
Blindspot still has a yellow star (new show) in the main guide !?!

It's not actually "still", it was added back in the last couple of days.

csutak40

I've slept on this.  :-X We all know that this time of year there isn't much to watch, there isn't even much "coming soon". 

I think the trouble is that IceTV is going for quantity instead of quality.

The list is so long, full of rubbish that, should there be something there worth noting, I'll probably miss it
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

simoncasey

Actually, I happier with the longer list. What people want to record is subjective, what one person thinks is rubbish, another person will watch repeats of. I don't think coming soon should be overly curated to just have a subjective list of what's good.

My concern has always been the balance between what was on there vs what was being missed. If the price of including the shows that I want to record is that it also has to record what others want to record, then that's ok with me.

There is also a recommendations section that could be better used to highlight "good" shows.

raymondjpg

Quote from: simoncasey on December 23, 2015, 01:00:04 PM
Actually, I happier with the longer list. What people want to record is subjective, what one person thinks is rubbish, another person will watch repeats of. I don't think coming soon should be overly curated to just have a subjective list of what's good.

My concern has always been the balance between what was on there vs what was being missed. If the price of including the shows that I want to record is that it also has to record what others want to record, then that's ok with me.

There is also a recommendations section that could be better used to highlight "good" shows.

Then maybe we would all be happier if there were two sections in "Coming Soon" - Old S%$# and New S%$#.

Can you point me to where I can find the "recommendations section"? I can find Most Popular, and I don't use smart phone apps.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

simoncasey

Quote from: raymondjpg on December 23, 2015, 04:22:06 PM
Quote from: simoncasey on December 23, 2015, 01:00:04 PM

Then maybe we would all be happier if there were two sections in "Coming Soon" - Old S%$# and New S%$#.

Can you point me to where I can find the "recommendations section"? I can find Most Popular, and I don't use smart phone apps.

I don't want the old stuff. I think the only time a repeat is worth listing is if it hasn't been on for 10/15 plus years or before digital TV. I don't think domestic blitz from 2 years ago should be flagged as coming soon. My comments where more about rubbish vs quality being very subjective.

I don't use the website so ice no idea where it is. This week's What's On email was basically the same as the recommendations for this week.

prl

Quote from: raymondjpg on December 23, 2015, 04:22:06 PM
"Recommendations" is only in the app. Previously it overlapped with, but often wasn't identical with, the What's on this Week(end) emails. The most recent one was exactly the same as the corresponding What's on this Week email.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on December 23, 2015, 12:52:13 PM
... We all know that this time of year there isn't much to watch, there isn't even much "coming soon".  ...

Quote... if you're turning to Christmas-week television for something new, you're beyond help.
Ben Pobjie, Canberra Times TV Guide, 23/12/15.

:D
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

simoncasey

Quote from: prl on December 23, 2015, 06:10:11 PM
Quote from: csutak40 on December 23, 2015, 12:52:13 PM
... We all know that this time of year there isn't much to watch, there isn't even much "coming soon".  ...

Quote... if you're turning to Christmas-week television for something new, you're beyond help.
Ben Pobjie, Canberra Times TV Guide, 23/12/15.

:D

I still miss Xmas in England when we bought the double edition of Radio Times and planned all the 2 weeks TV, what I would have to watch and what would be taped (only 3 channels made it easier but still had to miss some stuff). Xmas was the best time of the year for TV, but you couldn't go outside...