ABCHD Paralympic broadcasts not in the EPG?

Started by j s, September 09, 2008, 09:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j s

The ABC is broadcasting on ABCHD the HD versions of both their live ABC2 and highlight ABC1 Paralympic programs.

As scheduled these programs don't overlap but if the the live ABC2 live program gets extended (both nights so far) the live ABC2 programming has taken precedence on ABCHD.

Any chance of the ABCHD EPG showing these sessions so that a series can be set up?

The Opening Ceremony was on ABC HD so I assume the closing Ceremony will be also.

tonymy01

It was pretty stunning too (picture quality wise) due I guess in part to the 720p rather than 1080i of Seven, certainly had less MPEG blocking artifacts.
I notice my yahoo widget is void of any ABCHD info (I don't mind only seeing the HD stuff there, but a lot of the Paralympics is of course HD, thanks ABC for giving us this in HD... as ABC2 quality is pretty "average" generally).
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on September 09, 2008, 11:23:47 AM
It was pretty stunning too (picture quality wise) due I guess in part to the 720p rather than 1080i of Seven, certainly had less MPEG blocking artifacts.
The decoded pixel rate of 720p (720*1280*50 pixel/sec = 46Mpixel/sec) is nearly 90% of the decoded pixel rate for 1080i (1080*1920*25 pixel/sec = 51.8Mpixel/sec). It should also be free of any interlace/deinterlace artifacts, provided the camera is progressive.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

j s

Quote from: prl on September 09, 2008, 01:22:21 PM
Quote from: tonymy01 on September 09, 2008, 11:23:47 AM
The decoded pixel rate of 720p (720*1280*50 pixel/sec = 46Mpixel/sec) is nearly 90% of the decoded pixel rate for 1080i (1080*1920*25 pixel/sec = 51.8Mpixel/sec). It should also be free of any interlace/deinterlace artifacts, provided the camera is progressive.
One would hope that all the cameras and production equipment are 1080p/50

Looks like by the time Ice responds (or even reads) this the Paralympics will be over

tonymy01

As far as I am aware, from the 7 olympics when people were discussing the cameras they were 1080i50 (better for fast movement) than 1080p25.  I don't think they would be 1080p50 but you never know.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

j s

It's now obvious that Ice no longer reads this forum. Either that or they don't even have the courtesy to say "no".

j s

Is there any valid reason why this request was just ignored? It seemed simple enough.

Kirben

I don't see how you can blame IceTV for this issue, considering the ABC doesn't provide any TV guide for their ABC HD channel.

The ABC plan a separate TV guide for their ABC HD in the future though, hopefully it won't be much longer.

j s

Quote from: Kirben on October 03, 2008, 11:03:16 PM
I don't see how you can blame IceTV for this issue, considering the ABC doesn't provide any TV guide for their ABC HD channel.

The ABC plan a separate TV guide for their ABC HD in the future though, hopefully it won't be much longer.
Is the ABC also to blame for Ice not responding in any way to the request?  Despite the legel issues Ice seems to be able to get C9 right for the most part.

The ABC was extensively advertising that the Paralympics would be in High Definition and was doing this for some weeks before the games started.

It was pretty obvious that Ice wasn't even reading this forum during that period and, as this forum is explicitly intended to be means of letting them know about guide failings this does seem to be somewhat negligent of them.

Kirben

Quote from: j s on October 05, 2008, 12:32:12 AM
Despite the legel issues Ice seems to be able to get C9 right for the most part.

Actually the TV guides for Nine/NineHD are still quite incomplete, especially in terms of infrequent shows and movies.

The ABC was extensively advertising that the Paralympics would be in High Definition and was doing this for some weeks before the games started.

The TV Guides for the ABC1/ABC2 channels, are based on details provided by the ABC. So you should send complaints to the ABC, there are several related threads on the Have Your Say section of their web site.

It was pretty obvious that Ice wasn't even reading this forum during that period and, as this forum is explicitly intended to be means of letting them know about guide failings this does seem to be somewhat negligent of them.

The answer would have been the same, even if IceTV responded at the time.

j s

Quote from: Kirben on October 05, 2008, 12:49:40 AM

The answer would have been the same, even if IceTV responded at the time.

So why didn't Ice respond in a timely manner? Or at all? Do you speak for Ice?

Kirben

Quote from: j s on October 05, 2008, 10:11:21 AM
Do you speak for Ice?

No, just passing along information previously mentioned in these forums.