EPG has gone berserk?

Started by csutak40, November 23, 2015, 09:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

I am not sure if it is me, IceTV or Beyonwiz, but something has gone crazy.  Firstly the T4 has crashed, needed to be rebooted 3 times before it came back to life.  I have been out all day today, so not sure what came first, the chicken or the egg..
I noticed that the T4 seems to have recorded everything before it crashed (which seems to have happened about lunchtime)  when  it finally came back to life after I rebooted it, it continued to record everything...  (most of them have 0KB size though) So, I had a look on the IceTV page and sure enough, everything is set to record...  It definitely wasn't like that yesterday, as I looked at it yesterday.
So, I don't know if Beyonwiz crashed because it couldn't cope with all the recordings, or somehow IceTV has gone berserk? Not sure what's at fault, so not sure whom to complain to?  Or, could it be the way I set up some of my keywords (I still can't figure that out!)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

raymondjpg

Quote from: csutak40 on November 23, 2015, 09:31:19 PM
I am not sure if it is me, IceTV or Beyonwiz, but something has gone crazy.  Firstly the T4 has crashed, needed to be rebooted 3 times before it came back to life.  I have been out all day today, so not sure what came first, the chicken or the egg..
I noticed that the T4 seems to have recorded everything before it crashed (which seems to have happened about lunchtime)  when  it finally came back to life after I rebooted it, it continued to record everything...  (most of them have 0KB size though) So, I had a look on the IceTV page and sure enough, everything is set to record...  It definitely wasn't like that yesterday, as I looked at it yesterday.
So, I don't know if Beyonwiz crashed because it couldn't cope with all the recordings, or somehow IceTV has gone berserk? Not sure what's at fault, so not sure whom to complain to?  Or, could it be the way I set up some of my keywords (I still can't figure that out!)

From your description it is difficult to know what happened exactly. It looks like a combination of things.

First, the crash. There were reports of crashes of T3s associated with IceTV but some at least of these were reported to be resolved with new firmware. There are also suggestions that some "bad" IceTV data (possibly EPG data) might have been responsible for crashes.

I don't see the number of recordings or how you set up your keywords could be responsible, but as the Beyonwiz T series is still in relative infancy I could not rule anything out.

My guess for the 0KB size recordings is because of the resumption of recording after the crash. Why, I don't know. Maybe someone who has experience with this can throw some light on it.

What I suggest you do is make sure the T4 is always in standby, not deep standby. Do not set options that put the T4 into deep standby, at least until the firmware is a little more mature. This may not solve your problems, but it could eliminate one or more causes.

Also, when you have your IceTV EPG and timers up to date, check your timer list to see if any are showing errors possibly because of too many timers. I haven't seen that myself because I don't usually set many timers.

I recommend a visit to the Beyonwiz forums where you will find a whole section on the T series, and very helpful people including those who are developing the firmware and plugins.

Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

There has been some 'bad data' issues with ABC LCN 22 with chararacters that cause some PVRs (notably the TF7100HDPVRt) to go into meltdown. This should have been fixed by now. This may also be causing issues with you Beyonwiz.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

simoncasey

Quote from: csutak40 on November 23, 2015, 09:31:19 PM

If you think this might be a beyonwiz problem, you should post it on the beyonwiz forum to see if other users have seen it. There may be others who have had a similar problem who don't use icetv who could assist or could rule out icetv as the cause.

csutak40

Well, seems it was at least partly my fault.  Late last night (hours after they were sent!) I received twelve failed recording notices.  I just checked, got another 15 since.
The original notices referred to a keyword search I set up.  I was attempting to avoid timers that were for bitesize shows (see post above) so, silly me, set up one called -bitesize.  As I said, I really don't know how to set these up...  BIG mistake!  I don't quite understand why that caused all these recordings to happen (I can't see the word bitesize in most of them).  However, when I saw all these recordings, the first thing I did was to try to remember if I fiddled with the timers or not.  I remembered that the only thing I changed was to set this one timer up, so I immediately deleted it - in the hopes that if that is what caused the problem, deleting it will fix it.  Nothing changed.
I sent a ticket to IceTV (before I got the dozen emails)  I then proceeded to manually delete all these timers.  Turned out to be an utter pain, and eventually discovered that it is much quicker on the Iphone (but still a pain)  So, I only deleted them for today, in the hopes that IceTV will figure it out for me.
When I got the emails, I wrote to them to explain that it seems the culprit was my little -bitesize keyword. 
I have not received a reply so far, so I guess I will have to now sit here and delete tomorrow's timers (take that back, just received one, no solution I'm  afraid. :'(  Dave says: "Deleting the keyword normally cancels all of the recordings but they stay listed in My Week until the Beyonwiz reports back that they gone."  So, looks like I have a few fun hours ahead of me, deleting them all manually.
As for settings etc for the T4.  I have had lots of stuff going on, just haven't had the time.  I have read about standby, and deep standby, but yet to figure out how to tell the difference.  Just haven't had time to study the manual, let alone read the pages and pages of Forum posts.  FWIW, I haven't actually changed any settings, about the only things I've done is set up IceTV and install the new firmware.
I downloaded a couple of interesting sounding plug-ins - yet to install them.
Cheers,
Judy

Dave at IceTV

Hi Judy,

We've fixed your broken keyword and the other keywords.

I cannot even open you're My Week page as it freezes my browser. You have 395 series setup to record! And 1445 recordings for the next 7 days!

Note: The following will only clear the mess out of your account. You will still have any already set timers on the Beyonwiz.

At this point the best option is to delete the T4 device from your account which will delete all series and single recordings linked to that device. Then add the device back.

Device Name: Beyonwiz T4
Device Type: Beyonwiz T3

If you want to save any of your series settings, edit them to record on the Win7 device. Then after deleting and recreating the Beyonwiz edit those shows to record on the Beyonwiz again.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

csutak40

Thanks very much, Dave.  I have been sitting here deleting stuff off the iPhone (which at least doesn't freeze) but I'm now going to bed, don't feel great.  I have two separate doctor's appointments tomorrow, so can exorcise my deleting finger instead of reading a magazine in the waiting room.  Then I'll think about what I'll do
Cheers,
Judy

simoncasey

I can answer the standby vs deep standby question for the T4. Deep standby is basically shutdown. The only thing that works is to wake it up using the remote or front panel and if it will wake for timers. But basically it will go through the boot up each time. There are issues with deep standby as it willing check icetv etc. .  Standby just switches off the TV signal and the front panel goes to clock. But it is still accessible over the network for streaming livetv and recordings and it will connect to icetv etc. it also wakes up immediately. I would suggest using standby in the first place as there are less issues. The only real downside with standby is that it still consumes a lot more power than deep standby as it is basically still on.