Ready for takeoff ch9

Started by BrisbaneR33, November 14, 2015, 04:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimC

Quote from: BrisbaneR33 on November 15, 2015, 08:48:12 PM
So the FTA guide is more accurate? What are we paying for exactly?

IceTV have to process all the EPGs for all the TV stations throughout Australia.  I have no idea how many there are, but it'll be quite a few.

Essentially the IceTV EPG is provided free.  If you don't log in to the IceTV site that is what you see.

What we pay for is the service that downloads our series recordings to our PVRs so that we don't have to spend an hour or two every week checking all those free FTA EPGs to find out when they are on.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

simoncasey

Quote from: TimC on November 15, 2015, 09:05:24 PM

IceTV have to process all the EPGs for all the TV stations throughout Australia.  I have no idea how many there are, but it'll be quite a few.

Essentially the IceTV EPG is provided free.  If you don't log in to the IceTV site that is what you see.

What we pay for is the service that downloads our series recordings to our PVRs so that we don't have to spend an hour or two every week checking all those free FTA EPGs to find out when they are on.

Whilst I understand that icetv have to go to the effort to update their epg if things change, that is kind of the point of the epg. Also, in relation to the channel nine changes that I was referring to, these have been available all day from channel nine and aren't really last minute.

Are you saying my beyonwiz device can access the icetv epg for free? I disagree with the statement that all we are paying for is the series tracking and downloads. That service has to rely on the epg and is therefore dependant on it. Separating them and saying we only we pay for one makes little sense.

BrisbaneR33

Quote from: simoncasey on November 15, 2015, 09:13:29 PM
Quote from: TimC on November 15, 2015, 09:05:24 PM

The Beyonwiz T4 can do similar with Autotimers, although repeats can be an issue. But if Ice causes the recordings to be scheduled well before the show runs, then really, what is the point?!

TimC

Are you saying my beyonwiz device can access the icetv epg for free?  I disagree with the statement that all we are paying for is the series tracking and downloads. That service has to rely on the epg and is therefore dependant on it.

Agreed the series tracking and downloads are dependent on the EPG. However anyone can access the EPG Online for free. Possibly the App can access it for free as well. That makes it free in my eyes.

I can see that it is a matter of perspective though.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

simoncasey

Quote from: TimC on November 16, 2015, 07:31:13 PM
Are you saying my beyonwiz device can access the icetv epg for free?  I disagree with the statement that all we are paying for is the series tracking and downloads. That service has to rely on the epg and is therefore dependant on it.

Agreed the series tracking and downloads are dependent on the EPG. However anyone can access the EPG Online for free. Possibly the App can access it for free as well. That makes it free in my eyes.

I can see that it is a matter of perspective though.

Yes, I can see you are looking at this from a different perspective to me. I was using the perspective of the icetv epg being on my pvr, which is the device I use to watch TV. To get that I have to pay, so it isn't free.