Ready for takeoff ch9

Started by BrisbaneR33, November 14, 2015, 04:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrisbaneR33

The last couple of weeks the recordings seems to start about half an hour before the show does and consequently the recording ends part way through the show. I am not having this issue with any other show recordings on my Beyonwiz T4. I've tried deleting the IceTV recording for this coming Friday and set an Autotimer on the Beyonwiz instead.

Sydney, 13th November, 7:30pm (the previous Friday same issue).

simoncasey

Isn't it just that the cricket overran?

IanL-S

Quote from: simoncasey on November 14, 2015, 05:16:17 PM

Live sport should be relegated to the info-tainment LCNs so that they do not interfere with serious viewing. :o

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

TimC

Quote from: IanL-S on November 14, 2015, 05:23:15 PM
Live sport should be relegated to the info-tainment LCNs so that they do not interfere with serious viewing. :o
Good luck with that one Ian.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

BrisbaneR33

Ian

Totally agree Ian! But shouldn't Ice TV pick up over runs and adjust the recording accordingly? The strange thing is that the orange bars on the T4 showing the supposed start and end (without buffer) showed the start 3/4 through the recording (which was accurate) with no end?!

csutak40

Ian

I agree with you 100%, but i doubt there are many of us.  Must say, I love lots of sports on TV, gives me a chance to catch up   ;D
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

simoncasey

Quote from: BrisbaneR33 on November 14, 2015, 07:36:38 PM

Ian

Totally agree Ian! But shouldn't Ice TV pick up over runs and adjust the recording accordingly? The strange thing is that the orange bars on the T4 showing the supposed start and end (without buffer) showed the start 3/4 through the recording (which was accurate) with no end?!
The bars on a T4 recording showing start and end come from the FTA signal, not from the icetv guide. For icetv to respond to changes where sport shows overrun, somebody would need to be actively monitoring it and your device would need to check regularly enough for it to be updated. I'm not sure if the FTA guide was updated or not, but if the start and end marks were correct, it sounds as if the FTA guide has been updated for the change.

JPP

This sounds interesting. Are you saying that even though you are using ICETV, that the T series will also look at the FTA EPG and make corrections to the recording start and finish? Be great if it dis that, but would that than also require you to "surf" all services to keep the FTA data up to date. Would that then require you to run EPGRefresh on the TX?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

simoncasey

Quote from: JPP on November 14, 2015, 11:19:17 PM
This sounds interesting. Are you saying that even though you are using ICETV, that the T series will also look at the FTA EPG and make corrections to the recording start and finish? Be great if it dis that, but would that than also require you to "surf" all services to keep the FTA data up to date. Would that then require you to run EPGRefresh on the TX?
No, I'm just talking about the start and end marks that are placed in recordings. These don't come from the FTA epg but are a signal sent as part of the FTA now and next signal. The t4 only has one epg and doesn't track timers unless created by an autotimer.

simoncasey

Also, referring back to my comment about whether the FTA guide is updates for sport overruns, icetv is currently indicating the movie The Bcahelor on GEM but by switching to the FTA guide, in see that gives the correct guide that Love Happens is still on.

I don't know when the FTA epg was updated for this change but it appears to be showing the correct data when icetv is not.

simoncasey

Quote from: simoncasey on November 14, 2015, 11:31:12 PM
Also, referring back to my comment about whether the FTA guide is updates for sport overruns, icetv is currently indicating the movie The Bcahelor on GEM but by switching to the FTA guide, in see that gives the correct guide that Love Happens is still on.

I don't know when the FTA epg was updated for this change but it appears to be showing the correct data when icetv is not.
This is also affecting Nine as icetv shows that Payback is on but in fact a View to a kill is still on.

IanL-S

I suspect that there are technical problems with IceTV updating EPG for these overruns. First, John cannot be on duty 24/7 - I think he has some assistance but he seems to be doing most of the work. Even if he were, he may not pick up the overrun. The other problem is with the PVRs; I suspect those with the newer IceTV API (T4 and SKIPPA) could be updated, but ones using the older API are problematic, particularly Toppys. Pat of the problem is how often the PVR requests EPG update and how often it requests Timer Update. With Toppys, if I recall correctly, they contact the server every 15 minutes, but they alternatively ask for EPG update and Timer Update. (Of course I could be confused about this as this is from my recollection of beta testing back in 2011).

Ian

PS If you are recording the live sport, getting the PVR to 'automatically' extend the recording is another matter.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

simoncasey

Quote from: IanL-S on November 15, 2015, 09:50:12 AM
I suspect that there are technical problems with IceTV updating EPG for these overruns. First, John cannot be on duty 24/7 - I think he has some assistance but he seems to be doing most of the work. Even if he were, he may not pick up the overrun. The other problem is with the PVRs; I suspect those with the newer IceTV API (T4 and SKIPPA) could be updated, but ones using the older API are problematic, particularly Toppys. Pat of the problem is how often the PVR requests EPG update and how often it requests Timer Update. With Toppys, if I recall correctly, they contact the server every 15 minutes, but they alternatively ask for EPG update and Timer Update. (Of course I could be confused about this as this is from my recollection of beta testing back in 2011).

Ian

PS If you are recording the live sport, getting the PVR to 'automatically' extend the recording is another matter.

I agree with you Ian about icetv not being able to update 24/7 but I also think these aren't last minute overruns, channel 9 and gem today are already different for the cricket between icetv and FTA, as I've posted separately.

Tezza007

Even when we notify IceTV about changes/errors, they no longer seem to be doing anything about it

BrisbaneR33

Quote from: simoncasey on November 14, 2015, 11:31:12 PM

So the FTA guide is more accurate? What are we paying for exactly?

I've got a T4 and its set to update every 15 mins from the IceTV server.