Nine Network Changes

Started by Paul55, November 04, 2015, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul55

With the upcoming changes (26 Nov) to the Nine Network channels (including introducing MPEG-4), what will I need to do with my IceTV account to ensure I continue to get the correct EPG?
I assume the PVRs will just need a partial re-scan on the Nine frequency - channel 8 in Brisbane? - and alterations to my favourites lists.
Of note for Beyonwiz DP series units - if your machine uses the 05 series firmware, I understand it won't work properly with MPEG-4 (possibly the HD simulcast channel).

warkus

On that note Paul,

I have in my possession if anyone wants it...

1.07.xxx firmware for ALL Beyonwiz units on the market except S1 & H1.

This includes genuine (not hacked) 1.07.xx firmware for P1, P2, L1 (freeview restricted and unlocked).

I believe that the 1.07.xx firmware supports MPEG-4 broadcasts so with that firmware it should be smooth sailing...

On another note, I believe you can technically run the P1 1.07.xx firmware on an S1 as it's the same mainboard as the P1, so that will overcome any problems encountered there but unfortunately in doing so you will loose WIFI and the DVD drive, but if these are not important to you then it's not an issue. I have personally not tested the P1 firmware in the S1 but I know someone else that has, and being as the mainboard in the P1 and S1 are identical other than WIFI I see no reason that it wouldn't work.

That really only leaves the H1 with issues sadly, I have no firmware that is likely to run on that box.

Mark

Paul55

That sounds like it could help a lot of people Mark.
I was under the misconception that my P1 (a fairly early model - 200GB) would fail if I tried to install the 1.07 firmware on it - looks like I was misinformed.
Not a major problem if I couldn't upgrade as I have a P2 and a Toppy 2400 in the same room - my reason/excuse for not getting a T4 (yet).
The only downside I'm aware of with the 1.07 firmware is that it won't play DVD .iso files.

Edit: From the Beyonwiz website.

For a DP-S1, DP-P1 or DP-H1 use the firmware version 01.05.350.
For a DP-P2 with a serial number lower than 1032098B00000 use firmware version
For a DP-P2 with a serial number higher than 1032098B00000 use firmware version
For a DP-P2TB, DP-Lite, DP-Lite i or FV-L1 use the firmware version 01.07.350.
If you own a DP-P2 then please check the serial number to ensure that you use the
correct firmware version. In the past some units have been shipped with the incorrect
firmware version. Your unit could fail to operate if the incorrect firmware version is
used.

At least I didn't imagine things :o :o

warkus

Yep correct 1.07 broke DVD iso playback.

The 1.07.xx firmware I refer to for the P1 is not publically available, DTC or Beyonwiz never officially released it, not sure why not, but I do have a copy.

Mark

warkus

So all that guff on the wiz website is because of changes in the CPU revision on the P2 machines in some batches...

It goes like this...

1.05.xx was released for the S1, H1, P1, P2, when release these units had a REV B CPU in them. Over time they came out with a Revision C CPU in newer batches, and 1.07.xx came out to go on these units with the newer revision CPUs in them, if I recall it was a codec change or something like that.

Anyway the reason for the warning on the wiz website is because if you installed 1.05.xx firmware onto any wiz that had a REV C CPU in it, you would kill it, and need to do a firmware recovery procedure that only seemed to work on a Windows XP machine. See 1.05.xx firmware works only on those units with a REV B CPU in them.

The 1.07.xx works in any machine whether REV B or REV C so I'm not quite sure why Beyonwiz at that point didn't just remove 1.05.xx altogether and provide a 1.07.xx for each model across the board so that it was not ever an issue and people then didn't need to be caught up in checking serial numbers.

Suffice to say, whilst 1.07.xx is available for the P2, Lite, L1 on their web site, it is not for the P1, but I do have it so if you want it I can email to you...

Mark

Paul55

Thanks for the explanation Mark.
I'll PM you with my email address.

IanL-S

As I understand it all HD Toppy other than the TF7000 and TF7100HDPVRt have tuners that support MPEG4. No idea if the Toppro 2000 supports MPEG4. The next question is, does the firmware support MPEG4. Some years back when there were some 3D broadcasts, the Toppys could record MPEG4 but there were some issues. They seem to have been fixed in subsequent firmware releases - I have had not problems with (limited) testing on RacingCom recordings. The TRF-2100, TRF-2200, TF-T6000 and TF-T6211 use different hardware, and I have not tested them with MPEG 4 recordings. They all claim MPEG4 support but you never know with bees.

In summary, if you have pre December 2012 firmware there could be some issues. I will do some testing and report back.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: warkus on November 04, 2015, 10:21:21 PM...I'm not quite sure why Beyonwiz at that point didn't just remove 1.05.xx altogether and provide a 1.07.xx for each model across the board so that it was not ever an issue and people then didn't need to be caught up in checking serial numbers.

Didn't Paul55 touch on it when he said "The only downside I'm aware of with the 1.07 firmware is that it won't play DVD .iso files"? I have a later model P2 (is that Rev C?) so it doesn't affect me, but for earlier P2 owners (Rev B?) it looks like they have the choice.

Having just observed some people on the Beyonwiz forum updating firmware on P2s from 1.05 to 1.07, it wasn't clear to me before that this was possible. Clearly some people were aware.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

warkus

Playing .iso files isn't going to affect all that many people and besides that if they really wanted (Beyonwiz that is) Im sure they could have updated the firmware to fix it but development stopped sadly.

Either way now you have no choice, update to a 1.07 series firmware or have issues with mpeg-4 broadcasts...

GlenR

Quote from: Paul55 on November 04, 2015, 07:51:08 PM
With the upcoming changes (26 Nov) to the Nine Network channels (including introducing MPEG-4),

OK, I admit I'm probably way out of touch, but can somebody explain or point me to some info on the Nine changes?

Thanks

IanL-S

Quote from: GlenR on November 05, 2015, 12:47:21 PM
Quote from: Paul55 on November 04, 2015, 07:51:08 PM
With the upcoming changes (26 Nov) to the Nine Network channels (including introducing MPEG-4),

OK, I admit I'm probably way out of touch, but can somebody explain or point me to some info on the Nine changes?

Thanks

Yes, that would be useful. The Nine www site has not technical information (MPEG2 or MPEG4 and resolution of any of the LCNs after the change).

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: warkus on November 05, 2015, 11:33:53 AM
Playing .iso files isn't going to affect all that many people and besides that if they really wanted (Beyonwiz that is) Im sure they could have updated the firmware to fix it but development stopped sadly.

Either way now you have no choice, update to a 1.07 series firmware or have issues with mpeg-4 broadcasts...

It probably isn't going to affect as many people as it did in the past. My dim distant recollection (which has now returned to me) was that updating to 1.07 firmware from 1.05 was definitely not favoured by some because of the DVD iso issue. As for no choice, well maybe if Nine HD is to broadcast only AAC-HE v2.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Paul55

Very pleased to report that the firmware upgrade/change from 1.05 to 1.07 on my P1 was seamless. All functions working as they were with no need to rescan or reconnect to IceTV. Just a simple firmware upgrade.
As Mark explained to me in an email, the new firmware calls itself 1.07.070, but is identical in features and functions to 1.07.350.

Thanks again Mark.