What Happens with Skippa when all the Dust Settles

Started by TimC, October 29, 2015, 01:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

Quote from: Paul55 on October 29, 2015, 06:30:20 PM
High temperature + computers (such as a PVR) = component failures

It is so! Older Topfield PVRs (SD and the 7000, 7100 - not the plus) had big problems with heat. In part due to poor quality of the caps on the power supply pcb, and also because the internal HDDs put out a lot of heat. I had power board pcb fail on my 5000 Masterpiece.

As to heat, you could try placing the SKIPPA on a laptop comupter stand -- they have fans that may help although absence of vents on the bottom of the case is not very helpful. Small fans on the top, or inside as done by Phil will reduce the heat build-up appreciably.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Twisterinc

Don't know if this has been answered elsewhere but is the autoskip function still enabled and working on the Skippa? Mine says it is still processing a show that was recorded on the 10th October... All new shows are recorded without autoskip...

TimC

Quote from: Twisterinc on October 30, 2015, 12:04:27 AM
Don't know if this has been answered elsewhere but is the autoskip function still enabled and working on the Skippa? Mine says it is still processing a show that was recorded on the 10th October... All new shows are recorded without autoskip...
Autoskip works fine as long as you have downloaded and installed the latest firmware 1.1.10604. 
The auto update wild not load it as it is not really supported by the New IceTV.

Check out the firmware threads.  There is a link to the download page and instructions there. Its quite easy to do. 

All you need is a thumb drive
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

Twisterinc

Quote from: TimC on October 30, 2015, 12:15:14 AM
Quote from: Twisterinc on October 30, 2015, 12:04:27 AM
Autoskip works fine as long as you have downloaded and installed the latest firmware 1.1.10604. 
The auto update wild not load it as it is not really supported by the New IceTV.

Check out the firmware threads.  There is a link to the download page and instructions there. Its quite easy to do. 

All you need is a thumb drive

All done. See how it goes now...

TimC

One of the things I mentioned in the initial post was the Intellectual property rights of the Firmware.

Can someone in the know provide some insight?

nis200sx

Quote from: TimC on October 30, 2015, 12:15:14 AM

Yes it does. But even if my Skippa stopped working as a PVR I'd probably keep it as a Plex media player and for catchup TV. It is hands down the best catchup TV player I've tried.

Dave

gibster

Would have been really nice to have gotten one   :(
BeyonWiz V2

IanL-S

Quote from: TimC on October 30, 2015, 10:45:03 AM
One of the things I mentioned in the initial post was the Intellectual property rights of the Firmware.

Can someone in the know provide some insight?

I can only speculate. As the firmware is substantially based on the Altech 9600, Altech would presumably own the firmware and have licensed its use in a modified form to the old IceTV for use on the SKIPPA. I would expect that the firmware modules ralating to SKIPPA and IceTV features would be owned by the old IceTV.

The big stumbling block to new firmware is that it appears that only Altech has the complier that packages the firmware so it can be loaded onto the Toppy. So, as far as firmware goes, that is probably the end of the story.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

payandwait

if anyone wants to buy my Skippa let me know.
NOT paying for a subscription as i was supposed to get lifetime subscription with the unit.
email me on jtr6163@gmail.com
;D

so the unit is as new with box and all.

cheers

TimC

Quote from: payandwait on November 08, 2015, 01:22:43 PM
NOT paying for a subscription as i was supposed to get lifetime subscription with the unit.

So you feel that getting all your money from PayPal back means that you can stand on your principles to refuse paying the EPG subscription, but then sell the unit that you told PayPal had no value to someone else.
I suppose you are looking for $417 as well.

Putting your $417 into subscriptions would have given you 4 years of EPG.  Perhaps the Skippa will still be running then. I'm actually beginning to wonder if FTA TV will still be there then.

Seriously though, I hope you get your sale from someone on the forum that understands what they are buying.

I did see a post the other day from someone that seemed to be wishing they had one.

TimC

Quote from: IanL-S on November 05, 2015, 09:37:34 AM
The big stumbling block to new firmware is that it appears that only Altech has the complier that packages the firmware so it can be loaded onto the Toppy. So, as far as firmware goes, that is probably the end of the story.

I just had a thought. I doubt if Altech would ever deal with IceTV again, but I wonder if they would deal with a group of Skippa owners.

Paul55

Quote from: TimC on November 14, 2015, 10:29:52 AM
I doubt if Altech would ever deal with IceTV again, but I wonder if they would deal with a group of Skippa owners.

This statement presupposes that Altech was the aggrieved partner in the Skippa debacle. Remember, Altech made what seems a hasty decision to exit the Australian market. It doesn't seem unlikely that they were the ones who wanted out of the agreement.

TimC

Quote from: Paul55 on November 14, 2015, 04:38:45 PM
This statement presupposes that Altech was the aggrieved partner in the Skippa debacle.
I'm not suggesting who was aggrieved, just business. Generally you don't do business with a company that a deal went sour on.
I am just suggesting that they may be more willing to deal with someone representing a group of people that own one of their products. 
If we could find someone that new enough to fiddle with the code, Altech may be willing to run their compiler over it.

Paul55

Quote from: TimC on November 14, 2015, 07:04:23 PM
willing to deal with someone representing a group of people that own one of their products. 

Could be worth a try. Then we could get a sense of what sort of character Altech has.