IceBox2 and WPA

Started by blip, November 09, 2006, 06:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blip

Are there any tricks to getting WPA working on the IceBox2? The IceBox connects if I turn of WPA but I cannot get it to work with WPA.

peteru

Works for me, without being tricky. You'll need to post more info:

• What is the problem?
  • What make/model of access point are you connecting to?
  • What are your settings on the access point?
  • What are your settings on the IceBox2?

blip

The problem is with WPA enabled the IceBox2 won't connect to the wireless access point. on the Information page it shows

Current Wireless Association 
Access Point: 
Channel: 1 
SSID:

but if I turn of WPA on the IceBox and access point everything works.

On the IceBox the settings are

Security  WPA/WPA2     
WPA mode   WPA-PSK
WPA crypto algorithm   TKIP

On the access point

Security Mode :    WPA Personal
WPA Algorithms :   TKIP

The SSID and WPA shared key is the same on both devices. I am using a 63 character key.

I have tried using 3 different access points, Netgear, Belkin, and Linksys.

georgelaine

Hi there-kind of relieved to know someone has an identical problem.  I even had someone set my security up for me and the icebox2 will not work with my ZyXEL 2020HWL set as follows.  The setting on the icebox matched the following. As soon as I disabled the security the icebox would download the ice files.

ReAuthentication Timer
  (In Seconds) 1800

Idle Timeout
  (In Seconds) 3600
Hope somone has an answer to the problem as I don't like the thought of no security on my wireless router.
cheers -elaine

Key Management Protocol
802.1xWPAWPA-PSK

Pre-Shared Key     password

WPA Group Key Update Timer  1800
  (In Seconds)

The more I learn the less I know

doodoo

I had this problem last year when I first got the Icebox2. After many hours of frustration and hair-tearing I gave up on WPA and changed my network to WEP which works without dramas. I don't have any techie-type answers for why this may be, but WEP offers sufficient security for my network and it works, so no biggie.

Hope this helps

doodoo

deangelj

Had the same problem with the Asus wl-500gP which the Icebox2 is based on. The problem seems to be the fact that the Icebox2/Asus is set up in Station mode which doesn't seem to work with WPA security. If I change the mode to Ethernet bridge is works fine with WPA.

cheers,
John

peteru

That's not right John.

The IceBox2 is configured for bridging and does work with WPA. That's how I've been using it for more than a year.

deangelj

Can you change it from bridge mode Peter? Does the IB require WDS support in the AP to work correctly?

cheers,
john

peteru

Quote from: deangelj on April 22, 2007, 03:41:02 PM
Can you change it from bridge mode Peter?

Not via the GUI, but it can be done via ssh.

QuoteDoes the IB require WDS support in the AP to work correctly?

No.