Getting the epg up to date

Started by simoncasey, October 21, 2015, 12:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Hi IanL-S  we agree with you and look forward to not having any reason for missing shows.

jmac

simoncasey

Quote from: bodogbodog on October 26, 2015, 08:51:55 AM
Quote from: simoncasey on October 26, 2015, 08:25:03 AM
Except the FTA  guide is accurate and currently the icetv guide isn't. If I miss recording 2 or 3 shows a week, why would I pay $8.

If missing 2-3 shows a week (maybe) impacts your life to that extent perhaps you shouldn't pay $7.99 a month
I'm not aware of any SLA's that IceTV commit to in providing this service except "best endeavours"
What's next - service credits for each error in the IceTV guide?
Like I said I would think we could all cut them slack during this transition period - but it seems that's not to be the case
Isn't that my choice?
Aren't we supposed to be bringing up issues with the IceTV content - I thought this is what this topic is for.
Like a lot of people I lost 3 years of pre paid subscriptions and I voted yes that I would continue with the new service. But it needs to be more reliable than currently where there is at least a handful of errors every day. If it stays like this then I will (not maybe) miss 2 or 3 shows a week.
Sure, they're in transition but they have been on the new system for over a week now so the people who keep the epg up to date have had a full week of epg to populate - there is nothing left from the changeover period.
$8 a month is a lot of money to pay for an epg and recording service - whilst there is no SLA it needs to be as good as the FTA eog otherwise it has no added advantage as I can do everything else without it.
That would be a shame as I've used IceTV with hardly a hitch for 8 years.

Mac37

Quote from: simoncasey on October 26, 2015, 10:01:00 AM
Quote from: bodogbodog on October 26, 2015, 08:51:55 AM
Quote from: simoncasey on October 26, 2015, 08:25:03 AM
Except the FTA  guide is accurate and currently the icetv guide isn't. If I miss recording 2 or 3 shows a week, why would I pay $8.

If missing 2-3 shows a week (maybe) impacts your life to that extent perhaps you shouldn't pay $7.99 a month
I'm not aware of any SLA's that IceTV commit to in providing this service except "best endeavours"
What's next - service credits for each error in the IceTV guide?
Like I said I would think we could all cut them slack during this transition period - but it seems that's not to be the case
Isn't that my choice?
Aren't we supposed to be bringing up issues with the IceTV content - I thought this is what this topic is for.
Like a lot of people I lost 3 years of pre paid subscriptions and I voted yes that I would continue with the new service. But it needs to be more reliable than currently where there is at least a handful of errors every day. If it stays like this then I will (not maybe) miss 2 or 3 shows a week.
Sure, they're in transition but they have been on the new system for over a week now so the people who keep the epg up to date have had a full week of epg to populate - there is nothing left from the changeover period.
$8 a month is a lot of money to pay for an epg and recording service - whilst there is no SLA it needs to be as good as the FTA eog otherwise it has no added advantage as I can do everything else without it.

I agree with simoncasey. I find that now I am trolling through commercial FTA guides on other websites, just to make sure that what I've scheduled on ICETV is, infact, going to work. Rather defeats the object of set and forget !

Mac
Mac
Beyonwiz T2 X 2
IceTV Interactive EPG - HDMI to   Linden TV 65

bodogbodog

Isn't that my choice?
Yes It's your choice
Of course we should report issues as we come across them
My original comment was about the tone of some of the posts eg:
Quote from: JPP on October 26, 2015, 07:25:38 AM
I certainly would want to these kind of slip ups to be over in a couple of weeks.
Maybe I'm just a bit over the whole thing - it's been a very difficult period over the last month or so
Like you I've been a long term IceTV customers (as have many others) used to a high quality service, but there are always going to be occasional issues with Guide Content - the TV Stations will always mess with our minds on scheduling
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

IanL-S

John has only been doing the EPG for a few days. We do not know the extent of the briefing, if any, he has had from those previously doing the EPG. There may also be gaps in the documentation of the process to be followed.

I for one am more than willing to put up with these teething problems.

However, it may be in the financial interests of the new operators to defer charging for the service until the reliability of the EPG is at its former level.

Just my 20 cents worth.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

simoncasey

Quote from: bodogbodog on October 26, 2015, 10:50:49 AM
Isn't that my choice?
Yes It's your choice
Of course we should report issues as we come across them
My original comment was about the tone of some of the posts eg:
Quote from: JPP on October 26, 2015, 07:25:38 AM
I certainly would want to these kind of slip ups to be over in a couple of weeks.
Maybe I'm just a bit over the whole thing - it's been a very difficult period over the last month or so
Like you I've been a long term IceTV customers (as have many others) used to a high quality service, but there are always going to be occasional issues with Guide Content - the TV Stations will always mess with our minds on scheduling
Agree entirely, my real concern is that we'll get told sometime this week that the new service is up and running and we have a week's grace before we have to pay - and I'll be sitting in the middle ground between the 99% reliable old service and a current service less than that with just an assumption it will return to what it was plus a price going forward of roughly double what I used to pay. I know I can stop using it at any time but the transition to another method is quite painful to set up.

simoncasey

Quote from: IanL-S on October 26, 2015, 11:05:32 AM
John has only been doing the EPG for a few days. We do not know the extent of the briefing, if any, he has had from those previously doing the EPG. There may also be gaps in the documentation of the process to be followed.

I for one am more than willing to put up with these teething problems.

However, it may be in the financial interests of the new operators to defer charging for the service until the reliability of the EPG is at its former level.

Just my 20 cents worth.

Ian
Hmm, the IceTV rescue nearly went under because they couldn't get the key staff, but in the end the key staff agreed so it went ahead. Interesting that the person who keeps the epg up to date obviously wasn't one of the key staff.
Your point about deferring charging for the service until the reliability of the EPG is at its former level is my key point.

prl

Back on topic...

The IceTV Guide for Canberra Prime7 tonight after the end of the X Factor and early tomorrow morning is quite different from what's in the broadcaster's FTA EPG (I haven't checked any of the web EPGs), and I haven't looked at any days further out.

Canberra Ice Guide:
Today Mon 26 Oct
21:00 - Big Bang Theory
21:30 - Big Bang Theory
22:00 - Grey's Anatomy
23:00 - How To Get Away With Murder
Tomorrow Tue 27 Oct
00:00 - Resurrection
01:00 - Home Shopping
05:30 - Seven Early News

Prime7 Canberra FTA EPG:
Today Mon 26 Oct
21:00 - TBA
22:00 - Big Bang Theory
22:30 - Grey's Anatomy
23:30 - How To Get Away With Murder
Tomorrow Tue 27 Oct
00:30 - Home Shopping (several 30-minute blocks in the EPG)
05:30 - Seven Early News

Could we perhaps take meta-discussion about the quality and cost of the IceGuide to another subject and keep this for reports of inconsistencies between the IceGuide and the broadcasters' guides?

Added:
The Prime7 Canberra FTA EPG also shows different programming from the IceGuide for the very early morning of Wed 28 Oct. Ice shows 00:30 - Red Band Society (60 min), the FTA EPG shows 00:30 - Home shopping, 01:00 - Home Shopping.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

Quote from: prl on October 26, 2015, 01:08:10 PM
Canberra Ice Guide:
Today Mon 26 Oct

Prime7 Canberra FTA EPG:
Today Mon 26 Oct

My IceTV recording started at 22:55 (5 min pre-padding). The program started at about 23:30. 25 min padding wasn't enough to record the end.

Added: Next week's IceGuide entry for HTGAWM (23:15) is better aligned with what the online broadcasters' guide is showing (23:10).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

IanL-S

Quote from: prl on October 27, 2015, 10:20:19 PM
Quote from: prl on October 26, 2015, 01:08:10 PM
Canberra Ice Guide:
Today Mon 26 Oct

Prime7 Canberra FTA EPG:
Today Mon 26 Oct

My IceTV recording started at 22:55 (5 min pre-padding). The program started at about 23:30. 25 min padding wasn't enough to record the end.

Added: Next week's IceGuide entry for HTGAWM (23:15) is better aligned with what the online broadcasters' guide is showing (23:10).

I had 30 minutes padding and got to the end of the program. I am in Melbourne which may be part of the explanation.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on October 26, 2015, 01:08:10 PMCould we perhaps take meta-discussion about the quality and cost of the IceGuide to another subject and keep this for reports of inconsistencies between the IceGuide and the broadcasters' guides?

This was not why this thread was started. I am more concerned to know how many people at IceTV are charged with the task of getting the EPG up to date.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD