Firmware post 1.1.10604

Started by Mantorok, October 21, 2015, 09:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mantorok

Daniel/Dave,

Is there any new firmware currently in the works (either in development or testing) or is 1.1.10604 the last firmware we can expect for the foreseeable future?

If 1.1.10604 is the last firmware that's fine.  I'd just like to know so I can determine if I want to keep my Skippa or not. Not knowing is worse!

Regards,
Mantorok

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Mantorok on October 21, 2015, 09:26:56 AM
Daniel/Dave,

Is there any new firmware currently in the works (either in development or testing) or is 1.1.10604 the last firmware we can expect for the foreseeable future?

If 1.1.10604 is the last firmware that's fine.  I'd just like to know so I can determine if I want to keep my Skippa or not. Not knowing is worse!

I don't know of any new firmware currently in the works so I suspect that 1.1.10604 could well be the last firmware.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

bodogbodog

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 21, 2015, 05:13:27 PM
I don't know of any new firmware currently in the works so I suspect that 1.1.10604 could well be the last firmware.

That is very sad news indeed
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Mantorok

Yes that is sad but I'd prefer to know rather than not know. I appreciate you being honest with us Dave.

create

If this is the last firmware update does this mean that my skippa is going to always be intrinsically tied to icetv?  So I can never use a free to air guide?

IanL-S

Quote from: create on October 22, 2015, 02:03:28 PM
If this is the last firmware update does this mean that my skippa is going to always be intrinsically tied to icetv?  So I can never use a free to air guide?

I suspect this is the case. :'( Looking at the information displayed when the SKIPPA boots it looks as if the IceTV module is loaded separately, but there is no way to stop it from loading. And, if you can, I doubt that you will be able to use an alternative EPG source.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

create

So I am held to ransom to pay the $7.99/month or my skippa becomes a brick? 
What is the future of ad skipping?  Do I have to pay to keep it working too?

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: create on October 22, 2015, 03:27:31 PM

As far as I know ad skipping will continue to work on all skippas as long as you have an active IceTV account.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

TimC

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 22, 2015, 03:49:04 PM
Quote from: create on October 22, 2015, 03:27:31 PM

As far as I know ad skipping will continue to work on all skippas as long as you have an active IceTV account.

I know that all this wasn't IceTVs original intent, but "create" has a point.  All those with Skippas and no other PVRs are now essentially held to ransom.

For those of us that have other PVRs its no big deal. We were paying for the service before and apart from some lost subscription things go on as before.
If we decide to withdraw from IceTV, its no big deal we can switch our devices over to the FTA guide and carry on. Personnaly I have no desire to do this.

However those who purchased a Skippa with a lifetime subscription are now in a position where they either pay up or use their Skippa as an anchor.

For these people they have a device that because IceTV resurrected continues to work, which probably means that any claim through PayPal or a credit card company is probably doomed to fail. There's no point returning the device, you just end up being an unsecured creditor. 
There is no way the even break even.

While its really just a point of perspective, I can appreciate how they feel. What a mess.

I wonder how many Skippa owners are in this position.

I am guessing the Intellectual Property rights for the firmware is held by UEC/Altech.
What is the lagal standpoint on hacking a firmware for a device that no longer supported?

Is there anybody in the group with the skills to hack it?

Its a real pity, because the Skippa had the potential to be the best PVR on the market.
If a few pretty minor instabilities were ironed out it would be, but it appears that is not to be.

Its all a bit disheartening really.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

Dave at IceTV

There are people who still want to buy a Skippa, or have 1 and want a 2nd one, so there is a market for working as-new Skippas.

I suspect there'd also be a 2nd-hand market for the handful of Skippas that freeze because there's a very good chance that a new power supply for $30+postage will get them working properly.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

stretch4x4

Hmm well I would certainly consider selling mine..

I have to agree with Tim, this is my first PVR and I was hoping it would be my last as it seemed to tick all the boxes..

But I preordered knowing it had a lifetime subscription, I am not sold on having to fork over a monthly fee to have the thing continue to work.. Also think there are still bugs and features that need addressing so without further updates I can't see it being a long term solution unfortunately..

I originally purchased it to use it to stream live tv to a computer in another room but I am pretty sure this feature will never see the light of day :( I guess we can only hope that the hardware reemerges in another form and we can piggyback off it's firmware..

TimC

Quote from: stretch4x4 on October 22, 2015, 10:17:12 PM
Hmm well I would certainly consider selling mine..
This might be worth starting a new thread under General
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)