IceTV Resurrected

Started by Dave at IceTV, October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkwilson

Quote from: grb2002 on November 07, 2015, 08:06:10 PM
So, I've done the right thing and re-subscribed today. My Account says my expiry date is in 29 days!
I know it's only a couple of days, but given all the pre-payments we have lost, I assumed my 30 days would start at the end of the grace period. Way to reward your loyal subscribers!
Or am I just a miserable git who should get over it?
Anyway, remind me to wait until a few days after the end of the month next time.

I suspect if you'd just hit 'enable auto-renew' and supplied your card details from there, then your new subscription would start at the end of the grace period. That's exactly what happened with my account.

IanL-S

The way it looks to me, carry-over access was structured as a trial subscription. With trial subscriptions when you take out a full subscription it starts from the date you take out the subscription. I suspect it would be far too difficult to do a one of system for the carry-over period.

I for one am not concerned about this.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Stomick

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on November 05, 2015, 12:37:07 PM
Quote from: Tezza007 on November 05, 2015, 12:33:45 AM
Where's my weeks grace gone? I've suddenly been cut off

Expired accounts are still active and will work for another week.

We found a bug that accidentally caused T series Beyonwiz PVRs and Skippas (and maybe Humax PVRs) to incorrectly expire immediately.

I have a Topfield and my account appears to have expired on the 5th...

Mac37

On the 5th I clicked on the auto-renew, and gave my card details etc.
The bar at the top said - your account will expire on the 10th November
Today, at 6 minutes past midnight (9th Nov) , I got an email saying they had taken my first payment
Invoice 2255
And now my expiry date is December 10th.
Brilliant.  :)

Mac
Mac
Beyonwiz T2 X 2
IceTV Interactive EPG - HDMI to   Linden TV 65

tonymy01

Good to know,I wondered if it was the right way to do things. You have 5 more days of subscription than I then :(
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

rsquires

It's getting near when my IceTV will be gone as I have decided to not continue my subscription. I have in the past paid yearly and recently got deals with my Humax PVR. I guess I am an old timer in terms of being a fairly early adopter to the service. But things have moved on and I now pay $10.00 for Stan, $9.99 for Spotify etc. I really can't justify subscribing to an EPG guide, just so I can record stuff from my phone. For $2 more I get actual content, not the ability to record content that no doubt has ads etc. I'd seriously think about it if it were cheaper but really I have Foxtel too which has a pretty robust app for recording content and setting up series links. Also for instance Fargo should have recorded for some reason but it didn't. Maybe something to do with what's going on behind the scenes. But I caught up with it using SBS ON Demand. This really ultimately negates the whole PVR technology in my opinion.  I have enjoyed IceTV and am sad to see it go and be in the financial difficulty it is, but price wise this is a luxury that in todays economy (as well as shifts in the way we view and consume content) will be a hard sell I think.

Mantorok

My Auto-Renew was also processed this morning.  All looks good with expiry date now set at 10-Dec.  Invoice # 2345

Jondalar

My auto-renew was processed at 11:14 QLD time which I guess is 12:14 NSW/VIC.  Invoice #2010.

I tend to agree with rsquires post, I too have had IceTV a long time, and I've almost always bought the subscription when there was a $50 / year offer.  I had credit up until 2018 so to lose that, plus the lifetime subscription with the Skippa was painful.  I've only renewed currently because the Skippa is a bit useless without it, plus I've not got into the streaming services, no one of them has everything I want.  I had a 6mth free trial of Presto, don't think I even watched one show.  Maybe this will change in the future.

TimC

Quote from: rsquires on November 09, 2015, 11:57:10 AM
but price wise this is a luxury that in todays economy (as well as shifts in the way we view and consume content) will be a hard sell I think.

Not quite yet, but it is an interesting point I have been beginning to ponder.

As TV stations are beginning to move towards streaming their content.
How long will they continue to broadcast their content over the air?

In some ways it is sort of comforting to simply choose what what we want to watch from what is broadcast.
How long will we let TV stations continue to choose what we watch?

It looks like a paradigm shift is looming. Where will IceTV fit in all this?

On the other hand, I'm not really looking forward to scanning through masses of choices to work out what I want to watch tonoght.
What sort of service will we all need to help sort through the masses of content that is available for streaming?
Netflix, Stan, FetchTV, how many more to we need to sign up to?

I wonder how long it will be before the various prodiction houses begin to cut out the middlemen and stream their own content.

Hmmm.

Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

Dreamer

For me, as a very new user (came on board with the Skippa, staying because of the Skippa, which has a fantastic UI in many ways), the great value of IceTV is in discovery.  As TV fragments more and more, discovery becomes more important, not less.  Youtube is a huge provider in the online video-media industry, dwarfing all the streaming players which we're talking about, and Youtube is a discoverability nightmare, regardless of its excellent searchability.  (The difference, as I'm using the terms, is that discoverability finds stuff that you're interested in and presents it to you -- a la the content that IceTV's My Week page shows according to searches that you've set in response to app prompts.  Searchability is passive, merely finding hits against a search term when you do a search.)

The challenge for IceTV to enter such a market, though, is a technical one.  The infrastructure around discoverability of visual media will be more complex than the relatively constrained market of Australian FTA TV.

Nonetheless, there is an opportunity there, so IceTV aren't necessarily stuck in a dead end, so long as you (or they, rather) understand their key benefits.

TimC

Quote from: Dreamer on November 09, 2015, 02:55:20 PM
As TV fragments more and more, discovery becomes more important, not less.

Yes, you make a good point.

If I do a google search for a "Police Procedural Drama" video, I get 12,700 results.  How you get from there to a show I would like is a whole other story.

More often than not you don't know you like something until you try it.  I have little faith that software will be able to reliably predict what I would like.
Basing it on popularity certainly isn't the answer.

Worse! Even if someone comes up with something, I can see marketing finding ways around it.

The more I think about entertainment in the future, the less I like it.
I wonder if it is going to take longer to find a good show to watch than it will take to watch it.

I remember my sister who lived in Townsville when there was only one commercial channel commenting, that the TV programming was pretty good, because the only got the good shows. There wern't any arguments about the remote either, although that may have been before remotes anyway.

Oh dear, I think I am getting old. I had better go for a walk and see if I can find my way back home.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

csutak40

Quote from: tonymy01 on November 09, 2015, 08:34:00 AM
Good to know,I wondered if it was the right way to do things. You have 5 more days of subscription than I then :(

Me too!  I suppose the $1.30 lost is not going to send us bankrupt, but it would have been nice to make everyone's "renewal" start on the same day  ;)  This way, those of us that were "early adapters" got penalised   :D
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

Vortical

I wonder how many people they need to keep the business viable.

Not sure that around 2500 is enough given the invoice numbers floating around.

Shadow

Maybe IceTV are being a bit cautious this time around and aren't taking subscriptions incase it goes belly up.

Better for a few to lose $8 instead of year or twos subscription, as i did.

simoncasey

I think the main issue with the invoice number is just that is the number of people who have already subscribed manually. Those who have activated auto renew won't have been invoiced until the free period expires, which is today. There will probably be a big increase in subscribers from tomorrow.