IceTV Resurrected

Started by Dave at IceTV, October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atreides83

Quote from: jgriffin on November 04, 2015, 02:41:00 PM
Has everyone else got their subscription email?

Here's the text:

--

Dear valued subscriber,

We are pleased to announce that IceTV is now back with a simple $7.99/month subscription.

The payment gateway will go live at midnight 4 November and at that time all existing accounts will have one more week of EPG data and recording schedules to allow everyone time to re-subscribe on the IceTV website without interruption to their IceTV service.

The IceTV website will continue as before except for the simplified subscription package, with auto renew available if desired. The free smartphone apps remain the same, including the free smartphone app service for app users who don't own a compatible recorder. Your current IceTV user name and password will remain the same and the monthly subscription will cover up to 5 recording devices in the same account.

We sincerely hope you continue to subscribe to our service so that we can supply you with an invaluable way of recording and enjoying TV at your leisure.

Kind regards,

Colin O'Brien
CEO, TV TV Australia Pty Ltd.

Copyright © 2015 TV TV Australia Pty Ltd trading as IceTV. Support: 1300 654 803, ABN: 84 608 820 891.
Privacy Policy / IceTV Online store / IceTV Forums / Unsubscribe / Contact us / IceTVBusiness

JPP

I image that the issue getting in the way of offering a discounted monthly rate for pre-paid subscriptions is that the vast majority of their customer base have pre-paid subscriptions. I think the principle of offering a discount to those who've lost their pre-paid subs is a good one, but I think that it most probably isn't a viable commercial proposition, particularly if you were to offer a discounted rate for the number of years most pre-paid subs are likely to have been for.

It would be nice though if the new management, i.e. Colin O'Brien, were to come on the Forum and give us a bit more of a heads up and perhaps confirm that that is the case, although we may never be sure of course that we will get to the bottom of all of this.

Either way, I hope the new ICETV (2) can keep going as I have a Skippa which I'm very happy with.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

nis200sx

Quote from: Atreides83 on November 04, 2015, 02:20:39 PM
But we can all see that the CEO of the new company is the same as the old one.

The old IceTV CEO is not working for the new IceTV or TV TV.
Dave

TimC

Quote from: nis200sx on November 04, 2015, 03:38:29 PM

Where does this information come from.  It seems at odds with othere info we have seen e.g. Administrator's report.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

nis200sx

Quote from: TimC on November 04, 2015, 03:48:33 PM
Quote from: nis200sx on November 04, 2015, 03:38:29 PM

Where does this information come from.  It seems at odds with othere info we have seen e.g. Administrator's report.

The old IceTV's CEO was Heinz Hermann. The new IceTV's (TV TV's) CEO is Colin O'Brien.
Dave

warkus

Your playing games...

Just because 1 of 3 players of the old IceTV is no longer involved, doesn't mean the other 2 aren't...

Stop being pedantic.

It's the same owners, simple!

simoncasey

Same owner but the CEO is different.

One of the issues I have with the cost side of things is that we are told that the new company has to pay a licence back to the old icetv which may impact costs. That money paid will go to the old icetv to pay the administrators, the staff and the secured creditors. However the biggest secured creditor of the old icetv is the owner of the new icetv so does that money actually go anywhere?

TimC

Quote from: simoncasey on November 04, 2015, 04:04:21 PM
so does that money actually go anywhere?

Pretty much it will go into the Admistrator's pocket. Colin will see very little of it.

sdcl

I'm with artroom - my annual subscription was automatically deducted just a few days before the administrators were called in.  If the new company wants to keep me as a customer there will need to be some recognition of this - eg I get 6 months instead of 12 or 50% off for the next 12 months etc.

As it stands the attitude stinks and I'll be choosing not to renew.

simoncasey

Quote from: TimC on November 04, 2015, 04:08:41 PM
Quote from: simoncasey on November 04, 2015, 04:04:21 PM
so does that money actually go anywhere?

Pretty much it will go into the Admistrator's pocket. Colin will see very little of it.
From that we can work out the maximum that needs to be paid to buy the business.
From the creditors report, the priority costs are $125,000 and there is nothing left after that.
The total assets are $27,000 of debtors and cash plus the business and assets sale which is a withheld amount. Therefore the business sale must be less than $98,000 and that will include the cost of any office based assets that get passed to the new company but they will obviously have other startup costs relating to overdrafts, leases, staff costs etc.

The way I understand it, there would be little point in the new company paying any more for the business than the $98,000 as they will just get that money back as the secured creditor.

Now, I'm not saying that I begrudge anybody any of the money or that I feel the new company "owes" the subscribers anything, but it does seem that there is an opportunity to show something. Personally, I think they missed a trick with the price. I think they should have gone with $10 a month but given recognition to people's years of commitment with discounts of up to 50%. It would have ended up with the same income but those most put out would feel like they got something back. Obviously it is too late now.

Paul55

C'mon guys (assuming guys, as girls don't whinge this much 8)). At $7.99, the monthly rate is considerably lower than the old $13 monthly rate.
It's even lower than the old standard annual rate.
If you don't want to play, take your bat and ball and go home, but stop being wet blankets. Many of us are happy that IceTV is continuing as an optional service. Also, grow up and stop the emotive claptrap about being ripped off and paying twice and the suggestions of some sort of immoral behavior.
There's nothing like a bit of adversity to reduce ones faith in human behaviour.

artroom

Quote from: Paul55 on November 04, 2015, 04:39:31 PM
Also, grow up and stop the emotive claptrap about being ripped off and paying twice and the suggestions of some sort of immoral behavior.

So if you walked into a shop and handed over a hundred dollars to the cashier, and they said "Oops, just lost that. You'll have to pay again" you're the person who would go "Sure thing, I don't mind paying twice."

HPN54L with WHS2011 - DVBLogic - 2x HDHomeruns

TimC

Quote from: artroom on November 04, 2015, 04:50:45 PM
So if you walked into a shop and handed over a hundred dollars to the cashier, and they said "Oops, just lost that. You'll have to pay again" you're the person who would go "Sure thing, I don't mind paying twice."

Sure, I'd look around for another shop.  If there was one.

Let me know if there's another IceTV type service.  I'd be happy to give it a try.

simoncasey

Quote from: TimC on November 04, 2015, 05:13:49 PM
Quote from: artroom on November 04, 2015, 04:50:45 PM

Sure, I'd look around for another shop.  If there was one.

Let me know if there's another IceTV type service.  I'd be happy to give it a try.
It depends on the device you use. A pvr that can access the fta epg and will do series recordings with remote access will be 90% of the IceTV service for no cost. For me IceTV has provided a convenient, well run service in the past but it's not irreplaceable. And I'm not finding the epg as up to date as it used to be.

But I realise that for some, IceTV is an essential and I only bought my pvr when I knew it supported IceTV.

TimC

I know you can do series recordings off the FTA, but you get repeats as well, at least on my Toppys I do. 
Then you have to try to work out if you have seen it or not.

These days I really don't want to muck around with all the research.  In that brief time when IceTV seemed to be shutting down for good, I started looking around for an alternative.  I couldn't find anything close.

I haven't seen anybody in these forums talking about anything similar either.  As I said if there was another shop...